R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #736
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXPro4
Raced my new Lipo at my local track last weekend for the first time. No othere electrics wanted to run Mod so i asked to run in Nitro Mod instead. Im running a GTB and velociti 5.5. Its also not that large of a track. Any how came second in to of the 5 min qual's then won the 10 min main by more than a lap. After the race i recharged my battery at it took 4300 MaH. Needless to say im not going back to my NiMh packs except for big races.
Yep, once you get over the price tag, use it... You will not look back... When people start to see how much longer this pack will last, before you have to buy a new pack, you will see this is very cost effect. You get a lot more runs out this pack (comparable performance) to a pack of NiMh... I'm like you... Only NiMh for big races... otherwise, LiPo all the way....
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #737
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXPro4
Raced my new Lipo at my local track last weekend for the first time. No othere electrics wanted to run Mod so i asked to run in Nitro Mod instead. Im running a GTB and velociti 5.5. Its also not that large of a track. Any how came second in to of the 5 min qual's then won the 10 min main by more than a lap. After the race i recharged my battery at it took 4300 MaH. Needless to say im not going back to my NiMh packs except for big races.
What kind of reaction did you get from the Nitro crowd???
Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #738
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

most of the guys that i raced used to race electric. So about half of them were like damn i need to get the electric back out. None of them though i would finish the 10 min main. There was one guy that was faster than me but he broke about 5 mins in. It was some great racing. I won it on the infield, racing with the nitro guys really shows how much low end power the electrics have. I could cut under them comming out of the run and pull several car lengths before the next turn. No one was mad that they lost to an electric. But the past 2 weeks another guy has won the Nitro Stock A main so there were a lot of people scratching their heads.
ATXPro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #739
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
So now how about a discharge curve
Joel,

If you ever hear of someone having one of these in Ottawa - I am sure I can generate a discharge curve if you can figure out a way to discharge them. I have a datalogger than will measure 0-10V and aquisition very very fast (can't remember how many times per second).

I still owe you a chuck....see ya at the next DNO

Vince
CaliberX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #740
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

First I want to say, sorry for using this topic, but do not know how else to contact Rick Hohwart.

Rick Hohwart - I would to talk with you off-line about a project I'm working on. I'm hopping to see if Orion would be willing to help out... Yep, another R/C person with there hand out But really it is not for me, but for the sport.

Please feel free to drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks....
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:37 AM   #741
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
The Orion Lipo pack does not need balancing like normal cells (I have never balanced mine) so I would worry about it too much.
@NiMo
This sounds great! Do others have the same experience?
From a friend running LiPo's in a heli I heard balancing is something to think about.

@bvolz
Good point. I should have used the search function of the forum...
naCER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #742
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

[QUOTE=naCER]@NiMo
This sounds great! Do others have the same experience?
From a friend running LiPo's in a heli I heard balancing is something to think about.

QUOTE]
i have the peak li-po aswell used about 20 times in 27t/19t indoor & out
no probs charging or powering things
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #743
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

165g of lead attached to my pack to bring car upto 1500g limit(+20g on motor side )

sit`s in the cyclone real nice ,but tight under motor mount bridge

car is a bit battery side heavy araound 60-40 split left to right
but when i put in the IB 42`s staright swap over then it weigh`s 1510g & it is 50-50 balence
with no additional weight`s put on or off
cyclone much better getting the balence right then LCG i had

it show`s 1386 + 100g for shell & i would put 20g on motor side on the car if i was racing it seriously to get balence (Total race weight 1506g)
But i`m not fussed really
Attached Thumbnails
Platinum Lipo-betty-001.jpg   Platinum Lipo-betty-002.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #744
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks awesome, do you feel any problem with the handling? I learned that you would want your wieght as close as possible to the centerline of the car. I just wondering if those weights on the outside of the pack cause any ill handling.

Is there any news about the new Orion pack coming? The Orion Charger for $80 looks like a great deal but what if the next generation will have 6000mAh capacity... then the 5A would not be enough for the 1C charging... The description of the ICE says that it can charge with 1C max... what does this mean? If the pack is an 8000mAh then it is able to charge with 8A???
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #745
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One more question: what size of corally type plugs fit in the holes? I've found three sizes: 2mm, 3.5mm, 4mm. The corally plugs are 4mm.
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 AM   #746
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
Looks awesome, do you feel any problem with the handling? I learned that you would want your wieght as close as possible to the centerline of the car. I just wondering if those weights on the outside of the pack cause any ill handling.

Is there any news about the new Orion pack coming? The Orion Charger for $80 looks like a great deal but what if the next generation will have 6000mAh capacity... then the 5A would not be enough for the 1C charging... The description of the ICE says that it can charge with 1C max... what does this mean? If the pack is an 8000mAh then it is able to charge with 8A???
your idea on the 1c etc is correct
li-po`s go by capacity to tell the charger what amp`s,instaed of charger telling battery (like c-cell)

4mm corrally`s it take`s

i charge mine @4.8a like you should do takes a good hour to get fully charged (but this won`t be a problem when racing coz you only be topping up most of the time)

also li-po does not use `peak` to cutoff , it `look`s` @ the voltage on the pack to determin what amps to go in

IE` starts off @4.8 then voltage creeps up to around 8.2-8.4 & it drops down to 1.5a then cuts off

i flattened my pack the other week in 19t (crawled on the track) so back on charge 4.8a it took 1 hour 15 mins to fully charge again cap showed 5660 MAH`s (only a guide from charger)

charger
ICE & prodigy II (which is really good does all cell type`s aswell only 5a max though)

i had the lead on the side in my EVO4 indoors used to TQ & win with out any probs , tight carpet aswell

IN the LCG outdoor same setup ,used to do what it`s supposed to(handle well)

i have yet to use the cyclone in `anger` yet ,but i don`t expect a problem with it

no where else to put all the lead anyway`s ,if i was using it seriously in racing then i would redo the laed on outside ,But the whole car is set that all i have to do is swap over battery trype`s & the car is set for racing (well balenced,min weight meet & rocking)
Old 06-29-2006, 01:07 AM   #747
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
i have feeling peak/orion are working on a more user friendly pack
IE saddle type or same sort of case but with indentations in the bottom to use the existing side x side slots in all the cars out there
coz the case at the mo is hard to secure properly with tape or strap
Old 06-29-2006, 01:33 AM   #748
Tech Regular

Guys,

team orion recommends charging the pack at maximum of 4 amp. They also claim that the life of the pack is long if we dont use up more than 80% of the capacity.

With the price that I paid for the 2 Platinum Lipo, I am more inclined in following the recommendations.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:55 AM   #749
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone think they say only 4 amps because some chargers go in 1 amp increments? Not all chargers go in tenths. Better to charge a pack at too slow of a rate than too fast. I'd imagine optimal charging rate is 4.8, they just don't say that because people with chargers that travel in 1amp increments will assume since 4.8 is closer to 5, they should pick 5.
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #750
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC25000
Anyone think they say only 4 amps because some chargers go in 1 amp increments? Not all chargers go in tenths. Better to charge a pack at too slow of a rate than too fast. I'd imagine optimal charging rate is 4.8, they just don't say that because people with chargers that travel in 1amp increments will assume since 4.8 is closer to 5, they should pick 5.
Hi,

as far as I know charging current will not influence battery performance. So charging at 4A, 4.8A or 5A makes no difference... other than charging time . However, I don't think charging at 5A instead of 4.8A will really make a noticable difference in life time.
naCER is offline   Reply With Quote