R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #136
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmnx
Can I use this Lipo with Duratrax ICE ?

Thanks for the comment.
The ICE is LiPo compatible and is a charger we recommend for use with the Platinum.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
lipos don't like to be repeaked? I'm considering getting a pack, but I'm worried about going beyond the voltage cut off. I hate to ruin a $135 pack. Off hand, does anyone know if the GTB has a voltage cut off?
I do not see a cut-off listed as a feature on Novak's site. I'd give Novak a call.

While I understand the fear of ruining an expensive pack, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is pretty obvious when the car begins to slow. You simply stop at that time. In most cases you can drive the car around to where you are driving. On big tracks you may have to go get it.

In current racing situations, you will never get low enough to have to worry (unless race lengths are extended). So practice is where you would have to worry the most. To be safe without a cut-off, you can determine your average run times (maybe you run 15 minutes) and set your radio timer (or stopwatch timer) to sound when you are close to that time.

One thing you will have to be careful about is when another person drives your car or uses your battery. They need to be instructed not to run the car until it stops.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #138
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to the pig

wonder why no cut off? kokam made the fma direct scorpion li-po and that is the safest battery that i have found out there also the fastest charge around and eqaulizes too. what hapen there?
the pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #139
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pig
wonder why no cut off? kokam made the fma direct scorpion li-po and that is the safest battery that i have found out there also the fastest charge around and eqaulizes too. what hapen there?
The packs are not the same. Team Orion wanted the BEST battery for use in cars. It does not need the excess wires and plugs to do the job it is intended to do.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #140
Tech Adept

Default KOKAM CERTIFIED CHARGER

Here is the safest way to charge Lipo for cars

Advantage With LiPo Now Kokam Certified
22-12-2005 20:34:00 GMT +1 - Send this to a friend

Team Orion is happy to announce that its Advantage Charging System with LiPo function (ORI30117) “has been tested and certified by Kokam for use with Kokam Lithium Polymer Battery 2S (7.4V) configuration”.

This endorsement gives Kokam battery users another certified option for charging their expensive LiPo battery packs while still remaining the number one choice of champions when it comes to charging NiMh sub-C, receiver, transmitter, and micro battery packs.
Attached Thumbnails
Platinum Lipo-advantage_carbon_lipo_w.jpg  
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #141
Tech Initiate

Default lipo fun

I bought the lipo and the Orion charger last week to run in my T4. Several others at my track also have them now and they really do make a big difference that is noticable and I'm just a new guy. I use mine for practicing and it gives me more time on the track and recharge time isn't bad. I'm charging at 4.8amps as shown in the orion charger set up for the lipo battery. Seems to work good and the batteries are always cool. Can run 10-12 mins no problem and using the stock monster motors heat build up in the motor isn't bad. So far I'm impressed as are all the guys using them.
T4 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #142
Tech Adept

Do you have more speed and more punch ?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #143
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Duratrax Ice Settings / pro4

OK, I just ordered one of these. Anyone have recommendations on the settings for the Duratrax Ice charger?

Also, has anyone put this in a pro4 yet? If so, were there any issues?

Last edited by or8ital; 01-19-2006 at 02:21 PM.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Thanks Rick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I do not see a cut-off listed as a feature on Novak's site. I'd give Novak a call.

While I understand the fear of ruining an expensive pack, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is pretty obvious when the car begins to slow. You simply stop at that time. In most cases you can drive the car around to where you are driving. On big tracks you may have to go get it.

In current racing situations, you will never get low enough to have to worry (unless race lengths are extended). So practice is where you would have to worry the most. To be safe without a cut-off, you can determine your average run times (maybe you run 15 minutes) and set your radio timer (or stopwatch timer) to sound when you are close to that time.

One thing you will have to be careful about is when another person drives your car or uses your battery. They need to be instructed not to run the car until it stops.
I'll have to give one a try.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #145
Tech Adept

I would be nice to have a set-up for the Advantage Carbon Charger, Rick can you help ?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #146
Tech Regular

Is there any weight changes I would need to make for my B4. Such as adding an x amount of weight. Or suspension changes, different springs, pistons, oil, etc. when running the LiPo?

Rick H, I think you have a B4, what did you have to do Please.
TadehI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #147
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
......Anyone have recommendations on the settings for the Duratrax Ice charger?.......
Yes, I'd like to have this information, too...

Please anyone ....

Thx.
rcmnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #148
Tech Regular

Default Food for thought....

Food for thought....

Everyone is concerned about the voltage cutoff. Answer fun the new Nomadio Sensor Radio with the Voltage sensor, you can set the cut off voltage and it will vibrate when low voltage has been reached!

As for 1/12 scale, maybe running at 3.7 volts would be so bad. You could run a lower turn motor to make up the difference and with the added run time it shouldn't be an issue. Loosing 1.1 volts might be too much, but until you tried it? They could then issue 1cell packs that could then be wired in series for the saddle cars. You'll probably need to run a seperate receiver pack...

I like the idea of shoe glueing in the battery and forgeting it! And if we are going to stay with the 5 and 8 min heats. Why do we need 4800s? Why not make them even smaller/lighter and run ~3600s or less. Only mod really needs any additional run time.

And one more, I'm assuming someone out there is already making replacement chasis with no slots and milled out a square area and added some kind of new straps for the new Lipo's.
billneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #149
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Along the same lines as the nomadio, you can do the same thing with the Spektrum Telemetry module. Though the instructions arent very good at explaining how to install it.

EDIT: I would no longer recommend the Spektrum Telemetry module after having tried it.

Last edited by or8ital; 01-21-2006 at 07:20 AM.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #150
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Red face Saddle pack Lipos

Kokam makes a 7.4V Lipo that is the size of 3 cells and are 1600 mah. Get one for each side and wire them in parallel for 3200 mah. Charge them seperately and they are balanced.
You might be able to find ones that are even more suited if you look.
My car makes time easily on 2400 mah for stock and 19T racing. With 3300s I have a bunch of juice left after 5 minutes.
3200 mah should be fine.
Food for thought.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote