R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #1111
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
Any update on the "heavy" lipo?

Would it be appropriate to go ahead and make a thread about it in the electric off-road section?
We are getting close to releasing final specs. I would not start a thread until these are public as I am sure yet another speculation thread is not really needed.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #1112
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mt. Holly, NC
Posts: 1,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBrown View Post
With Team Orion setting the standards for lipo dimensions and electrical connections, it seems there is now a greater opportunity for RC car makers like Associated, Losi, Tamiya, XRay, etc to provide quick-change battery mechanisms in their car designs. Electric main events could be longer, comparable to gas main events. I think this would be popular, especially with the hardcore racer types who are early adopters of lipo. Obviously it would benefit Team Orion by selling more lipos!

Is this something that Team Orion is actively promoting, with sample designs, etc?

Perhaps Kyosho can lead the way in this area with their car designs?

--mark
Why a quick change when you can use an 8000 mah MaxAmps battery and get around 30 minutes of non-stop no pit man required run time that you don't even need a battery change for that the battery is almost the same size and weight as a 6 cell nickel pack that most RC cars are designed for.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #1113
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,664
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Rick - Mr. Black...Peak/Orion peeps.

Can I use this charger with the Carbon and/or Power - Platinum Edition Lipos? The helicopter crowd I know say that is one of the best Lipo balancer/chargers they know of so I'm interested in using it.





http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #1114
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Rick - Mr. Black...Peak/Orion peeps.

Can I use this charger with the Carbon and/or Power - Platinum Edition Lipos? The helicopter crowd I know say that is one of the best Lipo balancer/chargers they know of so I'm interested in using it.





http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4
Yes you can use this however you may need to either purchase or build an adapter as I do not beleive this charger has small alligator clips or adapters designed for RC Car batteries.

I would ask FMA as they may even provide the proper adapter neeeded.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #1115
Regional Moderator
 
ImGoinRCn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn
Default

Mr Black, you've got a PM
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #1116
Regional Moderator
 
ImGoinRCn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn
Default

I didn't go back through and read every post but I have 2 small problems.

I just bought a new 4800 Orion LiPo and also a new Novak Smart Stop and did everything as instructions stated.

First problem is, When I charge my LiPo on my Advantage charger, it charged up til 8.39 volts and then slowly started backing off charge amps on it's own then 56 minutes later, it said it was peaked. I'd assume that it goes up to 8.4 volts and stops, correct? The mAh didn't even get close to 4800. I searched a little but found nothing to tell me what numbers to look for. I think it went to 3 thousand and something and that's where it peaked.

Second problem, after the pack was charged, I set the Smart Stop up, as stated on the instructions with no problem. I hooked the LiPo up in the car and when you give it throttle, it stutters really bad. Sometimes it does it when you roll in the throttle. Is it the same "cogging" that happens in my mamba on my 18T? Sorry about the not descibing it well but I hope you see my point. I'm also running a Novak 5.5 BL system on a TC3. I never had the stuttering issue before the LiPo and Smart Stop. Would setting up the Smart Stop with a 4200IB make a difference? Thanks for any and all help.

Heath
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #1117
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I'm not sure about the stuttering issue with the SmartStop, someone else will have to comment on that. You may consider trying it without the SmartStop to see if you have the same problem, to see if that's what's causing the trouble. What ESC are you using?

The other part is perfectly normal, though. LiPos charge different than NiMH. You'll see it start to back off the amperage as it reaches 8.4V and eventually shut off. This is exactly how it's supposed to work. It didn't take a "full" charge because they've got some charge in them from the factory already. Don't worry about if it's full of half-full, with LiPo, just charge until it shuts off and run. Just be mindful of pulling it off before it dumps, you don't want to discharge them too far. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoinRCn View Post
I didn't go back through and read every post but I have 2 small problems.

I just bought a new 4800 Orion LiPo and also a new Novak Smart Stop and did everything as instructions stated.

First problem is, When I charge my LiPo on my Advantage charger, it charged up til 8.39 volts and then slowly started backing off charge amps on it's own then 56 minutes later, it said it was peaked. I'd assume that it goes up to 8.4 volts and stops, correct? The mAh didn't even get close to 4800. I searched a little but found nothing to tell me what numbers to look for. I think it went to 3 thousand and something and that's where it peaked.

Second problem, after the pack was charged, I set the Smart Stop up, as stated on the instructions with no problem. I hooked the LiPo up in the car and when you give it throttle, it stutters really bad. Sometimes it does it when you roll in the throttle. Is it the same "cogging" that happens in my mamba on my 18T? Sorry about the not descibing it well but I hope you see my point. I'm also running a Novak 5.5 BL system on a TC3. I never had the stuttering issue before the LiPo and Smart Stop. Would setting up the Smart Stop with a 4200IB make a difference? Thanks for any and all help.

Heath
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #1118
Regional Moderator
 
ImGoinRCn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn
Default

Thanks for the input, syndrome. I figured it went to 8.4v and shut off.

I'm using the GTB that came with the 5.5.

I tried it with the LiPo and it studders and with a IB4200 it doesn't. I'll try at the track without the Smart Stop. I know not to let it get down to a certain voltage. After each race, I'll just charge the pack to be safe. Been doing this for 20 years and this LiPo stuff is different. Maybe I need to address this to Novak instead of Orion.

Thanks again for the help so far.
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #1119
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Yea, the LiPo thing is different, but it's definitely not hard. If anything, it's easier once you get your head around how it all works.

I'd try the LiPo w/o the cutoff and see if the problem persists. If not, you can likely isolate that as the issue, and give Novak's customer service a ring.

I've been running LiPo with a GTB for about 9 months now without a cutoff and haven't had any trouble. I just charge the battery (4800) after a 5 minute race, and it usually only takes 1500-2000 mAh. I hear it's very apparent when it's time to pull the car off if you run it until the battery is drained, as long as you pay attention. I've never gone that far, I just play it safe and keep them charged between races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoinRCn View Post
Thanks for the input, syndrome. I figured it went to 8.4v and shut off.

I'm using the GTB that came with the 5.5.

I tried it with the LiPo and it studders and with a IB4200 it doesn't. I'll try at the track without the Smart Stop. I know not to let it get down to a certain voltage. After each race, I'll just charge the pack to be safe. Been doing this for 20 years and this LiPo stuff is different. Maybe I need to address this to Novak instead of Orion.

Thanks again for the help so far.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #1120
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: astoria, NY
Posts: 233
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

so is there going to be a orion 6000 mah LIPO? is there any information leaked about this?
cheech4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #1121
Regional Moderator
 
ImGoinRCn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Yea, the LiPo thing is different, but it's definitely not hard. If anything, it's easier once you get your head around how it all works.

I'd try the LiPo w/o the cutoff and see if the problem persists. If not, you can likely isolate that as the issue, and give Novak's customer service a ring.

I've been running LiPo with a GTB for about 9 months now without a cutoff and haven't had any trouble. I just charge the battery (4800) after a 5 minute race, and it usually only takes 1500-2000 mAh. I hear it's very apparent when it's time to pull the car off if you run it until the battery is drained, as long as you pay attention. I've never gone that far, I just play it safe and keep them charged between races.
I took it to the track last night and tried it without the smartstop that that cured it. I'll address this with Novak then. I'm pretty impressed with this LiPo pack, pretty stout and a track record...thanks for the help again.
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #1122
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoinRCn View Post
I took it to the track last night and tried it without the smartstop that that cured it. I'll address this with Novak then. I'm pretty impressed with this LiPo pack, pretty stout and a track record...thanks for the help again.
Does your Novak come with the LiPo cut off? I know mine does.
Could it be that one cut off is interfering with the other cut off?

I just got hold of a Trakpower LiPo 4900 yesterday, had a brief track run and it felt quicker.
MotoGP just finished on TV, so now I'm off to do back to back at the track between TO 4800 and Trakpower 4900.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #1123
Regional Moderator
 
ImGoinRCn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
Does your Novak come with the LiPo cut off? I know mine does.
Could it be that one cut off is interfering with the other cut off?

I just got hold of a Trakpower LiPo 4900 yesterday, had a brief track run and it felt quicker.
MotoGP just finished on TV, so now I'm off to do back to back at the track between TO 4800 and Trakpower 4900.
I'm not really sure. When I buy something new, I usually read the instructions thoroughly and sometimes more than once before doing anything. I'm going to go back and look through it again to see if I missed anything. I'll check with novak probably tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks again, I appriciate all the help so far.
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #1124
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

TrakPower says their batteries are good in racing for 100 cycles, and practice for 200. That's lower than the figures we see for the Orion/Kokam batteries, but I believe TP uses Enerland which is still a respected brand. Definitely let us know how the two compare on the track.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #1125
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: astoria, NY
Posts: 233
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

hyperion also uses the enerland cells, those should be a Lipo to look at also.
__________________
DTX Evader ST Pro Brushless, Tx Mini E-Revo VXL
cheech4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ORION PLATINUM 4800 LIPO sedanracer8 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 21 12-18-2007 08:09 PM
>>> Orion Platinum 4800 Lipo <<< rraden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 10-22-2007 09:55 AM
Is the Mamba Max 7700 to much for the Platinum 4800 Lipo _pilot_ Electric On-Road 2 10-10-2007 01:52 PM
Team Orion Platinum Lipo Pack danjoy25 Australia For Sale/Trade 0 05-10-2006 04:26 PM
FS Orion Platinum Lipo!!! Glowster21 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 20 04-05-2006 06:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:52 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net