R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #856
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Last edited by or8ital; 08-01-2006 at 09:30 AM.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #857
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You can find a few more pictures here. There's a dedicated thread to the pack in this same forum that's got a little bit more discussion on the pack.

I do see that having the holes where they are could be a problem in sedans where the battery sits under the top deck.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #858
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

It looks interesting enough, definately better for my tc4 and bj4, but I think the 4800 would still fit better in a b4, etc. But does it fit in the t2? There are no humps on the top. Because if I have to dremel, then I am going to use the 4800.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:42 AM   #859
Tech Regular

i thought these packs were the cheaper blinged up packs that FMA/Kokam sell just with the added expensive Orion sticker and alloy case
PerformanceRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:49 AM   #860
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerformanceRC
i thought these packs were the cheaper blinged up packs that FMA/Kokam sell just with the added expensive Orion sticker and alloy case
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLPD4&P=7
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 AM   #861
Tech Regular

this one is the car lipo
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKLK8&P=7

they are all made by Kokam, what is the difference?
PerformanceRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:46 AM   #862
Tech Master

That's 6400 though, the new Orion pack is 3200; the cells from the link I posted.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #863
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Orion had these cells made for them by Kokam. The Orion cells are tougher, produce more power and are more foolproof than Kokam stock cells.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #864
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Orion had these cells made for them by Kokam. The Orion cells are tougher, produce more power and are more foolproof than Kokam stock cells.
Yes.

Just like with NiMH cells, there are many different levels of LiPo quality and performance. Five different LiPo brands/models of the same configuration and capacity will all have different levels of performance and durability (and price).
Old 08-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #865
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Dewalt,Bosch,Hilti,etc have/are all going over to Li-Po to power there cordless range of Hammer drills,etc & these hammer drills pull lot`s of amps without to much grief

also if the power tool industry are going over to Li-po /Li-Mn then could this spell the end for c-cells makers
c-cell market is for the power industry with RC racing as a spin off ,they are moving on to Li-Po

food for thought
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #866
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Lipos replacing sub-cs, what a far out idea...

How many of you thought NiMH would replace NiCd? I can walk into any one of my 5 LHSs and buy NiCd sub-cs. I see so many people panicking because they're afraid Lipos are going to replace their precious NiMHs. It's not going to happen anytime soon because Lipos are so much more dangerous. Just like NiMH hasn't replaced NiCd because of the cost. There's always a reason

I went to one of my LHSs the other day and asked about the team orion lipos. The guy explained to me that cheaper packs, especially ones used in cellphones and the ones sold by cheapbatterypacks.com, have a soft membrane in between each cell (the cells inside the cell) which heats up and distorts when too many amps are drawn and then the 2 cells bridge and you have a fire. The team orion packs have something much more durable (I forget what he said it was made of) that isn't affected by the heat and can't distort. That's what seperates the team orion cell from the competition. I'm still pissed at orion for not making a saddle pack, though.
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #867
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerformanceRC
this one is the car lipo
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKLK8&P=7

they are all made by Kokam, what is the difference?
The difference is that FMA is no longer a distributor for Kokam. Same cells as Orion.

Other than that, FMA incorporated a low voltage cutoff, separate charge leads that bypass the low voltage cutoff, and another lead to power the BEC when the voltage does cutoff. Too many wires in my opinion. Plus they don't have the protective case the Orions have. I prefer the Orion configuration.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #868
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The new pack looks good. I don't know if I'll sell my old one since I've already modded my TA05, but the new pack should help move LiPo into a more mainstream position.

Because of the new size/design and because of that very appealing price.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:52 AM   #869
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

just finished reading the whole thread, but im still stumped sorry if these questions were already asked but ...

1. is the platinum compatible with any lipo charger that can do 2-cell batts at 4.8amp charge rate?

2. is it okay to use a low-end lipo charger without LCD, or do i need to monitor the provided information, just in case it false peaks or overcharges? our track doesnt allow lipos in races, but i plan to use one for practice. i plan to use and charge it several times a day, so it doesnt matter to me if it is fully charged/peaked. i dont need to know the voltages/mah/etc., just as long as it charges the pack safely and correctly.

3. is balancing absolutely necessary? ive read somewhere that you have to do this at least once every 30 runs. is this 30 complete cycles (fully charge, use until it almost dumps, then charge again)? or 30 charges (full or half charge, full or half use)? what happens to the pack if i dont balance it?

4. is it true that the platinum starts and stays just at the 7.4v level, fully charged or resting for a few days? if this is the case, then wouldnt standard 6-cell packs be "faster" or "punchier" since they peak at 9+ volts and stay at about 8+ volts before a race start?

5. when charging, is it okay to use a fan on both the lipo and the charger?

thanks in advance for any info
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:26 AM   #870
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

marvi,
1) you can use any charger that charges lipo's provided that you can set the voltage. 7.4 for the orion. However Orion has a list of recommended chargers.
2) No, you don't need the displays.
3) Balancing is not necessary, but will give you more cycles on the battery.
4) when fully charged it is at 8.4v, but lipo's are more efficient under a load, so your equipment actually sees more voltage than nimh's.
5) You will not need a fan on the lipo, they actually get cooler when charging.

Hope this helps.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote