R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #1021
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Mr. Black heres a picture of my custom lipo brushless case.
I heard of your lunch box test station.
Tell me that does not save some space.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 08-21-2008 at 08:03 AM.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #1022
TEM
Tech Regular

Whats the ambient temperature and what temp do your lipos come off the track at after running what class?
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #1023
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
Whats the ambient temperature and what temp do your lipos come off the track at after running what class?
When I run a modified brushless 4.5 or 5.5, 107 degrees.

When I run brushless 4300 between 94 and 98 degrees.

I have only ran 13.5 twice and the warmth to the touch really never urged me to check it.

This is running GTB foam, sedan. On carpet, in a controlled climate environment, around 70 degrees.
Medium size track but fast.

Platinum 4800's.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #1024
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well,

My club is debating allowing Lipo's. As per any discussion, there are people that want to, and some that don't.

I plan on getting a Platinum 4800 and I would like to perform the following test:

Log the pack voltage (4 times a second) over a 30A discharge load for the Lipo and a race matched 4200.

Is there any problem loading a Lipo with a 30A discharge with a 5.4V volt cut-off (INtegy Toaster to be used).

Thanks
CaliberX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #1025
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
I ran mine in 90 weather outside last year and the hottest mine ever came off the track at was 98 degrees. That was while running a Checkpoint 19t Moneymotor in rubber TC class.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #1026
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
I'm kind of wondering something a bit off the Orion Platinum topic...

For those of you guys trying to get them to be allowed at club events, and finding people arguing against allowing them, what are their reasons?

I have read this entire thread, and every excuse or argument I can think of for NOT allowing them is intelligently countered here in some way by someone with experience and information.

I'm just trying to figure out how and why this information is not more available to those who aren't familiar or comfortable with the technology.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #1027
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliberX
Is there any problem loading a Lipo with a 30A discharge with a 5.4V volt cut-off (INtegy Toaster to be used).

Thanks
5.4V cut off is too low for the 2 cell LiPo pack. If you can get something where you can adjust the cut off voltage to be between 6V and 6.4V than there is no problem to discharge it with 30A. A Turbo GFX or a CDR-5000 would do the job.
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #1028
Tech Adept

Disclaimer - we are a 100% member owned and operated club with a permanent facility.

Some issues the members are seeing (this was tabulated through our discussions). I agree with some, and other are BS as far as I am concerned.

Pro's
* Easy to maintain
* Cheaper overall
* Lighter
* Can be charged in advance of the meet
* Simple (easier sell of our hobby to newcomers)

Con's
* Unsafe
* Need a new charger
* Expensive
* Lighter (they are coming out with weighted packs)
* Not ROAR approved
* 7.4 vs 7.2volt
* Unknown / Unproven overall cheapness (voodoo tricks will not come out until ROAR approved and allowed in main stream racing)
* Racers set-up for our club can't participate elsewhere without NiMh's
*Devalue of current charging equipement
Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #1029
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Good to hear honest feedback...

But this is the only one to me that has REAL truth to most people who are against them:

* Devalue of current charging equipment
Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #1030
Tech Adept

I agree - those with 2 GFX's and all the other jazz could have issues.

To me - the biggest issue as a consumer is the fact that if I get geared up for Lipo Only - I can't go to my neighboring clubs to attend one of their races. This is not related to Lipo technology per say, but in my opinion, affects the decision making for quite a few people.

That being said - I've ordered a Platinum and will test and hope to prove to our members that we should allow them on a voluntary basis with warnings to the new people that they are limited to run only at our track and cannot attend the Canadian challenge or any of the big races in Toronto or Montreal or elsewhere.

My LHS says that they cannot carry Orion's stuff because of some shipping issues. Odd as I ordered from Great Hobbies (Canadian Internet Shop) with no apparent problems.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #1031
TEM
Tech Regular

I got a T35 but somehow I'm not inclined to put my lipos to it and discharging at 30amps. Yes I'm chicken! I posted before; I've used a lot of lipos (I fly airplanes too) but do NOT deem them safe. Realistically; sub C cells aren't that safe either. I've heard the "bang" of them exploding twice at the track! I was hoping the manufacturers will post the discharge data but they don't, which really surprise me!

Forget the discharge data. There are enough people that used them with good enough results it's gotten me to invest on 1 4800PE and a 3200racespec (which I just got in the mail today). I didn't have the time to get my car setup correctly for the different weight and power response of the lipo but the "power" is good. Didn't feel as punchy as a good nimh. Top end is better.

Originally I was told they don't heat up thats why I got curious to asking what temp others gotten after running. I didn't temp my 4800 but when it came off the track after about 4 minutes (19T TC, rubber, ozite, mixed layout) a tad warm (not WARM like nimh but can feel it's risen in temp). I don't suppose you guys just throw it back on the charger without letting it cool off by 10 first?

For how many decent cycles you can get out of an IB4200 and for how many ICE chargers I can get for the price of my T35... Lipo's are a no-brainer! Keeping my fingers crossed until voodoo tricks come out, lipo batt war, and new rules and new regulatory standard for lipos come out!.. THEN it would SUCK A$$ like all other aspects of the hobby right now!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #1032
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
I don't suppose you guys just throw it back on the charger without letting it cool off by 10 first?
Everything I have read, says throw them right back on the charger and they actual cool while charging.

I'm re-learning everything associated with batteries and motors lately.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #1033
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Everything I have read, says throw them right back on the charger and they actual cool while charging.

I'm re-learning everything associated with batteries and motors lately.

From what I've seen on here, the IR is much lower, so they don't get as hot while discharging.

Charging doesn't cool them, but it doesn't heat them up and they just cool down because they're not working hard. They definitely cool while charging, though. You can take them out of the car pretty warm and they're cool to the touch in 20-30 minutes while charging.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #1034
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
I don't suppose you guys just throw it back on the charger without letting it cool off by 10 first?
I never let mine cool off before putting them back on the charger. They get cooler while they are charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
For how many decent cycles you can get out of an IB4200 and for how many ICE chargers I can get for the price of my T35... Lipo's are a no-brainer! Keeping my fingers crossed until voodoo tricks come out, lipo batt war, and new rules and new regulatory standard for lipos come out!.. THEN it would SUCK A$$ like all other aspects of the hobby right now!
I'm kinda on the fence as to what I want to see happen with LiPo. I want everyone who comes here and says their fighting to run them at their track to be like it is in our area, where we run LiPo, and really didn't have to fight hard to get it that way. At the same time though, i have no interest in seeing ROAR legalize them. Because thats when things will go down hill fast.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #1035
TEM
Tech Regular

I've personally only seen things go bad with lipos on those "Lipo charging bunker" videos selling boxes or bags to put over your lipo when charging them to keep them from exploding. I've had them in airplanes that crashed and "bowed" the lipo so it looks like a banana when you look it it from the side! No explosion yet. Still gives voltage but I threw it out to be on the safe side.

I'll be running outdoor in like 2 weeks and my club is allowing lipo and we don't even got a weight limit on the classes!