R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2002, 12:54 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

24mm Schumacher wheels weigh a ton! Them are the heaviest set of wheels I have ever own. They are nice and sturdy though.

Anyone know if Cross's 24mm dish wheel is more stiffer than their 12 spoke or are they the same?

jwwu, I would opt for either RPM's, Schumacher's or Yokomo's if your constantly hitting boards. These wheels will not break, crack or warp on you as much as others. Another good wheel out there is the old 26mm Losi, much like Schumacher but alot lighter. If their new 24mm is the same material, that's gonna be a nice wheel. If you are bad about hitting the boards DONOT buy Orion's "soft" or "hards", Pro-lines, Cross's 12 spoke or Sorex's.

Last edited by webspinner; 11-12-2002 at 01:16 AM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:12 AM   #17
Tech Master

I have to agree with proud winner.

One thing I'm sure of is that the absolute worst rims you could ever find is the OFNA ones... Many horror stories. Even I tried some (no Idea why ) At least they were junk tires.

I can run Yoks into the wall and they won't crack or warp. Some guy nailed me at about 45-50 (race nitro) at the end of the straight and my yok's were one of the okay things I had left. Still use them... I only use them b/c they are cheap and very stiff and the most durable.

the prolines don't warp as easily as HPI's and they never break.

Kyoshos feel just like Yokomo's, but they haven't seen as much action.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:18 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Yeah OFNA's are worst than junk, I can't beleive someone would even make such a wheel, them new Endless wheels look to be the same material as the OFNA clears so I would be cautious of those also.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:19 AM   #19
Tech Master

cautious? stay clear at all costs!

I've heard 3 stories and they were 3 nightmares. If anything resembles them in anyway, I make sure put it on the highest shelf that I can reach so no poor soul has the trouble of purchasing them... they plain suck, and anything that looks anything like them sucks b/c the manufacturers were stupid enough to make them look like the OFNAs. that is how bad these are.

Onto good wheels....
Old 11-12-2002, 03:33 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default boiling vs baking

a bit off topic question - what do you guys do to remove tires from the rims? ive tried boiling before and they do work but it takes a while. i think i read somewhere that you can use an oven toaster to "bake" the rims until the tires come off. anyone tried this? how long should it be in the oven and at what temperature setting? how does this method compare to boiling? which is faster and has better results? thanks for any info
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:47 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

while not dishses, if your description of your driving skills are accurate it really wont matter.

HPI's BBS style Y-spoke rims are bulletproof. they dont warp or break, even in nitro.

the pro-line rims tend to warp i have found otherwise, they are great, but expensive
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:49 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Default Boiling rims/tires

Boil at a low simmer for 2-3 hours. Cool in water, then push down on the bead to break the seal. Boil more if needed.
Soaking in Acetone will dissolve the remaining CA.
This ONLY works with "Nylon" wheels. (HPI, Pro-Line, RPM, Etc.)

If you are NOT tring to save the tires. Carefully cut the tires off the rims with some body sissors. It will take less time to boil off. You may be able to reuse the inserts too.

Last edited by popsracer; 11-12-2002 at 09:52 AM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:31 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Sorex
Orion
The new HPI wheels make by HotBodies..?

Tamiya = Dog Sqeeze they tend to crack with the slightest touch
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 11:00 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Default HPI dish wheels

From experience,
HPI dish wheels are 1 hit wonders. Just the slightest side hit and the center breaks out.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default OFNA WHEELS

The OFNA dish wheels are junk, I had the centers spit out with just one hit, but to be fair it was a little chilly, like 90 degrees!!!!

HOWEVER I have had good luck with the OFNA split 6 spoke wheels, they seem to be tons more durable.

Nylon wheels- can be straightened after warping, by nature the material used in nylon wheels have a "memory" and if you boil them they will return to the form they where first molded as.......

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:08 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

What do you guys think of carbon fibre wheels?
I know they're stiff and light but I'd imagine they're brittle.

As for boiling wheels, no need to do it for so long, I've done it for 20mins and it's only still a little hard to break the super glue in the odd place, nothing a screw driver can't fix, or for a final clean up a sharp knife. Microwaving can work too but it stinks a lot more and doesn't work as well. Once dry the insirts were reusable too.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:14 PM   #27
Tech Master

ahem they about 9 dollars for a pair....

*AHHH*

First of all, they are too expensive, next, they are probably brittle as you point out and third... they are to expensive .

You can try 'em but I can't justify using such expensive rims when tires and inserts cost so much already.

Hpi y spokes... I've seen them warp...

Boiling, I'd rather start with new wheels. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:52 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

I race nitro and Yokomo Precisions are the best wheels Iíve ever tried. They are made of ABS. Do not use wheels made of polycarbonate/lexan. They break too easy. Nylon wheels bend. I used the RD Logics wheels (polycarbonate) and one of them broke off from the center going into a sharp turn after a chicane during a main. The wheel probably already had a crack from a previous crash (minor!!!), but still, a wheel should not break like that.

To remove tires off warped or cracked wheels, I use a Dremel and a cutting bit. Itís a lot of work, but itís worth the effort. RC racing isnít exactly a cheap hobby, as most of you already know, so if you have to break a sweat to save a set of tires and insertsÖgo for it.
toolmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:55 PM   #29
Tech Master

you mean that your wheel broke off when you did not even hit anything?
Irealize you hit something before, but it just kindof broke mid-corner?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:01 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Default Reusing wheels

Really, if you think about. Log the time that you've spent saving those old wheels. Then pay yourself minimum wage for doing it.
You could have bought 2 or 3 sets of new ones at that rate.

I boiled for a few years, but it just isn't worth the effort for me anymore to do so.