R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Parallel battery pack question from a nitro guy (dont know nothin')

i'm working on an rc project and was wondering what the outcome would be if you were to wire 2 packs in parallel that had a different amount of cells?

for example, a 6 cell pack parallel to a 5 cell pack. i know the amp hour goes up when you join them in parallel with the same number of cells.

someone warn me before i blow myself up
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
Tech Master

Hi,

Here's the science...

When you sodler cells in parallel,you add up the capacity but Voltage remains the same. When you solder in series then you add the voltage but cpacity is the same...

Hope this helps.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:07 AM   #3
Tech Regular

yeah u can do that. i know a guy who wierd two 5 cell reciver packs to get more run time.

even though voltage remains the same... an added benifit is you get a bit more punch from your servos coz the voltage drop is not as great when using the servos.
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrothugg
i'm working on an rc project and was wondering what the outcome would be if you were to wire 2 packs in parallel that had a different amount of cells?
Do not do this. Basically it's the same as connecting the battery (5c) to the source with higher voltage (6c). It would cause current flowing from 6c pack to 5c pack (something like charging). Those packs won't work together like that.
You may only try playing with 2x5c packs - this would increase overall capacity if connected in parallel, but cells should be equally charged or discharged before connecting everything together.
Lokanas is offline   Reply With Quote