Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nemisis
thats kinad wat happend and after the impact the battery kin of started to grow bigger so they can be quite leathal i dnt like them
Was this an Orion Pack or another brand? There is a diffrence. Orion packs pretty much won't catch on fire unless you over charge them or short them out for an extended period of time.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

It seems like sometimes people just do not want to accept the new technology. I mean lipo battery is not exactly new technology and I have seen them explode when they were being used incorrectly or impact hard without any protection. However, I am sure Orion have worked on it enough to make sure it is well protected enough to be used in the Touring Car environment.

The Orion Lipo have been out for a while now and so far I have not heard of ONE CASE where it exploded due to hard imapct.

Even though people have blew up lipo batteries in the past does not mean the new ones will do exactly the same. There are reason why technology improves. Just because you used a 10 year old mod motor and say it is slow does not mean a new mod motor is slow. Most 19T motors now are faster then mod motors back in the days.

Also, I have seen ESC blew up and I don't see anyone not using them. Just last week, a pack of IB3800 blew up and literally shot across the track barely missing my friend's head and burnt a hole in his shirt. I don't see anyone complaing about using them.

The point is, if you use the product the way it is supposed to be used, then you will be okay.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Some people and organizations are closed minded, always have, always will be.......Lipo technology is no different. Go back and read posts from a year ago when spektrum came out, you'd have though the world was comming to an end. I dont get it, we play with technology based cars, always progressing, but when something "new" and out of the ordinary (lipo,Brushless) comes around to better our hobby, the nay sayers chime in wagging there fingers saying "its too dangerous", "it will never work". The same things were said when NiMah came out just a few years back. You needed a special charger that would detect such a small millivot change to stop the charge, for what?......so they dont explode, Sound familiar? All of the current chargers comming out now have lipo function, as far as I'm concerened the writings on the wall, like it or not lipo is here to stay.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

The BLs Ive tried just dont "FEEL" right. Something is missing on the low end and there seemed to be somthing to be desired from the throttle curve. Maybe it was the setup. However I think BL will eventualy become the standard, but for now the systems still need work. Asfar as Lipos go..Love the idea..I think when they can insure that the batteries wont explode (EVEN if you do somthing really stupid to them), they will have a winner on thier hands. If they can make the possible explosive reaction be no worse than poppin a nimh, it will be an acceptable risk for the tracks and a great option for racers and bashers of any expierence level.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Here's the problem, everyone assumes NiMah's are safe.....they are not! I'm here to tell you I've personally shorted out a pack (accidentially) Had another pack short on my chassis, with an explosion almost 2 seconds away had I not ripped out a red hot battery, shrink wrap just bubbling off it!
At this point the orion lipo (not other lipo's) are as safe, if not safer than any pack you can use.
Educating the masses is what needs to happen now. Making people understand a timed charger just wont cut it, and running a pack till your car barely creeps along wont cut it either. Some dont get this thread at all. It just seems too many people are comming on this board, saying "when this happens", or "my buddies airplane blew up using a cheep chinese made lipo" and "when the make them safe" I'll try one isnt what the thread is about, its about a newly designed "safe" lipo made just for R/C car use and ABUSE.
At this point I'd like to hear about people pesonal experiance, with a Orion Platiunum lipo that has blown up, shorted, sizzled, glowed red hot ect during normal racing, crashing into pipes .....whatever to see if there really is a safety issue with this particular battery. So far, I havent read one report of a failure.
As far as brushless, You should try my T4 with the LRP, 3star. Its amazing, it will literially flip on its lid with the blip of the throttle. Of course I'm using a orion lipo when this happens.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Adrian...

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Was this an Orion Pack or another brand? There is a diffrence. Orion packs pretty much won't catch on fire unless you over charge them or short them out for an extended period of time.

how are the guys uising the Orion Lipo in the T2? Mine won't fit.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nemisis
personally i dnt like the idea of these new battery types in my eyes they are little 2 dangerous i have seen first hand wat these things are capable of doin if the gow wrong and it can be deadly they basiclally expole if you wanna call it that they aernt the nicest of things i say stick 2 normal NIMH i.
i did catch a report in a magazine that they were thinkin of takin 10th scale to 4 cell yes it my be slower but at the same time the rate that these batterys are on increasing it will have less stress on the motor.
Nemsis, I don't mean to pick on you specifically, because this is a very commonly-held belief right now. The idea that NiMh are "safe" and LiPo are "dangerous."

I was speaking with the owner of our track last Friday, and he related the following story : a racer had a metal rack to stack chargers and power supplies on (basically to get more pit space - many of us have these), and he was charging his battery directly over his power supply, which had open vents on the top of the chassis. It turned out that one of his batteries had vented and leaked its electrolyte into the power supply. The owner got distracted and walked away just in time for the supply to send up a 3-foot fireball!

As a result, the track owner was thinking of having some steel boxes fabbed up (with some non-coductive coating) for his racers to charge their NiMh batteries in.

So the truth is that, with the rate the put energy into and pull energy out of these cells, catastrophic failure is a not-uncommon result. It's just that, since lithium fires burn for a while in the absence of oxygen, they are deemed more dangerous.

I think time will tell. I plan to pick up one of these packs the next time I'm at the track, and I hit stuff pretty hard, so I'll let people know what happens. It's pretty much this year's battery budget, but I'm hopeful enough about this technology to give it a shot. Heck, I've had a lithium battery in my pocket (cell phone) for years, and I don't even think about its possible dangers.

Mike
Old 03-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well I got my Li-Po's (2) yesterday along with a ICE charger Now I can't wait until the weekend. They fit very nicely in a TC4. Maybe now I will be able to convert some of the Nitro guy's to the elec class.

Rodney
Team Hippo Racing
Attached Thumbnails Platinum Lipo-dscf0003.jpg  
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TMHippo
Well I got my Li-Po's (2) yesterday along with a ICE charger Now I can't wait until the weekend. They fit very nicely in a TC4. Maybe now I will be able to convert some of the Nitro guy's to the elec class.

Rodney
Team Hippo Racing
Rodney - very interesting setup for your antenna. I really like the idea…
Old 03-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry to say, but with all the races that want Lipos, burshless and longer races, it is time for ROAR to embrase this movement and stop worring about the matchers. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to market a "blueprinted" Lipo.

Remember, Lead, Follow or get out the way.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Bvoltz

I found it at Tower hobbies http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPM61&P=7

I hope that helps

Rodney
Old 03-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Multiplex Lipo

Hi:
I've been reading for a while and despite Orion and Peak racing LiPo Packs, have you ever tried others? Here in Spain i found some Multiplex lipo packs, 7,4 V 3200mAh maximum throughtput of 64 A, 2S/1P.... and they came with deans connectors... at 72 EUR, I think they are pretty convenient, two of them are more or less the price of the Orion pack.... Multiplex is a well known German brand, so i don't think those are bogus packs.... Does anyone have any reference? I think those are used on electric planes.... and I was thinking on using it in my TA05 with novak SS+ brushless system....

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails Platinum Lipo-015703402.jpg  
Old 03-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by lookinco
Will there be any problems to the brushed motor if it is being run at a racing pace for 15minutes continuously? For example, would there be problem of over heating, burning up the brush, etc etc?
We do a 10 hr enduro here in offroad. and Use 1 motor the whole time. That's 10hrs of constant running. A Brushed motor can handle 20-30 minute runs without any problems if built and geared right.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by hobbipro
Educating the masses is what needs to happen now.
The thing is, its not really our job to do that. And I don't even know if its possible for us regular people to do it.

I can't count how many completely incorrect statements I've heard locally and on the boards about Lipo's since I got mine. I mean, its insane. People make bold statements like, "those will blow up servos", "those are dangerous", "you can't use those outside during the summer", "we'll never allow those 'things' here", etc...

And these aren't just the usual 'track idiots' and 'board know it alls' you hear saying this stuff. These are shop owners, track directors, Roar officials, and in most instances, smart people. Yet, some how, the message of the difference between the Platinum and truely dangerous knockoffs has missed them.

And frankly, I've stopped trying to pass on that message. If people come to me and ask about my experiences with the pack, I'll share what I know. But as for trying to pass on the differences between this and some knockoff cheaply made piece of crap, its hopeless to try to convince people. And frankly, its not our job to do so.

How about instead of hyping their new charger in their adds, Orion should take the time, and spend some add space to say....oh, I don't know...something to the effect of "this ain't yo daddies' cheap airplane Lipo".

For as good a job as Orion has done making this pack, they've done an equally piss poor job of advertising it. Because for every one of us who did our own research and find out the FACTS before purchasing, there are three people who would rather spout off about what they 'heard'.

If Orion and other battery companies want these type of packs to succeed, they better do a better job of advertising the facts, and informing the public.

But it is most definately THEIR job to do it. Because as we have seen here on this thread, people are more inclined to believe rumors than facts.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TMHippo
Bvoltz

I found it at Tower hobbies http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPM61&P=7

I hope that helps

Rodney
WOW, I was thinking this was something you made... So how are the edges? I'm asking, if you have had any problem with this cutting your wire....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.