Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ASPHALT TYRE PREP IN THE UK >

ASPHALT TYRE PREP IN THE UK

ASPHALT TYRE PREP IN THE UK

Old 05-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ASPHALT TYRE PREP IN THE UK

I am trying to get a real handle on tyre prep, especially since I took up mod racing.

I have gleaned and developed this limited body of knowledge:

1. Use a truer and get rid of the centre mold ridge (I was stunned by the amount of difference that this made)
2. ever so lightly sand the tyre on the truer
3. clean the tyres with Wurth
4. put on solution and put it on for 30 mins at 50 - 60 degrees
5. between runs clean the tyres and repeat 4 per race

Now this appears rather bog standard and basic, and I am looking to improve and fine tune this, so my questions are as follows:

a. what are the relative merits of using Wurth, or another cleaning solution sutch as WD40; the tyre additive itself; Baby wipes???...;
b. what is the ratio of track temperature to tyre temperature?
c. what dictates the time you use the tyre warmers for?
d. any tips on elongating tyre life?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

As a UK racer myself, I've heard a few things at the nationals.

The reason I/we use Wurth as opposed to another brake cleaner is that I'm told it is the only one of its type that cleans without taking the oils out of the tyres. I wouldn't use WD40 as it leaves an oily residue on the tyres that acts as a lubricant.

I've been using the Muchmore tyre cleaner recently which seems to elongate the tyre life slightly. The tyres felt fresher after a similar number of runs.

I always heat the tyres to 65 degreesC in the UK up to an ambient temperature of about 17-18 degreesC, then reduce to 55 degreesC. I use kitchen roll in between the warmers and the tyres to avoid the tyres overheating in patches.

I usually put additive on the tyres 20-30mins before a run, and heat with 10mins to go. 2 mins before the race I wipe off the excess additive and put them back on the warmers until its time to race.

One other way I've found that gets another run from tyres is to swap the front left and right tyres over, and the rear left and right tyres. Depending on the circuit there will be a slight increase in wear on one side (usually the left) which causes the left tyres to grain slightly earlier. By swapping it evens it out to give a more constant grip/wear from left to right.

Just my thoughts on it. Let me know how it goes buddy!