R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #676
Tech Regular

Are the MaxAmps LiPo batteries safe? Like Their 12000 Mah pack for $160.
MK_Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #677
Tech Elite

Interesting Kokam LiPo Info
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #678
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
Are the MaxAmps LiPo batteries safe? Like Their 12000 Mah pack for $160.
I know a couple of people that are using these LiPo's in off road with no issues. I would suggest you take some lexan and shrink wrap them, for added protection from a hit, they seem to be exposed on the sides a bit more then my I like to see. The top and bottom look to be pretty safe, but the sides, are not. This is why I say use the Orion product, it is desgined for our application.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #679
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Very interesting... Good information... How let's see if this hobby will remove their head from the sand and make LiPos legal... I know a lot people are fighting this, but they need start seeing the big picture. I personally believe that LiPo is one the keys to gettting the door open for newbies with out giving them a headache. Note I said one of the keys, not the key....
Old 06-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #680
Tech Elite

Rick - any word on the new product from Orion? I know it is early in the month, but I figured I would ask....
Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #681
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
Very interesting... Good information... How let's see if this hobby will remove their head from the sand and make LiPos legal... I know a lot people are fighting this, but they need start seeing the big picture. I personally believe that LiPo is one the keys to gettting the door open for newbies with out giving them a headache. Note I said one of the keys, not the key....
I assure you that the sanctioning bodies are looking at LiPo batteries. They know that they are the future, and at some point they will have to be allowed.

However there will still be battery rules just as there are now. LiPo may be legal but with dimensional limits. We chose the Platinum size based on current NiMH sizes. I suspect larger batteries will not be legal.

Everyone must remember that sanctioned commpetition is only a small portion of the R/C racing world. Check out your local racing scene and see what is allowed beyond the rules. Non-approved 19-turn motors, hybrid modified motors, non-approved bodies and non-approved NiMH batteries are generally allowed in competition. Tracks have the option of allowing LiPos (like many have) just as they have the option of allowing other "illegal" components. If you want to use LiPos, let it be known. The more people who inquire, the chance of allowing them increases.

The new battery has been delayed slightly. We expect the production sample next week and soon after we can begin producing and shipping them.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #682
Tech Elite

Yep, I tell and show off my Orion LiPo.... I'm so very happy with the performance and removing that battery headache from my life, or until race time… Now I can focus more on my driving skills. You really can get someone's attention a that track when you do not have to wait for batteries to charge, this is how I get most people asking me about them. The biggest questions they have are on safety and performance. In fact if you have Deans connections, I give you my LiPo to go have a run with. Most people that do this, are going to buy one that day or the next... They find it so very convenient... Since the local tracks round me are not willing to let LiPo race, I use mine for practice, and I have two legal batteries per car for racing... but no more for practice, I have moved towards the light. ;-) Now if we could brushless in Stock and 19T, that would be wonderful, but that is a whole different topic.

Good to hear about the new design... I'm wait to see it and find out about before I puchase my next LiPo, then I'm all set. Currently I only have one LiPo, so two would be great for both my cars (truck and car...)
Old 06-03-2006, 03:17 AM   #683
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The new battery has been delayed slightly. We expect the production sample next week and soon after we can begin producing and shipping them.

I know it's a long shot Rick, but any chance that we might see a Platinum with a saddle-pack type configuration in the near future for BJ4-WE, Yokomo MR4-BX, & Losi XX-4 owners?!? I know you mentioned 4WD Off-Road is not a huge market (yet at least).... but it is growing. You are probably aware that all of these kits made the A-Main at the last IFMAR Worlds and I think it is no coincidence that only saddle-pack configured kits comprised all top 10 spots! This may be the layout trend for future 4WD kits...
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:43 AM   #684
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
The Orion Advantage Pro charges them in one hour. My IB3800's take 50min to charge at 6A. I have heard it is safe to charge the Platinums at up to 10A so you can fully charge them in just under 30min. Battery life might suffer a bit though.
I tried charging one at 6 amps with Orion Advantage on Lipo mode.

It seemed OK. I left it charged to use the following day. When I had a look at it the following morning it had burst out of it's case and nothing I have done can get it back to it's normal size to put back into the case. It's still OK to power things like comm lathes etc with but it won't fit in it's case, and that's an expensive way to run a comm lathe.

Shall we say, I'm not impressed.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #685
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

John

The instructions stated do not chagre at more then 1C or 4.8 amps. Take the short cut and pay the price

I love my packs and with how much the cost I will do everything to treat them properly
Rodney
TMHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #686
Tech Master

My LiPo charger will only charge at the maximum of 4amps, I can charge down to 0.5 amps if needed, also 1-4 cells.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #687
Tech Regular

i'm new to this lipo stuff, for the platinum lipo, do I need to wait for 30 minutes for the battery to cool off before i can start recharging it again? my mindset is still dictated by conventional Nimh and Nicd
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #688
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmio
i'm new to this lipo stuff, for the platinum lipo, do I need to wait for 30 minutes for the battery to cool off before i can start recharging it again? my mindset is still dictated by conventional Nimh and Nicd
You can begin re-charging right after use. And you can begin re-charing regardless of the battery's state of discharge. It does not matter if 5%, 50% or 90% of the battery's capacity remains.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #689
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rick,
Can you explain how the Scorpion charger works with the orion pack. I know there is an adaptor that need to be purchased, but where does the 3rd wire (white) go. Also, has it been tested that the packs can safely be charged at the 10amp max rate of the scorpion charger like the scorpion packs?
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #690
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHippo
John

The instructions stated do not chagre at more then 1C or 4.8 amps. Take the short cut and pay the price

I love my packs and with how much the cost I will do everything to treat them properly
Rodney
If you read back a bit you will see that people have been charging LIPOs at 6, 8 and 10 amps with great results.

It's the usual question of charging at a higher amp rate gives more power and naturally that's what we all stive for.

What I can't understand is why the pack didn't burst out of the case when it was being charged. I repeat, I charged it on the Orion Advantage in LIPO mode. It was all right. It cut off as it should do, and it was warm - about the same temp as a Nicad or Nimh.

It was only the following morning when I got back into the shop that I found it had burst out of it's case.

I'm not asking for my money back or anything. I would simply like an explanation so that it does not happen again.

If the Haras of this world can charge their Lipos at 10 amps, why can't we. Surely they are running the same cells you and I can buy. Or are they!
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote