R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2006, 04:13 AM   #76
Tech Rookie

Hey guys sorry if this has already been asked but isnt there a slight risk involved when runnin lipos cause cause the physcaly explode blowing things appart like ppls cars or marshals hands or something along those lines

Cheers Kenny
kenny f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:19 AM   #77
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
It is not as simple as adding $$$ together.........once you run LI-PO and won, ppl will say you are running Li-PO...then someone will ban you from running it.
If the local club allow to do so...I don't see why not.....
Yes, our Electric Power Chief said no for 2006.

Let us wait patiently until 2007.

Li Po batts and Brushless have bright future.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:28 AM   #78
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LiPos are obsolete, ROAR has some catching up to do.

Berkley site:
http://ohst.berkley.edu/Publications/IB/IBInineon.pdf

Mirrors:
http://home.centurytel.net/GordonFre...IBInfineon.pdf
Old 01-12-2006, 04:31 AM   #79
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman
LiPos are obsolete, ROAR has some catching up to do.

Berkley site:
http://ohst.berkley.edu/Publications/IB/IBInineon.pdf

Mirrors:
http://home.centurytel.net/GordonFre...IBInfineon.pdf
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #80
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Eh? When's the launch of those Infineons? April 1?
Alfalfameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking Here we go again!

Gordon has all the cool stuff.
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #82
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
If you have not already seen the Platinum LiPo FAQs, check them out.

You will need a charger that is capable of charging a 2-cell LiPo battery. Team Orion's Advantage and the Duratrax is are both recommended, especially if you want to charge LiPos as well as NiMH/MiCd packs. Kokam LiPo chargers are also very good and reasonably priced.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #83
Regional Moderator

I had another quick question...

I've had some conflicting info about the wiring. Orion's picture(the one with the buggy chassis) shows that hooking up the Lipo battery is pretty much the same as your standard battery pack. But someone told me that there are more wires involved.

So is Orion's pic a true representation? Just run Corally style plugs and hook them right into the battery?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #84
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid

I've had some conflicting info about the wiring. Orion's picture(the one with the buggy chassis) shows that hooking up the Lipo battery is pretty much the same as your standard battery pack. But someone told me that there are more wires involved.

So is Orion's pic a true representation? Just run Corally style plugs and hook them right into the battery?
What happen if somebody mistakenly plug red to black and black to red to Platinum Li Po battery ?? The banana plug system is not fool proof...... I think Team Orion must study this before selling it for public safety reason.

Scorpion battery (FMA direct) is fool proof because they installed Dean's battery plug.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #85
Tech Addict

Other than price (I am on the Broke racing team right now ) How would that battery sit in my TB Evo 4? Would I just tape it in and hope that it dose not slide out on a turn since it does not sit in the battery slots...It will be nice not to file battery slots anymore
jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #86
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:

Rick Hohwart ... this is also my question.. do the packs use the smaller euro/corally connectors? or the larger ones? the reason i ask is, the smaller ones allow you to install your esc wire at a 90* angle.. while the larger one connects from the top, its not as sturdy when you are pulling it out from your battery. thanks!

- chris
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yes. You can wire Corally style plugs to your ESC wires and plug them straight in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
What happen if somebody mistakenly plug red to black and black to red to Platinum Li Po battery ?? The banana plug system is not fool proof...... I think Team Orion must study this before selling it for public safety reason.

Scorpion battery (FMA direct) is fool proof because they installed Dean's battery plug.
If is not fool proof, but the same thing can happen when soldering your batteries in directly. The design was intended to appeal to hobbyists as well as hardcore racers. The beginner can use his pack as is, plug the Tamiya adapter into the battery once and plug in and out. Others can change the plug to a higher quality type like Deans and still plug in and out.

The hardcore racer who does not use plugs can still install his battery as he would normally minus the soldering aspect. Peak factory driver David Spashett uses this type of plug on all his batteries. Can it be plugged in backwards? Yes. Those that are uncomfortable with this possibility should use the supplied wiring harness so there is no confusion.

The safety issue is no different than if you plugged a NiMH in backwards. Your electronics will fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
Rick Hohwart ... this is also my question.. do the packs use the smaller euro/corally connectors? or the larger ones? the reason i ask is, the smaller ones allow you to install your esc wire at a 90* angle.. while the larger one connects from the top, its not as sturdy when you are pulling it out from your battery. thanks!
The battery uses the larger of the two types.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #88
Regional Moderator

Rick: thanks for the quick reply.

These Lipo cells have really caught my attention. I'm thinking of swapping my current LRP charger for the Team Orion Carbon unit, so that I can have a charger that does the Lipo cells. I'm a fan of the Duratrax ICE charger, but the no back lit thing is a bummer(not interested in moding it to make it backlit) and the motor run in seems really iffy with all the complaints about it shutting down.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Quote:

These Lipo cells have really caught my attention....
No problem. I will continue to watch this thread in case there are further questions. And we are happy to take phone calls regardiing the Platinum if anyone feels they need more in depth information.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

These Lipo cells have really caught my attention. I'm thinking of swapping my current LRP charger for the Team Orion Carbon unit, so that I can have a charger that does the Lipo cells. I'm a fan of the Duratrax ICE charger, but the no back lit thing is a bummer(not interested in moding it to make it backlit) and the motor run in seems really iffy with all the complaints about it shutting down.
Get the SJ Propo "Supernova Competition". it's got the same sorta firmware in it as the duratrax ICE, but has 20A discharge, backlit screen, and better controls on it. I had the choice between the two chargers and went for the supernova. Nicer.

link with pics:
Supernova Competition
James is offline   Reply With Quote