R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2006, 07:24 PM   #301
Tech Initiate

Cool the way forward

lipos at last hope the brca will make them legal to use asap.i fly model aircraft with lipos and they are really awesome.in cars they are gonna be fantastic just what the mod boys needed for there 7 turn motors. long live lipo
atomicandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #302
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Happy to report that my first race outing with the the Platinum was a complete success. There was an obvious voltage improvement over the usual 'budget' (I guess $50-$60 packs are 'budget' to some people) packs that I usually run.

The weight loss for my TA05 was also welcomed. While running 19t sedan, I only used about 1800+ mah each outing, so theoretically, I could have run at least three times before recharging the pack....but I didn't try it.
just curious, did u add weights to balance the car?
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #303
Tech Adept

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicandy
lipos at last hope the brca will make them legal to use asap.i fly model aircraft with lipos and they are really awesome.in cars they are gonna be fantastic just what the mod boys needed for there 7 turn motors. long live lipo
And I thought you didn't like lipo , you pulled the wool on that one!
I'm glad you fly, I only ever see your planes in your kitchen
pookat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #304
Tech Initiate

funny merv thats why u have flown one and by the way you meant to say kept a lid on that one and its pulled the wool over ones eyes
Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 AM   #305
Tech Adept

I know the phrase dude, didn't think u needed it to know what i meant.
pookat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #306
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Lipo's are a hot topic with the On and Off Road Electric Committees for ROAR. There are a bunch of people that like the advantages of them in our groups, but there are many different obstacles.

1. Voltage

2. Form Factor

3. Safety

4. Cost

While all of these issues can be resolved, we have to be sure to make the right decisions at the right time. Lipo's are the new tech, and there will be changes to accommodate new technology in the future. While we solicit feedback from manufacturers, I can assure you that no manufacturer is driving what we discuss and ultimately suggest being legal.

So your answer to the last question is NO, you do not have to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
"we have to make sure these things never become legal for racing" (worse thoughts)

But since I've already been slapped on the wrist by a roar rep here who insist that big manufacturers have no say in what is/isn't legal, I guess we all don't have to worry about that last one huh?

Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #307
Tech Initiate

i know there is a big safety issue with lipos but surely manufacturers will improve on that dont you think
Old 02-14-2006, 09:33 AM   #308
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does any one have pictures of the Orion battery in a TC4 Tube Chassis. Plus any pictures of a Voltage cut off device hook up to their speed controller( GTX)

I am looking forward to getting this battery It will make my life so much easier with my Two boys racing with me .
TMHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #309
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp
just curious, did u add weights to balance the car?
Good question...

This was one of my biggest concerns when running the pack, because it does take off so much weight. But heres how it worked out.

The electronics on my car stayed the same. With a mix of some lightweight and some not so light components.
-KO Propo 2173
-Novak Xxtra
-19t motor
-Futaba MC800C ver.2

3700 cells w/shrink wrap-the car was heavy to the battery side, so I had to compensate by adding slightly more preload on that side with the shock collars just to get equal ride height and balanced handling. But even with this, the car still turned more to one side than the other. Go figure...

Platinum LiPo-the car was very slightly heavy to the electronic side, so I had to compensate by taking away a little preload on the battery side to get equal ride height and balanced handling. But unlike with the heavier pack, the adjustments to preload seemed to work and the car turned equally to both sides.

So in the end, all I did was adjust the preload, pretty much what I had to do with my regular packs.

So I guess what I have to gather from that is, that if you have to adjust for battery weight (and ANY car that has the battery to one side HAS to), then its better to have to adjust for a lighter battery than for a heavy one.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #310
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter
Lipo's are a hot topic with the On and Off Road Electric Committees for ROAR....

...While all of these issues can be resolved, we have to be sure to make the right decisions at the right time. Lipo's are the new tech, and there will be changes to accommodate new technology in the future. While we solicit feedback from manufacturers, I can assure you that no manufacturer is driving what we discuss and ultimately suggest being legal.
okey dokey...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #311
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to GASKET98
Default .

Have you ever seen what LiPo's can due to an airplane? They can actually explode after hard impact. I'm going to wait at least a few months untill i decide to make any rash decisions about going lipo. And, as far as weight concerns go, how many cars do you see over the weight limit? hardly any using nicd or nimh. If your wanting to lighten up your car, you are still going to add ballast to make weight req. , now if you are wanting to use that extra weight savings to place ballast in places you want or need it, thats a different story.
GASKET98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #312
Tech Adept

This is totally true with cheap chinese made Lipo but KOKAM Team Orion cells are 100% safe !
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #313
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I wish everyone would just go over to orion's site and read up on the platinum lipo, and listen to the few trustworthy who are now using these on this board. It just seems there is too much misinfomation requarding these packs. It must stem from the LHS guys not up on this particular battery, giving old information out, comparing these to "traditional" lipo's.
No, this is not the same lipo technology as in the FMA scorpion pack, or the packs the airplane guys are using, or even the same as lipo's of 2 months ago. Yes, those packs mentioned should be labeled hazzardous if missused. The orion pack is a compltley new lipo dedicted for R/C car USE, and ABUSE. Meaning these will not explode, implode, on impacts. If they are accidently shorted out they simply swell up, kinda like venting, and no longer disscharge voltage. The only safety issues at this point is making sure guys are not eating them (duh), using a lipo specific chager set up properly, and making sure when the vehicle begins to slow down, stop running it! Exactly, the same way you would a NiCad/NimaH battery. These batts are in no way the monster some make them out to be.
It would probably be best if all lipo's were made like the orion pack to prevent guys showing up with cheep chinese airplane packs stuffed into there cars, exploding at the end of the straight, ruining it for us all. We need rules that speak specifically to the battery make-up, instead of grouping "lipo" into one spefic catagory as being too dangerous.

Sorry for the rant
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #314
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASKET98
Have you ever seen what LiPo's can due to an airplane? They can actually explode after hard impact. I'm going to wait at least a few months untill i decide to make any rash decisions about going lipo. And, as far as weight concerns go, how many cars do you see over the weight limit? hardly any using nicd or nimh. If your wanting to lighten up your car, you are still going to add ballast to make weight req. , now if you are wanting to use that extra weight savings to place ballast in places you want or need it, thats a different story.

I just don't get post like this.

This person has clearly made up their mind.

I (and others here like me) read all the info, did our research, and made our "rash" decision to go with LiPo. So why would this person care if our $140 pack fails and cost us money???

In what way does that effect his life???

It just doesn't make sense to even post this...
Old 02-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #315
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to GASKET98
Default .

? sorry if i was rude.
GASKET98 is offline   Reply With Quote