Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 or Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

If you and your son race with any sort of competency in 2wd buggy class, you will do fine in F1. Go for it! You will save a ton of money right up front and get you to the track that much quicker and with less dough$
Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

One extra stupid question : I found f1 price very very expensive given number of parts. If you look at X-ray a X1 is usd 300 vs usd 500 for tc4. A x1 has 1/3 or 1/4 number of parts and technology complexity compared to touring cars...
How can we explain such high price ? Small serie ?
Even a f104 is very expensive compared to tt-02..
Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by julieng
Yes there are both categories and before racing the idea is to have fun my 10 years old kids so I will need 2 cars ... Also we already both race 2wd buggy.
Touring cars. F1 is fun and they look good, but anything less than medium-high grip and they can be a handful and frustrating to race.
TC's are easier to race wheel to wheel, and whilst a little more expensive to get going can be great fun.
I would never recommend an F1 to a newbie to on road as they can be a nightmare in their handling
Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Touring cars. F1 is fun and they look good, but anything less than medium-high grip and they can be a handful and frustrating to race.
TC's are easier to race wheel to wheel, and whilst a little more expensive to get going can be great fun.
I would never recommend an F1 to a newbie to on road as they can be a nightmare in their handling
+1

Especially the parts about recommend to newbies, best way to turn them off on onroad rc
Old 06-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
+1

Especially the parts about recommend to newbies, best way to turn them off on onroad rc
A group of F1 owners are going to try running local hobby store parking lot this weekend. They seem convinced that it's the best option to start interest. Despite fact that store doesn't plan to stock kits or parts.
Local track less then 20 miles away struggles to draw F1. Can't see this being any better.
Few suggested a touring car class. But where shot down. If I can get to store while running I'll try to get video.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

F1! For as long as I've owned an Xray X1 I haven't even changed the spur! F1 gets u much more diciplined too and teaches you about preparation before every race. I regret I didn't started out this way!
Old 10-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Im selling my F1 in favor of getting a newer Touring chassis. PM me if your still interested in getting an F1 car.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Having raced F1 and touring cars (VTA, USGT, and 17.5 sedan), my personal preference is for F1, hands down. The F1 cars look more realistic, they are way cheaper to build and race, and require much less maintenance. While they aren't necessarily "easier" to tune (pan cars have unique aspects to their tuning and setup), changes are much quicker and easier to make. Maintenance items such as diff rebuilds and bearing replacement are very easy and fast.

Sure, most TC classes are faster. However, the skill set required to drive a 2WD F1 car makes it much more of a driver's car. Don't let the open wheels scare you, the cars are very durable. I race my car probably 20-25 race days per year, and my current body shell is 4 years old and still looks great (only had to replace a few damaged decals along the way). Tires last 1-2 YEARS depending how much you race. You don't need top-line electronics to be fast. My motor and ESC are both second-hand, and I'm as fast as anyone else out there.

F1 gets my vote!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fox88gt

Sure, most TC classes are faster. However, the skill set required to drive a 2WD F1 car makes it much more of a driver's car.

F1 gets my vote!

If I had to choose only one, it would be f1. But since I don't....