R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #256
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
Stormerhobbies.com has them in stock, also they have the Team Peak platinum edition (same as orion, prettier sticker ). KThobbies.com has the peak 4800's to, for $137.99, and ships USPS! I have nothing but praise for these batteries, I hope orion is working with the sanctioning bodies to have them on the lists for next year. Fingers crossed.
We are working on it.

In the past I would have thought it impossible to make them legal considering the "wrong chemistry" etc. Since brushless motors are allowed along side brushed motors (different "chemisty" also), I see no reason Lipo and NiMh should not be allowed to race together.

In the end the consumer will be the boss. If enough people use them (and they are!), clubs, tracks, and sanctioning bodies will have no choice but to allow them.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #257
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
We are working on it.

In the past I would have thought it impossible to make them legal considering the "wrong chemistry" etc. Since brushless motors are allowed along side brushed motors (different "chemisty" also), I see no reason Lipo and NiMh should not be allowed to race together.

In the end the consumer will be the boss. If enough people use them (and they are!), clubs, tracks, and sanctioning bodies will have no choice but to allow them.
Rick,
We were saying the same thing in another thread. The consumer will drive all of this. Just a year or so ago, LiPo's and BL motors were treated more like the "underground". Now as there popularity has risen (and rightfully so), the sanctioning bodies would be silly not to recognize the trend.
Thanks,
Matt
mpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #258
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
I doubt that will happen. You have to have the name Trinity behind you to get new cells legalized that quickly. If Trinity has a new cell/motor technology, it gets legalized in record time. Other companies have to wait their due time.

And this isn't coming from one of those Trinity bashers...
Totally incorrect. The process is the same for everyone. Contact the technical director for more and more importantly, correct information.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #259
Tech Regular

raff you ben racin???? where at???
bigragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #260
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli
Totally incorrect. The process is the same for everyone. Contact the technical director for more and more importantly, correct information.
I don't know any of this for a fact, but it appears to me that "big name" companies do have a large amount of control over the sanctioning bodies. It seems that many rules directly benefit the "big name" guys and not what is happening or desired by the majority. Just my opinion.....................
mpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #261
Tech Adept

Hello,

I was wondering if it is only the depth of discharge that is important for the Orion Lipo's and what is meant with 80% DOD ? Is 80% the same as discharging them to for instance 6 volt ?

I would also like to know if charging them in a certain way is important for their lifespan ? An easy way could be to stop charging when the current starts to drop from 4.8 amp ?
Or does charging them for 100% every time have no impact on their lifespan ?

Last question is if it is beter to charge at 4 amp or at 4.8 amp for the battery ?

I have three of these and am very happy with them.

Greetz,
S
Spillertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #262
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I spoke to the guys at CE last week and the GFX should have an update for LI-POLY available next month.
woodytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #263
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli
Hey, save your "poor offended Roar rep" attitude for someone else. If you want to believe that "Back woods batteries" can get their stuff legal as fast as Reedy or Trinity, hey, more power to you...

But I have eyes, and I can see that over the last few years, new cells have been becoming legal FAR quicker than they used to. And most of those cells were backed by Trinity. Now if this isn't what really is happening, then A LOT of people are imagining things...

And again, save the attitude for the hundreds of dissatisfied Roar members who line up to bash Roar everytime you guys screw up, cause I'm not one of them. I'm just a club racer who could give a crap about you guys and what you legalize.

Now I'm sorry that you guys take so much heat all the time, but you need to learn to focus that frustration on the people giving you hard time.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #264
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I doubt that will happen. You have to have the name Trinity behind you to get new cells legalized that quickly. If Trinity has a new cell/motor technology, it gets legalized in record time. Other companies have to wait their due time.
This was sort of true buy it no longer the case. 2 years ago there was no rule about battery submission. A manufacturer could submit battereies for approval any time they wanted as long as they could prove they had imported a sufficient number of cells and the cell met the dimension rules.

It appeared that Trinity was pulling strings but this was not the case. They at various times were the exclusive of Sanyo, Panasonic and GP so it was their responsibility to get the cells legalized. Trinity is just a very well run organization that moves fast when they have an opportunity.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #265
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigragu
raff you ben racin???? where at???
hey boss, marshalls in PA.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #266
Tech Elite

Talking

Quote:
Hey, save your "poor offended Roar rep" attitude for someone else. If you want to believe that "Back woods batteries" can get their stuff legal as fast as Reedy or Trinity, hey, more power to you...

But I have eyes, and I can see that over the last few years, new cells have been becoming legal FAR quicker than they used to. And most of those cells were backed by Trinity. Now if this isn't what really is happening, then A LOT of people are imagining things...

And again, save the attitude for the hundreds of dissatisfied Roar members who line up to bash Roar everytime you guys screw up, cause I'm not one of them. I'm just a club racer who could give a crap about you guys and what you legalize.

Now I'm sorry that you guys take so much heat all the time, but you need to learn to focus that frustration on the people giving you hard time.
LOL
Old 02-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #267
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default It would be cool if they would make a...

brushless and lipo class at big events. That way these team guys could get back to having some fun.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 AM   #268
pin
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Platinum on T2

Have you put the platinum Li-po on Xray T2?
Because the right rear bulkhead is slot for Ni-Mh,
Do you have and suggestion?

Thanks
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:00 AM   #269
Tech Adept

I heard that Hotbodies, Losi and Tamiya are making chassis for the Team Orion Lipo.
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:41 AM   #270
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup2004
I heard that Hotbodies, Losi and Tamiya are making chassis for the Team Orion Lipo.
eh?? What's to change on the Cyclone? Nothing is in the way, just tape in the battery. I'd imagine the Tamiya is the same but the Losi might require some changes.