Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Where do you get they are up for approval for ROAR?

ROAR will more than likely wait for IFMAR to take action.....and the deadline for worlds has already passed, so we will not be seeing anything till late 2007 at the earliest for offroad worlds....

They certainly will not be legal for ROAR in 2006.....and I doubt 2007 either....

LiPo is going to be a cool new technology.....but it will be a while before we see it legal for racing.....

Later EddieO
Old 01-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Tech Legend

Mean time Eddie will be busy sellin those 4200`s ....LoL !
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have some 4200's coming in.....but they are kinda pointless too.....very few tracks are going to allow them and probably none of the big races till vegas is going to allow them......and NO ROAR event in 2006 will use them....

I have my LiPo source waiting in the wings.....I just don't think its time yet....

I dig LiPo though, hence why I sell the Transmitter, Reciever, and Mini pack on my site.....

Later EddieO
Old 01-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EddieO
Where do you get they are up for approval for ROAR?

ROAR will more than likely wait for IFMAR to take action.....and the deadline for worlds has already passed, so we will not be seeing anything till late 2007 at the earliest for offroad worlds....

They certainly will not be legal for ROAR in 2006.....and I doubt 2007 either....

LiPo is going to be a cool new technology.....but it will be a while before we see it legal for racing.....

Later EddieO
No offense EddieO.... ( don't kill mee.... I have some team brood 7x1 motors for 2006 season )

Here is my opinion, ROAR sucks...... I have more passion than ROAR. ROAR is blind to see the future of longer racing time for EP cars. All kind of four wheels racing should last longer than 5 minutes. Here some positive attitudes for Li Po :

LiPo battery technology is sufficient to run 10 minutes easy.
LiPo chargers are cheaper to make because lipo battery only need constant voltage and ampere during charging. Don't believe me ? Look at handphone charger. No power flex capability, No sophisticated delta peak, so it's simpler and cheaper to make.
Lipo batts are simpler because only 2 cells involve and they are pre soldered in the factory.

My suggestion for LiPo makers / matchers :
Built in fuse ( changeable please ) in case people accidentally mixed banana plug's pos (+) to neg (-) or protect the cells & ESC against overloads.
Strong lighthweight casing to protect the cell against impact / leakage. Some people stereotype LiPo power just like atomic bomb.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Just implement it will ya ... for 2007 season.

10 minutes mod
16 minutes stock

Patricio aka Tabushi runs G4 with rubber tires for 30 minutes race..... and he survived the 30 minutes ordeal. Got him 4th place though.
How many entries to you get at your local races? When do they start and when is the race day over? When would the race day end if everyone ran 10min races.

The average big race has 200-500 entries. How long would it take to get through qualifying and mains if all racers were 10 min? It would be impossible. You would have to cut entries in half. The race promotion overheads are the same so entry fees would have to double.

The best solution would be 5 min qualifiers and 10 min mains. This is do-able in a regular race day with a normal numbers of entries.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Eddie O,
I bet Europe will allow IB4200 from April(summer outdoor season), I think you will sell alot IB4200 to europe and Asia, Oh, and many 7t motor too.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AdrianM
How many entries to you get at your local races? When do they start and when is the race day over? When would the race day end if everyone ran 10min races.

The average big race has 200-500 entries. How long would it take to get through qualifying and mains if all racers were 10 min? It would be impossible. You would have to cut entries in half. The race promotion overheads are the same so entry fees would have to double.

The best solution would be 5 min qualifiers and 10 min mains. This is do-able in a regular race day with a normal numbers of entries.
Sorry, I was commenting to Daniz24, our elected hometrack EP chief for 2006. We have only 40-60 entries during nats, so even 15 minutes would not be a problem for us.

btw, the number of entries in your area are between 200 - 500 really ?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Here is my opinion, ROAR sucks...... I have more passion than ROAR. ROAR is blind to see the future of longer racing time for EP cars. All kind of four wheels racing should last longer than 5 minutes. Here some positive attitudes for Li Po :

LiPo battery technology is sufficient to run 10 minutes easy.
LiPo chargers are cheaper to make because lipo battery only need constant voltage and ampere during charging. Don't believe me ? Look at handphone charger. No power flex capability, No sophisticated delta peak, so it's simpler and cheaper to make.
Lipo batts are simpler because only 2 cells involve and they are pre soldered in the factory./ leakage. Some people stereotype LiPo power just like atomic bomb.
If ROAR sucks so does EFRA they declined the request for 7 min mod class mains (12 turn and brushless in Europe) two months ago. Both motors would be capable for that with 3700-3800 batteries. They also declined to delete the 12 turn limit for brushed motors...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

It is good to hear some discusion on the LiPo issue for 1/10. We have been racing with LiPo for years in 1/18. They are the battery of choice in open classes. I have seen a lot of improvement in the batteries, since we started using them. In the sizes we use in 1/18, cost is compairable to NiMh. The ones we use are in the $20-$40 range. We run 6 min quals & 8 min mains. We could easilly run 20 - 30 min races! We don't because it would require that everyone use some of the higher capacity choices (more expensive). Plus, the extra time required to run the event...
Most drivers have only one pack. Mine is sho gooed to the chassis. I sometimes run multiple heats without recharging (forgetful), usually put it right back on the charger when I come off the track. They get slightly warm when on the track & cool down during the charging process. Very different from what we are used to in 1/10 with NiMh!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Who has tested the Team Orion Platinum Lipo ?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Champion

Even if 50% of your local racers participated in sanctioned events, they'll see the benefits of lipo that the other guys have and will want to run with them.. How many hobby shops/race tracks do you think are going to turn down good customers? You cannot maintain any track decently if there is no income. (even the not-for-profit ones.. money in = new supplies)

Like it or not, if it is on the market and somebody tries it out at the track, it will only be a matter of 6-8 months before somebody else has one.. and on and on. Kinda like the right tires, right gearing, right aerodynamics, personal transponders (weight is weight), the right battery.. try a fresh 2000 vs a fresh 3800. oh lets not forget the right chassis layout (ala half the TC market, 4wd off-road worlds.. saddle pack for the win)

if it seems to help somebody out, some one else will copy it.

looks like i need to read up on esc's and such.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

As a Race Director, if I can run 2 quals (5mins) without having to worry about the battery, AWESOME. Peak it for the big show and let's go 8-10.

I'm seeing some pan car enduro racing (scaled 24 heures du Mans) just like the big boys. mainly because the tires should stay more consistent over the long haul than tc rubber.

but hey, lets have fun and race what we have now.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

I would like to know what is the normal run time with a 19 turns ?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry if this has been asked already...

So what does it take to charge these LIPO cells? I see some chargers that say they charge LIPO cells, but usually they are talking about smaller packs. Do they also work for the full sized packs?

Whats a list of chargers availible now that will charge these Platinum LIPO cells?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Advantage With LiPo Now Kokam Certified
22-12-2005 20:34:00 GMT +1 - Send this to a friend

Team Orion is happy to announce that its Advantage Charging System with LiPo function (ORI30117) “has been tested and certified by Kokam for use with Kokam Lithium Polymer Battery 2S (7.4V) configuration”.

This endorsement gives Kokam battery users another certified option for charging their expensive LiPo battery packs while still remaining the number one choice of champions when it comes to charging NiMh sub-C, receiver, transmitter, and micro battery packs.

Team Orion products can be purchased from your local hobby shop or at a later time through our e-SHOP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.