Like Tree82Likes

Serpent Project 4-X

    Hide Wikipost
Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Serpent Project 4-X
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WagwanBumba
Introduction
This is a wiki page for the new and very interesting concept 4-X from Serpent. This is wiki is meant to develop and grow as more is understood about the car.

Serpent's Product Page - http://www.serpent.com/product/400030
The 4-X Development Story - Here

Manual - Here

Spring Chart
SOFTEST
  • 401705 Spring white C4.4 4X (2)
  • 401706 Spring yellow C4.9 4X (2)
  • 401707 Spring orange C5.5 4X (2) = kit
  • 401708 Spring red C6.3 4X (2)
  • 401709 Spring pink C6.9 4X (2)
  • 401710 Spring blue C7.6 4X (2)
  • 401711 Spring purple C8.4 4X (2) = kit
  • 401712 Spring greenC9.5 4X (2)
  • 401713 Spring grey C10.9 4X (2)
  • 401714 Spring black C12 4X (2)
HARDEST

Build Tips

RCBuilds.net Build, tip guide and youtube video - http://www.rcbuilds.net/builds/onroa...nt-project-4x/
Heave + Roll Damper Build Tips
Pivot Ball Nut Tip

Setups



Setup Tips

Ride Height Adjustment
Adjusting tweak with roll damper
Usage of washer on lower arm
Tuning ARS


Option Parts List


Social Media

Facebook 4-X Group

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old 10-25-2016, 03:36 PM
  #31  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (53)
 
The Teacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,904
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

OVA, I thought the same thing about all the moving parts but after driving my car a few times I could see that it was actually very durable. The only issue I had was with the front belt popping off. I think it was because I didn't run the front brace....
The Teacher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:46 PM
  #32  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (80)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,922
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
OVA, I thought the same thing about all the moving parts but after driving my car a few times I could see that it was actually very durable. The only issue I had was with the front belt popping off. I think it was because I didn't run the front brace....
I have a question for you...I know there is a damper the move side to side..do you have to change the oil to slow the side motion or the mono shock slow it down?
thanks
OVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 PM
  #33  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (306)
 
nexxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 8,309
Trader Rating: 306 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Can we find out why? There was alot of good info in that thread that's now lost. However the Facebook group has a much better following for the 4x anyway...
You will have to contact site admin for that, I don't know any more than you do.
nexxus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:33 PM
  #34  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
I have a question for you...I know there is a damper the move side to side..do you have to change the oil to slow the side motion or the mono shock slow it down?
thanks
You can use thicker oil to slow the action or change for harder springs for more roll stiffness in the roll damper. Quite revolutionary IMO.
WagwanBumba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:34 PM
  #35  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
You will have to contact site admin for that, I don't know any more than you do.
And how might we do that?
WagwanBumba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:36 PM
  #36  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (80)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,922
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
You can use thicker oil to slow the action or change for harder springs for more roll stiffness in the roll damper. Quite revolutionary IMO.
That's was I thought ...So you have to take those damper assy part out to change the oil thickness every time when the track grip is high or low and hopefully those damper last a long time before need for rebuilt.....
OVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:44 PM
  #37  
Team EAM
iTrader: (79)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,282
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
That's was I thought ...So you have to take those damper assy part out to change the oil thickness every time when the track grip is high or low and hopefully those damper last a long time before need for rebuilt.....
One of my locals has one. Its not that hard to work on and do really. I was super surprised after looking it over last week.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 PM
  #38  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (80)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,922
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
One of my locals has one. Its not that hard to work on and do really. I was super surprised after looking it over last week.

EA
Hi Eric
Well I am going to wait and see how people like them...
OVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:02 PM
  #39  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
That's was I thought ...So you have to take those damper assy part out to change the oil thickness every time when the track grip is high or low and hopefully those damper last a long time before need for rebuilt.....
You do - but the car is actually very easy to work on, despite it's overengineered look.

For roll damper, it's actually designed so that it can be dropped in/out so it should be straight forward enough (when the spares become more available) to build sets of not only roll dampers but heave dampers with different oil thicknesses and springs in them that can be changed WAY more quickly than a spring or roll bar change on a more conventional chassis.

So far dampers are looking good!!

I did also forget to mention that Serpent do provide different pistons for the roll and heave dampers, blank, single and double holes but all setups so far seem to use the default single hole.
WagwanBumba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:56 AM
  #40  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (80)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,922
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
You do - but the car is actually very easy to work on, despite it's overengineered look.

For roll damper, it's actually designed so that it can be dropped in/out so it should be straight forward enough (when the spares become more available) to build sets of not only roll dampers but heave dampers with different oil thicknesses and springs in them that can be changed WAY more quickly than a spring or roll bar change on a more conventional chassis.

So far dampers are looking good!!

I did also forget to mention that Serpent do provide different pistons for the roll and heave dampers, blank, single and double holes but all setups so far seem to use the default single hole.
it is good to know...Thanks
OVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:45 AM
  #41  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 21
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
what was the reason of making option top deck,what is wrong with the box stock top deck?
by looking at this 4X I see a lot of small suspension movement parts. kinda remind me ,the more part you have the more thing can go wrong after you tap the pipes ..just my .02
your one had a top desk from the box?
Mind don't
dragontuneak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:28 PM
  #42  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (151)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lake Stevens , Wa
Posts: 2,917
Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)
Default

Yea they don't come with a top deck, that's an option part!
jeff jenkins sr is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:55 AM
  #43  
Tech Adept
 
Byronf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 118
Default

what are your Impressions on the track ??
Byronf1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:56 AM
  #44  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (25)
 
Thunderbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 756
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

I've only had one outing with mine, and it was pretty good constidering that I had no parts or spring options. The first thing that I noticed was that the car carried a lot of speed throught the corners. Durability seemed to be on par. Having been out of electric TC for about 1 1/2 years, I was able to take third place in a double A-main (one second,one third) event against some pretty good competition. Only gripe was that it was a little chubby in respects to ROAR's new lower min. weight. Since then, I have replaced most of the screws with Ti and aluminium. As of now, I'm sitting at 1357g
Thunderbunny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:22 PM
  #45  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (80)
 
jeff jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 4,076
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Drove one yesterday for a pack and was impressed with the car. Stock setup seems like it's only a couple of adjustments from being perfect but still very easy to drive and very predictable. I have decided to sell off my A800 to get me one of these now so looking forward to when I can get one on the track. Good work serpent , make a truly different car and actually have it work is impressive. At least in today's standards.
jeff jenkins is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service