R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #316
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to GASKET98

in all honesty, i have been looking for lipo chargers, Integy will be releasing some updated versions soon.i would like the capability to charge them in the future. I just said im waiting.
GASKET98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #317
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASKET98
? sorry if i was rude.
I don't think what you said was rude, not even the way you said it. I just think where your saying it is kinda odd.

Now if you were saying that you had seen a Platinum Lipo blow up, then it would make sense. But since Orion states that they and Kokam have worked together to prevent just the sort of stuff you mentioned, then until someone says that Orion's battery has had issues, I think they get the benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #318
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I think there's a fundamental difference between airplane and car (Peak and Orion) LiPos...from what I can tell, the guts of the batteries are basically a putty (the "polymer" part) with some kind of membrane inside.

If you smash them (ie, in a plane crash), there's really no protection whatsoever for the battery besides the plastic/foil sheet stuff on the outside. Weight is everything for those guys.

The Platinums are deep inside a hard plastic box. They don't even fill the box completely. I don't know how hard you crash or plan on crashing, but I bet it isn't any harder than I do...if you can smash the case on a Platinum, you deserve to have your car burn up.

Platinums ROCK!
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #319
Regional Moderator

Anybody notice that the Plantinum's case seems very attracted to tire foam? I swear I spent more time trying to clean the pack off than actually charging it.

It was like for every little bit I brushed off, more suddenly appeared from thin air!

Anyway....maybe it was just me...

I needed to discuss the subject of heat. One of the biggest topics I saw when researching LiPo was watching the heat, particularly while charging. But while charging mine, there didn't seem to be any heat buildup at all. In fact, when I would come off the track, the pack would be barely warmer than room temp, then as it spent time charging, it would actually cool down to room temp.

Am I missing something here? Where exactly do the concerns about too much heat come in?
Old 02-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #320
Tech Elite

I think the problems start when the battery is either crushed, over-charged or over-discharged (shorted). When the structural integrity is compromised (crushed or melted), they can go "nuclear". I'm not sure exactly how bad it has to be hurt to "run away" thermally, but I suspect it's not just going to happen from an RC crash.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:17 AM   #321
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just made a rash decision and bought one!! I'm on the bandwagon now.
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #322
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdougie
I just made a rash decision and bought one!! I'm on the bandwagon now.
Poor guy...I hope everthing works out ok...LOL

I'm twice as rash...I bought two.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:43 AM   #323
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Anybody notice that the Plantinum's case seems very attracted to tire foam? I swear I spent more time trying to clean the pack off than actually charging it.

It was like for every little bit I brushed off, more suddenly appeared from thin air!

Anyway....maybe it was just me...

I needed to discuss the subject of heat. One of the biggest topics I saw when researching LiPo was watching the heat, particularly while charging. But while charging mine, there didn't seem to be any heat buildup at all. In fact, when I would come off the track, the pack would be barely warmer than room temp, then as it spent time charging, it would actually cool down to room temp.

Am I missing something here? Where exactly do the concerns about too much heat come in?
Darkseid, this is exactly the difference between Kokam Team Orion Platinum RC Car technology and the low cost type batteries. If you reads some plane magazines you will see some low cost packs need cooling holes......
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:20 AM   #324
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicandy
lipos at last hope the brca will make them legal to use asap.i fly model aircraft with lipos and they are really awesome.in cars they are gonna be fantastic just what the mod boys needed for there 7 turn motors. long live lipo
I sure that after the various issues have been addressed, which will be the same as outlined above by Tim Potter, they will be - but NOT for this year. It will all come in good time
Then it becomes a matter for the sections to decide if they want them and how they fit into their rules. Not going to happen in 1/12th as they run 4 cell mostly in saddle pack. Anyone with a saddle pack chassis or anything other than inline on their tourer or buggy is going to be screwed!
Shame they don't do an 4 cell equivalent, as a 1250g mod tourer would be awesome.
Frank N. Furter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:51 AM   #325
Tech Adept

Frank,
Yes, I agree with you that the 1/12th scale racers may not have a LiPo solutions due the voltage numbers (4.8v or 3.7v or 7.4v) but the saddle pack configuration is not a problem. The Losi Mini LST, the Kyosho Half 8 and others have a saddle pack configuration and we have been using LiPo's in them since the say the cars were introduced. Almost all of the 1/8th scale buggy conversions have a battery pack on each side of the chassis (a big saddle pack) and many of us use LiPo's in them. Unless I am missing something, saddle pack users are not "screwed".
Thanks.
mpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #326
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Almost all of the 1/8th scale buggy conversions have a battery pack on each side of the chassis (a big saddle pack) and many of us use LiPo's in them. Unless I am missing something, saddle pack users are not "screwed".
As far as I'm aware the 'Platinum' Lipos come in one shape for RC cars and that at the present time precludes saddle-pack design for the electric classes (1/12th, 1/10th Tourers and buggies wasn't referring to 1/8th), so they are 'screwed'.

As one of the big concerns would seem to be 'safety', I wouldn't be surprised if the sanctioning bodies insisted on them being encased and with a safety warning about using the correct charger.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:46 AM   #327
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N. Furter
I wouldn't be surprised if the sanctioning bodies insisted on them being encased and with a safety warning about using the correct charger.
This is one thing I don't get from Tim Potter's list. I understood the "Voltage", "Form factor", and "Cost" as concerns for the sanctioning bodies. But "Safety"??? Why would these packs require any extra attention in that department?

Last I checked, all packs, kits, chargers, dischargers, etc...already come with a warning about using them correctly.

Its called the instructions!

A lot of critics that I've seen, seem to forget that at one point, EVERYONE had to eventually switch to a new charger to deal with NiMH packs. Anybody remember that? Now I know what some will say, "well this is different"? How? When NiMh first came out, I heard horror stories of packs being charged improperly and venting and yes 'gasp' even catching fire. Sound familiar to anyone?(so I guess that isn't a Lipo exclusive )

Now I don't know about you guys, but even with those horror stories, I don't recall any labels on my new NiMH pack reminding me to use the proper charger? At least not any labels required by a sanctioning body.

I think warning labels need to be left to the people who know them best....the lawyers. And I'm sure every company has all the lawyers they need to make sure that people know to use their products correctly...and that if the don't...whatever happens is on them.

And the last thing they need is sanctioning bodies telling them what their lawyers are already telling them.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #328
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup...At the Snowbirds one racer overcharged a pack and a cell exploded. It was as loud as a car back fire. It got everyone's attention to say the least. No one got hurt but it just showed if you miss-use any battery you will have problems
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #329
Tech Apprentice

Since when do drivers read instruction manuals
When things go wrong on course
Some are already using the motor function to charge their Lipos

Like why do cars need 'objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear' on their mirrors when it is in the Instructions.

Quote:
A lot of critics that I've seen, seem to forget that at one point, EVERYONE had to eventually switch to a new charger to deal with NiMH packs.
What utter rubbish! No, EVERYONE didn't have to get a new charger- the only thing they had to do was adjust the cut-off. Turbo-30 owner
Old 02-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #330
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N. Furter
As far as I'm aware the 'Platinum' Lipos come in one shape for RC cars and that at the present time precludes saddle-pack design for the electric classes (1/12th, 1/10th Tourers and buggies wasn't referring to 1/8th), so they are 'screwed'.

As one of the big concerns would seem to be 'safety', I wouldn't be surprised if the sanctioning bodies insisted on them being encased and with a safety warning about using the correct charger.
Frank,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I assumed (maybe a mistake on my part) that other manufacturers other than Orion are trying to LiPo batteries approved. Not all of them have the same form factor that the Orion batteries do. Also, regarding safety, I thought that one of the safety features of the Orion battery is the chemical mix in the LiPo which makes it much less prone to explosion if punctured. While the plastic case helps, I think they are other safety features built into the Orion pack.
It's just interesting that from personal experience, I have had one battery pack ignite during the charging process and it was a NiMH pack, not the LiPo and I have been using LiPo batteries for years now.
Thanks and I hope we keep moving forward in terms of using new and better technology.
mpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote