R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #796
Tech Elite
 
bvoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bedtime with Teddi
Posts: 3,635
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysuleod
Info from tower's site.
Platinum lipo:Weight: 10oz (285g)
3600 - 6 cell stick pack: Weight: 14.5oz (410g)
Thanks....

boy do I feel like a dumb ass... I could have looked it up, I just did not think of that...
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #797
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
It is different. If you look at it from the end, its profile is the same as that of a stick pack - rounded edges. But it incorporates ridges that will lock it into a slotted chassis while still allowing its use in off-road "channel" battery locations. It is very unique with a carbon look case.

It weighs less than a 4-cell NiMh pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
4-6 weeks assuming there are no problems during the test. BTW the street price will likely be under $100. And the capacity is such that it will be legal in any races where a 4300mAh capacity is stated as the maximum allowable.
Sounds good on all accounts. I really only need one LiPo, when this new one comes out, I may sell my current one and get the new one. Or maybe I'll keep both.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #798
Tech Regular
 
treky11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 350
Default

Rick, I think my question got lost in the forum shuffle. So I'll post it again

How much would you expect to diminish the life of the pack by charging at 7.5 or 10 amps. How many times do you think you could charge the pack at those rates before it started to take a hit in performance - 50 charges? 100 charges?

I realize this would just be a guess on your part but I am curious. People say at 4.8 amps it can be charged 500+ times. Frankly, that would last me a few years, at which time the battery would be dated. If I can get somewhere around 150 charges I will be more than happy.

Thanks in advance for your input.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #799
Tech Champion
 
danjoy25's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,149
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

No point in charging higher amps as the output will still be the same. Just repeak after your race and should be ready under 20 minutes. The trick is to not let it peak, as you will be waiting long. If the your charging 4.8 amps and the charger is showing around .50 amps then its good as peak for me.
__________________
Awesomatix A800 & A800X/ Mugen MTX-5 / 3 Racing F113 / Kyosho RB5 / Kyosho Mini-Z
danjoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #800
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11
Rick, I think my question got lost in the forum shuffle. So I'll post it again

How much would you expect to diminish the life of the pack by charging at 7.5 or 10 amps. How many times do you think you could charge the pack at those rates before it started to take a hit in performance - 50 charges? 100 charges?

I realize this would just be a guess on your part but I am curious. People say at 4.8 amps it can be charged 500+ times. Frankly, that would last me a few years, at which time the battery would be dated. If I can get somewhere around 150 charges I will be more than happy.

Thanks in advance for your input.
My guess is that you could cut the life expectancy of the battery in half.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #801
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Like I said befoe, if a track has ANY kind of decent turn out....I mean ANY kind (like as few as 15-20 people), then there is plenty of time between races to get the pack charged between heats.

Yeah, it may still be charging when you pull it off to go race, but like danjoy25 said, if your charger is showing something like .50 or .30amps, then your already good to go for the race.

So taking the risk of cutting the life of a pack in half just for a the 30-40mah extra you may get by having the pack actually peak, just doesn't seem worth it.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #802
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Default

You probably dont even need to wait that long I was pulling mine off charge just after it got to the constant voltage stage which i think was around 3800mah.
Cotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #803
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

With the reduced capacity of the new packs, having time to charge them might be a little more important.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #804
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
With the reduced capacity of the new packs, having time to charge them might be a little more important.
True. But reduced capacity also means less time to completely charge.
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #805
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Yea, very true. We don't have huge turnouts at our club, so I may wind up getting two so I can just switch between charging one and running the other, and not stress about time between races. If they're under $100 as you said, having two seems reasonable, especially when compared to buying 4 new "good" NiMh packs. :-)

I wonder how long the packs will take to completely charge after a race with, say, the new Novak SS13.5 (stock).
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #806
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Yea, very true. We don't have huge turnouts at our club, so I may wind up getting two so I can just switch between charging one and running the other, and not stress about time between races. If they're under $100 as you said, having two seems reasonable, especially when compared to buying 4 new "good" NiMh packs. :-)

I wonder how long the packs will take to completely charge after a race with, say, the new Novak SS13.5 (stock).
Dude, trust me as someone who already has it, all you'll need is one. Most people buy more than one because that is what they're used to doing with regular packs.

Even on the slowest nights out at Fastlane during the winter, I NEVER ONCE came up short with mine. Even without it fully peaking sometimes.

Heck, I even forgot to charge mine once when I got to working on my car and talking to CIVIC, and went out and ran the next race at full power for the whole race.

Think about this, the packs capacity is 4800mah and in heavy 19t racing, I only use about 1688-1750mah each race.

So with that in mind, even with the lower capacity of the new pack, keep this little tidbit in mind for the new pack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The capacity is less than the Platinum, but the IR is even lower for more power. Run time should be equivalent to what a 5000 mAh NiMH pack would deliver.
So like was already said, even if it doesn't completely finish while its creaping along at a whopping .25amp , you'll still be in good shape power and capacity wise.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #807
Tech Regular
 
treky11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 350
Default

Guys, thanks for the input but I am not doing formal racing. A small group of us get together to run on a track. We show up with packs charged, we all run till dead, we all recharge at the same time, run again, recharge again and go home.

So if we can cut 10-15 minutes of the charge time we are happy. Like I said, with Orion saying the pack can be charged 500 times (kokam has said up to 1000 times) I am not worried about how long it will last.

If Rick is correct, and I get only 200-250 charges that will last me over 2 years since we only run about 25 times a year and charge 3 times a day. That is 75 cycles a year, at most for us. So the battery will easily last 2 years under my conditions.

IMO in 2 years the batteries will be dated, as this is a rapidly advancing technology and we will be buying new batteries anyway in 2 years time anyway.

Thus, who cares about really taking care of these batteries until the technology becomes mature and the battery you have may last a few years, but then something else will come along and lipo will be dated altogether.

I understand taking care of nicds and nimh, they warranted it for performance and for lifespan. I don't think Lipos do at this point. I will let you know at the end of the season, because I will be charging at a higher rate for here on out.

Worst case, I am wrong and I buy a new battery.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #808
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11
Guys, thanks for the input but I am not doing formal racing. A small group of us get together to run on a track. We show up with packs charged, we all run till dead, we all recharge at the same time, run again, recharge again and go home.

So if we can cut 10-15 minutes of the charge time we are happy. Like I said, with Orion saying the pack can be charged 500 times (kokam has said up to 1000 times) I am not worried about how long it will last.

If Rick is correct, and I get only 200-250 charges that will last me over 2 years since we only run about 25 times a year and charge 3 times a day. That is 75 cycles a year, at most for us. So the battery will easily last 2 years under my conditions.

IMO in 2 years the batteries will be dated, as this is a rapidly advancing technology and we will be buying new batteries anyway in 2 years time anyway.

Thus, who cares about really taking care of these batteries until the technology becomes mature and the battery you have may last a few years, but then something else will come along and lipo will be dated altogether.

I understand taking care of nicds and nimh, they warranted it for performance and for lifespan. I don't think Lipos do at this point. I will let you know at the end of the season, because I will be charging at a higher rate for here on out.

Worst case, I am wrong and I buy a new battery.
Sounds good, be sure to let us all know how it works out.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #809
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Think about this, the packs capacity is 4800mah and in heavy 19t racing, I only use about 1688-1750mah each race.
If that's all you're using, even in 19T, then the reduced capacity of the new pack shouldn't matter too much. I'm curious to see how much I use doing a race with the SS13.5 and the 4300 BL.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #810
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Rick,

Thanks for the infos, keep 'em commin'. This is one of the most informative threads for me right now on rctech.

Do you know why Orion decided to lower the capacity? I mean even if the LiPo's are not allowed on certain club races they still make the best practice packs ever. You arrive fully charged, practice and look for the best suspension setup while charging the NiMH race packs... You get used to the punch then NiMh will feel slow which will make Average Joe like me more consistant. With lets say 6000mAh I could make 4 maybe 5 runs before charging. It is still OK for at least 2-3 runs .

The big question: will it fit in to my Xray T2 without modification (or your 415)???? If the answer is yes which I hope THAN I'M ALL IN and YAHOOOOOO... otherwise I have to take some actions on the car with my dremel then I'm all in (my brand new ICE charger is starving for some LiPo tasks)
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ORION PLATINUM 4800 LIPO sedanracer8 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 21 12-18-2007 08:09 PM
>>> Orion Platinum 4800 Lipo <<< rraden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 10-22-2007 09:55 AM
Is the Mamba Max 7700 to much for the Platinum 4800 Lipo _pilot_ Electric On-Road 2 10-10-2007 01:52 PM
Team Orion Platinum Lipo Pack danjoy25 Australia For Sale/Trade 0 05-10-2006 04:26 PM
FS Orion Platinum Lipo!!! Glowster21 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 20 04-05-2006 06:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:54 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net