R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Not sure about the T2, but the Fk05 is typically overweight in FOAM without adding anything....

I don't think running 5 minute qualifiers and then 10+ minute mains will work very well....its gas....and racers will be required to make guesses on gearing and such to stay competive...

Racing is fine right now at 5 minutes......by the end, the top 3-5 are usually on the lead lap......in gas, yer lucky if the top two are even on the lead lap....it just becomes a car endurance war....5 minutes gives plenty of RACING......and allows the tracks to have enough entries to stay open.....

I can barely hold my arm up for 8 minutes as it is.....

Later EddieO
Gas racers have more guesswork to do than electric racers would...Tire size, fuel stops intervals, gear ratios, etc.

How many races would have had different outcomes if it laster just one more lap? 5 min racing is an all out sprint. In stock and 19T if you have a bad start you are done no matter how fast you are you will never make it from last to the lead in 5 min with a good group of drivers.

10 min mains would reward the most consistently fast driver with the best car setup not the guy that lucked out on the start.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #32
Tech Legend

We run longer races at Trcr all the time...

5 min qualiflier`s ...

8 min mains....

and yes , the longer time makes a big differents in racing action....

Poor Eddie, your gona have to hold that transmitter a whole hour at the SIR enduro ....

Just so you know , my arm is used to 18 minutes, running my brushless & all...
After Trcr`s enduro ?
My arm was real sore for several days....
Attached Thumbnails
Platinum Lipo-wc.jpg  
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:57 AM   #33
Tech Adept

What makes Nitro exciting is the fact you can race longer. Now with the Platinum you can race longer without having the noise and the oily cars !
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #34
Tech Adept

looks like Ryan could race more than 18 minutes in off-road with a modified V2
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:46 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Tower has them in stock
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #36
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Great news, but I don't see these becoming the next big thing anytime soon. They will eventually, but not anytime soon. Car designs, motor designs, tyres etc all have to change just for the different type of battery (LiPo) because of its weight and the amount of seconds it pushes out compared to NiMh.

The price - $139 is also a major factor in this, but I guess that's probably just the MSRP? which seems confusing as Orion listed these at $100 when they first hit the news bulletin.
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
Great news, but I don't see these becoming the next big thing anytime soon. They will eventually, but not anytime soon. Car designs, motor designs, tyres etc all have to change just for the different type of battery (LiPo) because of its weight and the amount of seconds it pushes out compared to NiMh.

The price - $139 is also a major factor in this, but I guess that's probably just the MSRP? which seems confusing as Orion listed these at $100 when they first hit the news bulletin.
Plus in the US, for Touring Car racing, I suspect it will be many years before ROAR approves this big technology jump.

Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guess again...
The Nimh batteries are reaching there peek!

Lipo batteries are already going up for approval this year to ROAR!

It's comming just like the brushless motor systems.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
Guess again...
The Nimh batteries are reaching there peek!

Lipo batteries are already going up for approval this year to ROAR!

It's comming just like the brushless motor systems.
I'd love to be wrong. I'm very frustrated that beginners and novices can't enjoy the benefits of the brushless systems without going all the way to mod class, where they have no business.

Same for LiPO. I'd love to have the lighter, longer lasting, lower maintenance technology, but so far ROAR is not sure about allowing cells to be 1 mm longer, so I'm not sure how ready ROAR is to approve an entirely new form factor.

Again, I'd love to be wrong.

Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
So far it is a non issue. The drivers who have used the Platinum experience longer run times, more speed, and faster lap times with no changes other than the battery.

Quote:
The MSRP is $199.99. Team Orion estimated the street price to be around $125.00.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=208344
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg
Plus in the US, for Touring Car racing, I suspect it will be many years before ROAR approves this big technology jump.

Ira
Maybe. But some hobby shops are already allowing the Platinum LiPo in modified class. Once the ball is rolling there is no way ROAR can look the other way.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #42
Regional Moderator

more than 10 minutes on modified motor? I dont think this is suitable for asphalt rubber class...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
more than 10 minutes on modified motor? I dont think this is suitable for asphalt rubber class...
Yes, you can run 10+ as is or gear/motor for the same speed as NiMH and gain even more run time.

Why would it not be suitable? All you are doing is increasing run time. Tire wear will not be any greater than if you ran the tires in two 5-minute heats - same as with any wear component.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #44
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Yes, you can run 10+ as is or gear/motor for the same speed as NiMH and gain even more run time.

Why would it not be suitable? All you are doing is increasing run time. Tire wear will not be any greater than if you ran the tires in two 5-minute heats - same as with any wear component.
It's not the tire wear problem, here the major problem for tropical country is the tire being overheat even with just 5 mins mod.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
It's not the tire wear problem, here the major problem for tropical country is the tire being overheat even with just 5 mins mod.
Just implement it will ya ... for 2007 season.

10 minutes mod
16 minutes stock

Patricio aka Tabushi runs G4 with rubber tires for 30 minutes race..... and he survived the 30 minutes ordeal. Got him 4th place though.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote