R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Sorry if this has been asked already...

So what does it take to charge these LIPO cells? I see some chargers that say they charge LIPO cells, but usually they are talking about smaller packs. Do they also work for the full sized packs?

Whats a list of chargers availible now that will charge these Platinum LIPO cells?

Thanks
If you have not already seen the Platinum LiPo FAQs, check them out.

You will need a charger that is capable of charging a 2-cell LiPo battery. Team Orion's Advantage and the Duratrax is are both recommended, especially if you want to charge LiPos as well as NiMH/MiCd packs. Kokam LiPo chargers are also very good and reasonably priced.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #62
Tech Fanatic

Hi Rick, any idea when/if the rules commitees will allow the 7.4v (as opposed to the 7.2v 6-cell config) batteries for racing? I plan to get a Platinum/Advantage combo ASAP for club racing but at sanctioned events it might be a while before they're allowed. Do you have the inside track on anything?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKinney
Hi Rick, any idea when/if the rules commitees will allow the 7.4v (as opposed to the 7.2v 6-cell config) batteries for racing? I plan to get a Platinum/Advantage combo ASAP for club racing but at sanctioned events it might be a while before they're allowed. Do you have the inside track on anything?
Based purely on current rules 2007 would be the earliest ROAR approval.

I am not sure about how the sanctioning bodies will treat these. My opinion is that if you allow brushless to run with brushed, you can allow LiPos to run with other battery types. The .2 voltage must make some difference, but the power advantage comes more from LiPo's improved efficiency. A LiPo with the same capacity and voltage as an NiMh will still be superior.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #64
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeasler
JRX would be ok I guess, the rest I would guess you could just add weight to the battery side to equalize the chassis without redesigning it.

Rod
but that would so defeat the weight advantage of the LiPos.

thankfully at where i race there's no weight limit
looks like my antique pro3 would have an advantage then!
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #65
Tech Apprentice

I have run the Lipo's and I there is one drawback... It makes all my 3700's and 3800's seem like junk.

They are WAY faster my 13T felt like a 10T and the punch is insane.

I charged at 4A on a Kokam charger and they did not take as long as I thought t charge but they seem to run for ever I didn't time myself but I pulled off because I started to get bored. The motor was cooking but the battery was only luke warm. I had to add a lot of wieght to battery side
which makes wish I had a touring car where the battery was centered.

The best thing is I ran the same battery all day and the 6th run was just as good as the 1st I didn;t feel any difference in performance.

I know with the GP's they seem better on there second run and the IB seem to go south fast every cycle.

My opinion from someone who has run them, there are dialed, put me down for two more.
corvin12xu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #66
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvin12xu
I have run the Lipo's and I there is one drawback... It makes all my 3700's and 3800's seem like junk.

They are WAY faster my 13T felt like a 10T and the punch is insane.

I charged at 4A on a Kokam charger and they did not take as long as I thought t charge but they seem to run for ever I didn't time myself but I pulled off because I started to get bored. The motor was cooking but the battery was only luke warm. I had to add a lot of wieght to battery side
which makes wish I had a touring car where the battery was centered.

The best thing is I ran the same battery all day and the 6th run was just as good as the 1st I didn;t feel any difference in performance.

I know with the GP's they seem better on there second run and the IB seem to go south fast every cycle.

My opinion from someone who has run them, there are dialed, put me down for two more.
Impressive !!!

What the difference between Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer ? Which one is more superior ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #67
Tech Adept

Incredible and how long could you run your car ?
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #68
Tech Adept

I totally agree about the benefits of LiPo's especially in a TC. I started using a brushless motor and LiPo in a BMI TC4 about 1 1/2 years ago. At that time, it was hard (and very expensive) to get a high MAH LiPo that could handle the amp draw of a large brushelss motor. I bought what I could afford at the time which was a 2200MAH 7.4v LiPo. The guys at the local track said no problem using it. Punch is great (voltage can peak as high as 9.8v), top speed is amazing (LiPo's have very low IR and great drain capabilities) and I never came close to draining the 2200MAH during a five minute qualifier or main.
Great stuff. Wish I could put one in my 1/12th car!
Matt
mpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Impressive !!!

What the difference between Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer ? Which one is more superior ?
Li-Ion are older technology. They are cylindrical in shape and are very volitile.

LiPo are square (can be molded any shape) and are much more stable. This is what R/C hobbyists use.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #70
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Li-Ion are older technology. They are cylindrical in shape and are very volitile.

LiPo are square (can be molded any shape) and are much more stable. This is what R/C hobbyists use.
Adrian you are pretty much right, but I'll help out by adding a few details...

Lithium-Ion is what we now refer to as the cylindrical cells.

LiPo or LiPoly is the nickname given to the lithium-oin polymer cells. Like AM said, the polymer cells are made from a putty like electrolyte that allows for the flat configuration. The lithium-ion cyclindrical cells truly are a little more dangerous because the electrolyte is in a liquid form. (Trust me, I ruined a brand new $150 Fire Dept coat by poking a hole in one with a dremel...lol)

Both of them use the same basic charge profiles, although I want to note that you shouldn't mistake the disposable lithium cells which are 3 volts for rechargable lithium-ion which are 3.7 volts.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:22 AM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking Li-po

I run with guys that run Li-pos combined with brushless systems in their 4wd buggys. They are screaming fast. No maintenace and in a 20 minute main will beat a gas car. Not because they are faster, which they can be when in the right hands, but because they don't pit for fuel.

I am convenced this is the technology of the future. Orion has done it right in their package and marketing.
Nice Job!

I'm going to pick up a couple and let you guys know.

Voltage wise they are no different than my 3800s. Resistance should be better. Capacity is under rated. ease of use is out of this world.

All in all they are cheaper than any racing setup.
Batts x4 = $60 ea = $240
charger (maybe 2) @ $120 ea = $120 (must be delta peak to compare)
discharger = $35+ (bulbs and cutoff module so you don't reverse the cells)
equalizer tray = $35.
-------------------------
= $430

2 Platmun Lipo packs = $135 ea. = $270
1 charger = $150
= $420

Those of you in the know, realize I'm being very conservative in my standard battery numbers. If you are going for more hardcore race equip it can and will cost much more! For all of the hard work with regular batteries, you still will fall short of the guy that is running Li-pos. He will eat pizza while watching you work as well.

Interesting.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #72
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Lotus111

Yea the only thing that will change with time is the fact that the Li-Po's will be soon go under an selection process as well.
Latest then ther will be again Team-, Stock-, and whatever packs
http://www.bawue-cup.de
Lotus111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus111
Yea the only thing that will change with time is the fact that the Li-Po's will be soon go under an selection process as well.
Latest then ther will be again Team-, Stock-, and whatever packs
That is a distinct possibility. The good thing is the difference between cells is far less than you see with NiMH or NiCd.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #74
Tech Champion

Tex1 has nice topic there...... let me calculate mine according to my needs :

NIMH
IB4200 $60.00 x 3 cells = $180 ---> ( not sure, I heard is even lower )
GFX charger $380 x 2 = $760
Novak Smart Tray $90
Total Cost = $1,030.

LIPO
Platinum Lipo $135 x 3 cells = $405
Advantage Charger $180 x 2 = $360
Total Cost = $765

Hmmm..... not bad, right ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Tex1 has nice topic there...... let me calculate mine according to my needs :

NIMH
IB4200 $60.00 x 3 cells = $180 ---> ( not sure, I heard is even lower )
GFX charger $380 x 2 = $760
Novak Smart Tray $90
Total Cost = $1,030.

LIPO
Platinum Lipo $135 x 3 cells = $405
Advantage Charger $180 x 2 = $360
Total Cost = $765

Hmmm..... not bad, right ?
It is not as simple as adding $$$ together.........once you run LI-PO and won, ppl will say you are running Li-PO...then someone will ban you from running it.
If the local club allow to do so...I don't see why not.....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote