Like Tree488Likes

Tamiya TA07 pro

Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
I've always found these mid range tamiya cars curious.

I'm not sure what racing classes they address. The trf419 is obviously the higher end platform and the tt02, obviously the very basic, go have fun in the parking lot.

Where do all the TA series fit? They're very cool, but they don't appear intended for high end racing or parking lot bashing?

And they're not like the M class which can be their own class.

What is their r'aison d'etre?

(Reason for being / existence)
In the United States, popular racing classes where the TA series cars would be appropriate are: USGT, VTA, and Touring Car classes using 17.5 turn brushless motors or less.

In my opinion, Tamiya USA's product page gives an apt description of series' raison d'être:

These 1/10 scale mid-level and high performance 4WD touring cars feature FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) in its construction. The machines found in this series are also highly upgradeable, which allows hobbyists to grow with their car at their own pace.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's so great to hear that the TA07 has it's place in racing and can perform with the carbon/aluminum cars. Also, the driver has a lot to do with it too.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The main reason I like the tub-chassis cars is because I don't run the risk of destroying the chassis every time I hit a bump. There are no maintained tracks near me.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
I've always found these mid range tamiya cars curious.

I'm not sure what racing classes they address. The trf419 is obviously the higher end platform and the tt02, obviously the very basic, go have fun in the parking lot.

Where do all the TA series fit? They're very cool, but they don't appear intended for high end racing or parking lot bashing?

And they're not like the M class which can be their own class.

What is their r'aison d'etre?

(Reason for being / existence)
My impression is that Tamiya (like most Japanese RC companies), are very focused on their domestic market. A lot of their releases don't make sense to a western-hemisphere racer.

- Tamiya appeals to "hobbyists" first and foremost, who rank the opportunity to upgrade and personalise their cars higher than the need for them to win races.

- Tamiya Cup type racing seems to be much more common in Japan, so there is a defined class for tub-chassis cars which is missing in the West

There are still nutters around that enjoy making mid-range cars go fast (myself included).

As I get older and as my thumbs get slower, I get more pleasure from the cars than the racing - and Tamiya are always a pleasure to build and tune.
team green and EB Racer like this.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Tire choice1

Originally Posted by DGRacer
Just got the TA07 Pro. I'm an old racer with Gas Mugen 1/8th scale onroad and 1/10 scale. I live in Aliso Viejo and thought it would be fun to take my 6th grade boy and teach him how to drive. I don't want to go all out and buy Tekin/Reedy, but I do what something that won't be a turtle.

I need some good Motor/ESC combo options, also what tires should I run? I used to run foams but what I've been reading everyone runs slicks now.

I got a LTC 2.0 body for high downforce and turning.

Also, what battery to run, 7.4 V 2S Lipo ok?

Thanks
I run every weekend at Tamiya I also do the maintenance and cleaning and setting up the lap timer anyway tire choice is easy there are a variety of tires that works good at Tamiya but use the 36 rated tires because it is starting to get hot for summer Saturday the track temp got up to 140 so Salaris 36 works well, Sweep 36's work and so do Rush 36's and Sorex 36's. You can get all of them pre mounted which I like for around $30.
My name is Max so come on by if you have any questions.
Just my 2$
Old 05-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Max, hopefully I'll see you at the Tamiya track soon. I got the Sweep 36s, so excited to come out. I'm waiting on my battery.

What can you tell me about the stock Spur/Pinion that come with the TA07 Pro in the box? Should I replace with something else? What combo would you recommend?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Plastic or not, if the car is fast, it's fast. It's pretty funny how some people can't accept plastic cars can be fast with all the slop and flex. If you don't crash, it won't break. There have been many stories where some kids with "cheap" plastic cars ran circles around high end kits.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This car is very cool looking for sure. Any word or thoughts on whether to expect a trf or other upgraded version over the 07 pro?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:17 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I want to do a little USGT racing but in are area guys are rolling the big dollar cars and doing all the battery BS guys do in 17.5 racing which is holding me back from buying a TC and running again. I want to have fun and I was once very competitive in TC but now just want to have fun. Wondering how you guys are making out running the TA07 in USGT vs the high end stuff like the new Serpent, Schumacher and Awsomeatix cars. If I go the TA07 route I can save $500 or more.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
I want to do a little USGT racing but in are area guys are rolling the big dollar cars and doing all the battery BS guys do in 17.5 racing which is holding me back from buying a TC and running again. I want to have fun and I was once very competitive in TC but now just want to have fun. Wondering how you guys are making out running the TA07 in USGT vs the high end stuff like the new Serpent, Schumacher and Awsomeatix cars. If I go the TA07 route I can save $500 or more.
mine was .2 slower than my xray t4 with same electronics and body indoor on black carpet avg lap time usgt were 13.0
wyd likes this.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cpal
mine was .2 slower than my xray t4 with same electronics and body indoor on black carpet avg lap time usgt were 13.0
Is that with the newer reinforced plastics? I'm wondering if that will help with black carpet setups...
Old 05-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cpal
I've have my TA07 around 0.2 - 0.4 tenths per lap slower against carbon cars on local outdoor asphalt tracks (120'x40') in USGT.

My TA07 doesn't carry the same corner speed as the high-end TCs. I think the higher center of gravity of the TA07 slightly hinders its rotation in comparison with other cars.

But the car gives me confidence that I can overcome this with more track time and tuning.

Above all else, it still about setup, preparation, and not crashing.
wyd likes this.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

My 07 was on pace almost immediately with my 419. As far as other high end cars, its right in the mix. I win the A on occasions but almost always in the fight at the top against Awesomatix, Xray, AE cars. I am going to play with the carbon parts now that we have black carpet.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Whenever the tub vs. carbon debate comes up, I cast my mind back to when Yokomo switched from a carbon plate chassis to a tub chassis, because fashion said it was faster...

The only issues I have ever had with tubs is tweak - they are never quite as flat as a carbon chassis. They can be a bit heavier too.

But I can see no reason why a tub car couldn't compete - my old TA05 was a superb car.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Usually going to a tub car and upgrading will cost you more than buying a high end kit from the start. Unless you plan to keep every part stock, there won't be much cost advantage in the long run.

advantage of tub car for me is you don't have too many aluminum parts in the main structure that can bend and tweak versus a double deck car. I think they are more durable if you crash a lot.

Unless you run 13.5 or faster I found the disadvantage of tub car to be not as big if you got your setup down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.