R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #586
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

After looking on Orion's site, this is what I found. So yes the port is there, but you currently can not use it... So if this is ture, no you can not balance the pack...

http://www.team-orion.com/toptalk/sh...0&page=0#20074
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #587
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
After looking on Orion's site, this is what I found. So yes the port is there, but you currently can not use it... So if this is ture, no you can not balance the pack...

http://www.team-orion.com/toptalk/sh...0&page=0#20074
Yes you can use it....

There are two types of balancing...Active and Passive

The balancing port on the Platinum pack lets you isolate the cells in parallel so you can actively balance them. All you need to do this is a charger. This means there is no need for an expensive balancer.

In Active Balancing you either charge cell individually or both at once in parallel so each individual cell is fully charged to 4.2V. LiPo cells are different than NiMh and NiCd. We don't equalize (equally discharge) LiPo we Balance (equally fully charge).

In Passive balancing a Cell Balancer is connected to the pack so voltage from the high cell is shunted to the low cell for they (over time) become balanced. Some LiPo packs are setup to use balancers at a low charge rate to actively balance the cells by shunting voltage from the high cells to the low cells.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #588
Tech Adept

Adrian,

Do you have some advice on charging settings with the Advantage Carbon charger.

Thank you
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #589
Tech Champion

I have two now. One for sedans and one for 1/12th (4 cell). Honestly I have just setup the linear charge modes and a LiPo charge for my Platinum pack. I haven't done anything else yet.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #590
Tech Elite

Adrian - Please forgive the dumb questions, but I new to this.

I understand your points, and how it works or should work... But I do not understand how I plug into the port to balance the pack. What connector is needed, do I connect the negitive wire to the normal negitive side, then the postive to this port, and charge at low rate.

I'm missing how to achieve using the balance port to balance the pack.

Sorry.....

and before you say, I'm the reason that LiPo packs are not safe... I'm asking the questions to educate myself and others that may be affaid of asking the questions.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #591
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
Adrian - Please forgive the dumb questions, but I new to this.

I understand your points, and how it works or should work... But I do not understand how I plug into the port to balance the pack. What connector is needed, do I connect the negitive wire to the normal negitive side, then the postive to this port, and charge at low rate.

I'm missing how to achieve using the balance port to balance the pack.

Sorry.....

and before you say, I'm the reason that LiPo packs are not safe... I'm asking the questions to educate myself and others that may be affaid of asking the questions.
Use a 2mm plug to plug into the balancing port.
http://teamorion-avionics.com/Access...onnectorsPlugs

Then you will connect the negative charge lead to the negative battery lead/socket and the positive charger lead to the balancing port, and charge.

Once charged, you then will hook the positive charger lead to the positive battery lead/socket and the negative charger lead to the balancing port, and charge.

Once that is done, you are balanced.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #592
Tech Elite

Ok so it doesnt seem like i can get much responce about intigrating the new cells to be able to run with nihm. I'll accept that they simply would become a different class(yes yet another!) Locally at the club level racing thats the only thing i would suggest if guys wanted to run them.

So lets step forward one year and no body is running nihm becasue lipo is now cheaper and the cases make them explosion proof. How long before we get battles of the lipo matchers? And how much will these packs drop in price? How long before they are under 100$US. And how much will matched packs cost? Right now i pay 50$CND for matched IB3800s. Thats 3 nihms for 1 lipo using my excisting charger.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #593
Tech Champion

Well, you can put a lipo pack in your car and leave it. All you need to do it top it off after a run so you dont need half a dozen packs.

The time may not be for right for Lipo in racing today but it will come.

Rick - ever think about putting 4 hard points at the corners of the Platinum pack so we could mount the battery with M3 Csk screws coming from the bottom of the chassis?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #594
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart

Then you will connect the negative charge lead to the negative battery lead/socket and the positive charger lead to the balancing port, and charge.

Once charged, you then will hook the positive charger lead to the positive battery lead/socket and the negative charger lead to the balancing port, and charge.

Many thanks for clearing this up for me. I must say with lack of elec knowledge, making the connections to balance, sounds a little off, connect the port with postive then negtive... So I'm not sure a how this works..

How offten are you suggesting that a pack should be balanced?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #595
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Well, you can put a lipo pack in your car and leave it. All you need to do it top it off after a run so you dont need half a dozen packs.

The time may not be for right for Lipo in racing today but it will come.

Rick - ever think about putting 4 hard points at the corners of the Platinum pack so we could mount the battery with M3 Csk screws coming from the bottom of the chassis?
The idea of using one pack, leaving it in your car and topping off between races is a dream come true. That is exactly how I practice with my Lipo pack installed with my checkpoint motor or a novak brushless. I have no worries except keeping the car in one piece and on my driving line. When I am done for the day, I am truely done for the day. No discharging, no motor work. I cango in the house, open a cold one and turn on the game.

I can see the day when we look back on all the time and money we wasted on keeping our batteries and motors in condition and just laugh. You want this hobby to become more popular - Lipo's and brushless motors will be a step in the right direction. The sooner we get there, the better off we will all be. IMHO.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #596
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to khyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsquare
I can see the day when we look back on all the time and money we wasted on keeping our batteries and motors in condition and just laugh. You want this hobby to become more popular - Lipo's and brushless motors will be a step in the right direction. The sooner we get there, the better off we will all be. IMHO.
For me, that day is now. I'm getting back into R/C after a long hiatus and that's exactly how I feel. I've found a local club that will let me race with lipo and brushless and all due respect to other tracks but I will only be practicing there. I have no intention of spending hundreds extra just because other folks haven't adopted clearly superior technologies yet. I'm sure within a couple years you'll be able to race everywhere with this stuff and until then I'll just be patient and happy and spend all that brush, comm, lathe, and "my batteries are no longer the same after 20 runs and need replacement" money on much more enjoyable things. I would also imagine that, over time, digital spread spectrum radio will pretty much dominate (surface) R/C too.
khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:08 AM   #597
Tech Regular

i wonder if this platinum lipo can be fitted to 1/10 pan car? I did some internet search and I have been wondering on how to properly secure the cell onto the chassis. Geez, if it got separated during hard collision, it's gonna be 150 USD flying away from my bank account.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:17 AM   #598
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmio
i wonder if this platinum lipo can be fitted to 1/10 pan car? I did some internet search and I have been wondering on how to properly secure the cell onto the chassis. Geez, if it got separated during hard collision, it's gonna be 150 USD flying away from my bank account.
Would depend on shock set up and T-bar locating points.
Fits an F103 chassis which is what I plan to use it in (2wd Electric class).
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:23 AM   #599
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
This idea has been considered. But we have an even better idea we hope to implement some time in the near future
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:28 AM   #600
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart

That will not balance all the cells, if it were only a 2 cell pack it would but since it is 4 cells you need to connect to each cell individually not just the the cells in parrallel.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote