Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated F1 >

Team Associated F1

Like Tree331Likes

Team Associated F1

Old 01-12-2018, 07:28 AM
  #751  
Tech Fanatic
 
RobS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chatham, Ontario
Posts: 980
Default

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
Is it a secret? Has anybody tried anything besides kit set-ups? Battery forward? Servo forward? Battery inline?
One of our locals ran the forward servo option one week. But the next he had it back to the rear position. Didn't really find out the reason why though.
RobS is online now  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 AM
  #752  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chatham Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,029
Default

I was quite interested in this setup as well as I very nearly bought the car and I'm still in need of a new F1. I'm finding it very difficult to decide however. My dream F1 would be a Mugen assuming it's designed with the same forward thinking that went into the MTC1.
DavidNERODease is offline  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:20 AM
  #753  
Tech Master
iTrader: (39)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,297
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

I ran an inline battery with front mounted servo and loved the way it felt on Black carpet. It helped tone down the rear wheel lifting a bit.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated F1-24991438_10155285724120819_2613548550661852422_n.jpg  
1/4milecrazy likes this.
Jamie Hanson is offline  
Old 01-14-2018, 05:40 PM
  #754  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
1/4milecrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 1,187
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
I ran an inline battery with front mounted servo and loved the way it felt on Black carpet. It helped tone down the rear wheel lifting a bit.
Thats what I was wondering, I drove my friends car before buying mine and I really liked it but it needed to be "finessed" around the track, and watching his kid drive, it was lifting a rear tire every once in a while. Discussing that with someone else, I was worried about diffing out when a wheel lifts and he said that he runs a locked diff so lifting wasn't an issue. I drive heavy on the front end so lifting on corner entry was a concern to me. I bought all the parts to do servo forward but chickened out during the build because I could not find ANY info on it.

I really wish AE would give out some info on what they have planned when a car comes out. What are all the holes on the sides of the chassis for? Same with the B64D, lots of holes in the chassis with no explanation. I want options.
1/4milecrazy is offline  
Old 01-15-2018, 01:33 PM
  #755  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
Is it a secret? Has anybody tried anything besides kit set-ups? Battery forward? Servo forward? Battery inline?
Too much weight forward, too much steering. Servo forward works better on low grip. Inline battery makes a slight difference on very technical tracks. I like transverse and back as it helps keep the rear wheels down. As long as I get the damper lube right and glue the front tires, the car is hard to beat on black carpet. My car is more likely to pick up a front inside wheel if I come in too hot, then it might pick up a rear wheel. Once I see two wheels up it's either steer out of it or a triple spin somersault. The front tire glue cures most of that. Stiffer sidewalls on the tires would be nice.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 01-15-2018, 07:02 PM
  #756  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 52
Default

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Too much weight forward, too much steering. Servo forward works better on low grip. Inline battery makes a slight difference on very technical tracks. I like transverse and back as it helps keep the rear wheels down. As long as I get the damper lube right and glue the front tires, the car is hard to beat on black carpet. My car is more likely to pick up a front inside wheel if I come in too hot, then it might pick up a rear wheel. Once I see two wheels up it's either steer out of it or a triple spin somersault. The front tire glue cures most of that. Stiffer sidewalls on the tires would be nice.
Are you running the volantes or old the normal tires? I'm still debating if the volantes are actually faster for me.
quertreiber is offline  
Old 01-15-2018, 07:11 PM
  #757  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by quertreiber
Are you running the volantes or old the normal tires? I'm still debating if the volantes are actually faster for me.
CRC premounts.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM
  #758  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Parts car is now built, JConcepts Layla and some other gear to make an F1 LMP car to compete in a locked timing motor series. I bit the bullet and ordered the conversion kit from JConcepts. It should be here early next week. Something similar to F1, but full bodied to play around with.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 01-24-2018, 04:47 PM
  #759  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Adamska27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The land of cheese and beer
Posts: 919
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

New Exotek Racing adjustable front camber arm set and rear traction plate set for RC10F6 :: LiveRC.com - R/C Car News, Pictures, Videos, and More

So I don't even have an F6, I run the X1, but I saw this and I'm just wondering, has anyone made this style of front suspension work on a pan car that people are willing to attest to??

I don't like the link style front end like that. Been out of the loop for a while though (racin big cars) and it looks like the old reflex front end, and I never ever liked those cars, gimme a dynamic strut 10L over a reflex any day. Now I'm dating myself with that reference, but I'm not sure that changes. Old carpet and foams vs new carpet and rubber, I'm not sure traction levels are that much different than 2001.

But that's what I'm asking, I have seen plenty of people chase exotek f1 cars and it reminds me of chasing a link front ended pan car. Change camber and caster changes, I think there is weird camber gain and stuff I probably don't feel like figuring out. I have always seen guys chasing the two tie rod upper link cars. Tell me I'm wrong, it's cool.
Adamska27 is offline  
Old 01-24-2018, 05:02 PM
  #760  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
scirocco14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 693
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

The biggest advantage of the Exotek front arms is the ability to accurately set front camber and caster independently and get the settings EXACTLY where you want them. It's also super strong and can take massive abuse compared to the stock parts.

I've run this front end on a Tamiya F103, F104, Exotek F1R, F1R2, and F1R3. Works great.

Just my .$02.
Rick Vessell and liljohn1064 like this.
scirocco14 is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 08:37 AM
  #761  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,207
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

The exotek is way easier to set than a trinity front end since the angle of the 2 upper links is far greater. I have used the Extotek stuff a long time on a lot of cars even beyond Tamiya. He makes quality parts.
liljohn1064 and scirocco14 like this.
robk is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:25 AM
  #762  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Adamska27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The land of cheese and beer
Posts: 919
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by scirocco14
The biggest advantage of the Exotek front arms is the ability to accurately set front camber and caster independently and get the settings EXACTLY where you want them. It's also super strong and can take massive abuse compared to the stock parts.

I've run this front end on a Tamiya F103, F104, Exotek F1R, F1R2, and F1R3. Works great.

Just my .$02.
That's what I was wondering, thanks for your $.02 too rob

I will still prefer the non-link upper arms, but I'll remember some folks do like them when I'm working with one
Adamska27 is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 05:01 PM
  #763  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
KINGZJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Milwaukee,WISCONSIN
Posts: 2,335
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The biggest advantage to link front end is the ability to have reactive castor. I have a car with link front end (fenix) I have been playing with the reactive castor a lot and it is great. You don't loose high speed stability but you gain a ton of off power.

The exotek setup is nice but I think it would be better if they used a ball style kingpin. You could easily do this using awesomatix ball cups and Lunsford turnbuckles. You really wouldn't even need to purchase the exo kit.
Giorgio likes this.
KINGZJ is offline  
Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 PM
  #764  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Default

If using the Exotek upper suspension arms, how to set the caster then?
donatelli is offline  
Old 01-26-2018, 04:25 AM
  #765  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 339
Default

Originally Posted by KINGZJ
The biggest advantage to link front end is the ability to have reactive castor. I have a car with link front end (fenix) I have been playing with the reactive castor a lot and it is great. You don't loose high speed stability but you gain a ton of off power.

The exotek setup is nice but I think it would be better if they used a ball style kingpin. You could easily do this using awesomatix ball cups and Lunsford turnbuckles. You really wouldn't even need to purchase the exo kit.
You can achieve reactive caster even with stock F6 front end, just put different size washers under front and rear pivot balls.
robk likes this.
Fastfreddy74 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.