Tech Adept

how long can you drive in a 2WD buggy ?
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:52 AM   #287
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup2004
If you connect the positive (red) on the regular positive tube and the negative on the 2mm tube on the back, you will charge one cell only. Then by connecting the negative wire on the negative tube (black) and the positive on the 2mm center tube on the back you will fully charge the 2nd cell. By doing this you equalize the pack again. The charger need to be on one cell setting !

They also said it is not needed but can be done every 30 discharge to make sure the cells are again full together at 100%.
Thanks alot! I hoped it was that simple. I was considering going with the scorpion but this seals it. I would rather not carry use dedicated li-poly chargers. Since we will still be running several ROAR events this year that would be more stuff to tote.
woodytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 AM   #288
Tech Adept

Scorpion are plane batteries, no protection at all Platinum are made for CARS
Old 02-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #289
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Happy to report that my first race outing with the the Platinum was a complete success. There was an obvious voltage improvement over the usual 'budget' (I guess $50-$60 packs are 'budget' to some people) packs that I usually run.

The weight loss for my TA05 was also welcomed. While running 19t sedan, I only used about 1800+ mah each outing, so theoretically, I could have run at least three times before recharging the pack....but I didn't try it.

The charger nearly charge the pack completely before my next race, but it didn't matter since the voltage was the same whether the pack was full or almost full.

This was definitely a turning point for me with R/C. Dischargers, discharge trays, matched/unmatched packs, battery of the month, battery cases filled with 6-8 batteries(with only two really race worthy), it all seems so pointless now.

I am thoroughly impressed with this battery.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #290
Tech Adept

Are the Platinum Lipo allowed at your track ?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #291
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thats good to hear Darkseid! I hope more people read this thread and find out for themselves how good this battery really is. I've been ranting to everyone who will listen, these batteries will flat out put an end to the stupid battery wars! When I get asked about the high $$ of this batt, I say look at it this way, a serious racer needs to buy 3-4 good packs probably 2x a year (every 6 months) to be competitive. Thats $150-$200 for mid matched packs. So, at the end of the year you've got around $300-$400 worth of batts constantly being overturned.(again competitive racers) Spending just $280 for 2 li-po's and be done for maybe 2 seasons of racing is worth it for me. Gotta wonder what the matchers, manufacturese are thinking right now, I'd love to see them squirm around a bit, instead of us everytime a new battery comes out every month or so.......
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #292
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Sold my tray, Nimh chargers and bought another Platinum and another ICE...my box is emptier and I go faster with less hassle. Gonna sell my other PS, since I can easily charge two LiPos at the same time at 4.8 with one 10a PS...

Just have a few stick packs and a 20A Integy discharger for Roto-Starts.

Life is good...Spektrum, Novak BL and Platinum.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #293
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas
Scorpion are plane batteries, no protection at all Platinum are made for CARS
Scorpoin does have LI-POLY for cars. Stormer sells them on line. Scorpion claims that there charger and battery combo balances the battery and charges better. the have a ton of wires and it all looks very impressive. My bet is it is all snake oil and voodoo to sell there packs. They use the same cells. I dont need to carry any more junk than I alreay do. Having 3 chargers for LI-PO and 3 for regular packs.

Yes my local track allows LI-POLY for club races. Right now we are indoor on carpet but I am looking forward to going outside in a couple of months. We have a dirt oval and an off-road course. We are running sprints open class. I have run my sprint with a GT7 and Checkpoint 9 turn and it is HATEFULL! I am looking forward to runing 3 heats and a main. If the 4800 can supply enough juice for 5 min main using a low turn brushed or a gtb/5.5 then I am all in. When your turning 4.1 second laps I am worn out! I don't need to run 15 or even 10 min. I would rather have less weight and just enough pack to run my main safely.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #294
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas
Are the Platinum Lipo allowed at your track ?
Yeah, why wouldn't they be? When we hold sanctioned races they aren't allowed, but I'm talking about weekend club racing.

When things get so serious around here that I have to start worrying about what will be "allowed" at weekend club races, is when the track will lose my money.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #295
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
Gotta wonder what the matchers, manufacturese are thinking right now...
Thats easy, their thinking:

"We have to come out with a LiPo of our own" (good thoughts)

-or-

"we have to convince people these things still aren't safe and cost too much" (bad thoughts)

-or-

"we have to make sure these things never become legal for racing" (worse thoughts)

But since I've already been slapped on the wrist by a roar rep here who insist that big manufacturers have no say in what is/isn't legal, I guess we all don't have to worry about that last one huh?

Old 02-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #296
Tech Adept

It would be cool to make 20 min races with 5 min heats and 10 min semi.
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #297
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytx
Scorpoin does have LI-POLY for cars. Stormer sells them on line. Scorpion claims that there charger and battery combo balances the battery and charges better. the have a ton of wires and it all looks very impressive. My bet is it is all snake oil and voodoo to sell there packs. They use the same cells. I dont need to carry any more junk than I alreay do. Having 3 chargers for LI-PO and 3 for regular packs.

Yes my local track allows LI-POLY for club races. Right now we are indoor on carpet but I am looking forward to going outside in a couple of months. We have a dirt oval and an off-road course. We are running sprints open class. I have run my sprint with a GT7 and Checkpoint 9 turn and it is HATEFULL! I am looking forward to runing 3 heats and a main. If the 4800 can supply enough juice for 5 min main using a low turn brushed or a gtb/5.5 then I am all in. When your turning 4.1 second laps I am worn out! I don't need to run 15 or even 10 min. I would rather have less weight and just enough pack to run my main safely.
I see were from the same area Whats your tracks name?
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #298
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Kid
I see were from the same area Whats your tracks name?
Stateline R/C the dirt oval and off road are in Fremont Indiana. The property line is litterely the Michigan state line. The east property line is the right of way for I-69. We are inside for the winter at our carpet track in Angola Indiana, which is about 6 miles further south down I-69. We hosted a MARS race last year and are looking forward to hosting more events this year. Check it out at www.statelinerc.com. There are a couple of special races coming up.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #299
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Is there such thing as storing these at too low of a temp? I'd rather store these in the garage but it is unheated. Thanks.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #300
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillertwo
My speed control is a Shulze Uforce 75.
It is for use with brushless and brushed motors and you can adjust almost everything by linking it to a computer and using a programm from Shulze.
This has got to be the sweetest most advanced competition speed control ever built to date!!!

I have one with the U-Link (PC software connection). It lets me adjust parameters that one never dreamed of on an ESC.

This includes fine tuning the voltage cut-off which comes in handy especially when running multiple or higher voltage Lithium pack formats.