Like Tree488Likes

Tamiya TA07 pro

Old 05-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
54689 TA07 Aluminum Ball Diff set.
You're right..haha.
Meant really that the kit comes with geardiffs...not with ball diffs. But good to have it as an option part
Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Hello Everyone,

The manual for the TA07 Pro is now available on our website http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/58636ml.pdf
Old 05-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Default Ta07

Tower has the TA07 listed as coming in late July . I can't wait to build this car! What do you guys think of using the front spool / rear ball diff with this car maybe in USGT or other 21.5 / 25.5 classes
Old 05-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Front spool and rear ball diff is pretty much the gold standard for touring car racing, so...sure, why not? What it will come down to is whether you can get a competitive gear ratio and weight distribution.

I'm curious to see how the serpentine belt drive works out. It seems to me that the rear diff will receive torque a split-second before the front diff does, because the belt will have to tighten around the rear diff pulley before it can start pulling on the front diff pulley, so it *might* be prone to oversteer from breaking the rear tires loose. An equal-length two-belt setup like the TA05 doesn't have this problem. I might be overestimating how much the belt will stretch under load, but on the other hand it *is* a very long belt for a 1:10-scale car.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer

I'm curious to see how the serpentine belt drive works out. It seems to me that the rear diff will receive torque a split-second before the front diff does, because the belt will have to tighten around the rear diff pulley before it can start pulling on the front diff pulley, so it *might* be prone to oversteer from breaking the rear tires loose. An equal-length two-belt setup like the TA05 doesn't have this problem. I might be overestimating how much the belt will stretch under load, but on the other hand it *is* a very long belt for a 1:10-scale car.
all current belt cars have the same (similar) potential since the rear belt is smaller/shorter..

i wouldnt worry about it..
Old 05-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Front spool and rear ball diff is pretty much the gold standard for touring car racing
Except that pretty much all modern premium race grade touring cars come with front spool and rear gear diff (and people are usually more likely to replace the spool with another gear diff (with extremely thick oil) than replacing the rear gear diff with a ball diff... )
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Was studying the manual now available on Tamiya USA and is left with mixed feelings about this car. The layout seems simpler than previously thought and diff accessibility seems on par with the excellent TA05. Drive train and design seems very nice too and the equal flex design is a huge leap in tub car design. I think TA07 will become the tub chassis of choice for TCS in the future unless there are some odd issues with the car.

However there are some details leaving me worried. The motor plate is attached with only 2 plastic L brackets and 2 screws on the chassis. The motor is a very heavy component and unless that plastic is very strong, I expect the motor mount to be flexing a lot. The upper bulkhead only have a single suspension upper link attachment point. I think at least two chamber link position should be offered. I guess at the rear end this is not a big issue since you can use 416 upright to get more attachment point options but in the front we are out of luck.

However, with the amount of new features in this car, I will give it a shot for this year's TCS
Old 05-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
However there are some details leaving me worried. The motor plate is attached with only 2 plastic L brackets and 2 screws on the chassis. The motor is a very heavy component and unless that plastic is very strong, I expect the motor mount to be flexing a lot.
gotta save something for future hop-ups/R version
something like (#54371) TA06 Aluminum Motor Mount Adapter

The upper bulkhead only have a single suspension upper link attachment point. I think at least two chamber link position should be offered. I guess at the rear end this is not a big issue since you can use 416 upright to get more attachment point options but in the front we are out of luck.
Maybe the future Alum bulkheads will have more or use a spacer system like 419x?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I count 29 bearings on the car
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OSherman
all current belt cars have the same (similar) potential since the rear belt is smaller/shorter..

i wouldnt worry about it..
It's not the same even with unequal-length belts, because the even though the front belt can absorb more tension before it starts to drive the front diff, the drive pulley can start applying tension to both belts at the same time. With the serpentine-belt setup, the drive pulley can't apply tension to the part of the belt driving the front diff until *after* it's started applying tension to the part of the belt driving the rear diff.

The effect may be insignificant in real life, but it does exist. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

However there are some details leaving me worried. The motor plate is attached with only 2 plastic L brackets and 2 screws on the chassis. The motor is a very heavy component and unless that plastic is very strong, I expect the motor mount to be flexing a lot. The upper bulkhead only have a single suspension upper link attachment point. I think at least two chamber link position should be offered. I guess at the rear end this is not a big issue since you can use 416 upright to get more attachment point options but in the front we are out of luck.
Tamiya's carbon-reinforced nylon is very, very stiff. I wouldn't worry about the motor mount flexing very much; even if it does flex a little bit, that won't really matter because the belt-drive allows for flex. It would be more of an issue with a shaft-driven car.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DirkW
Except that pretty much all modern premium race grade touring cars come with front spool and rear gear diff (and people are usually more likely to replace the spool with another gear diff (with extremely thick oil) than replacing the rear gear diff with a ball diff... )
That *is* the current trend, yes. However I wouldn't say it's replaced the front-spool/rear-ball-diff configuration as the "gold standard" until it's been abandoned for racing use for a long time. After all, the front-spool/rear-ball-diff configuration has been popular for racing for...what...two decades now? Maybe longer? Dual gear-diffs allow more tunability, but for casual racing, the older setup is much more "set-and-forget", making it one less thing to fiddle with on race day.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

No. The original "racing" standard was ball diffs front and rear from two decades ago. Then there were optional front one ways as well.

Then came front spools and rear ball diffs. Then front spools and rear gear diffs is the current trend.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

That *is* the current trend, yes. However I wouldn't say it's replaced the front-spool/rear-ball-diff configuration as the "gold standard" until it's been abandoned for racing use for a long time. After all, the front-spool/rear-ball-diff configuration has been popular for racing for...what...two decades now? Maybe longer? Dual gear-diffs allow more tunability, but for casual racing, the older setup is much more "set-and-forget", making it one less thing to fiddle with on race day.
So you'd continue calling something the "gold standard" until it has been abandoned for a long time? That in itself is contradictory to me. Besides:

Originally Posted by Dan
No. The original "racing" standard was ball diffs front and rear from two decades ago. Then there were optional front one ways as well.

Then came front spools and rear ball diffs. Then front spools and rear gear diffs is the current trend.
+1 on this. Front spool and rear ball diff was just a former trend (one of several) and is no way more relevant than "just the current trend".
Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Cool Pricing

Tower originally listed the car at $199.00 now they have it priced at $244.00 !!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.