Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
250+ degree temps, and the motor survived?? >

250+ degree temps, and the motor survived??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

250+ degree temps, and the motor survived??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 250+ degree temps, and the motor survived??

So I dropped a Speed Passion Reventon R and a V3 10.5t motor in my old TA02RS. The motor had the yellow timing board in, so it had about 35 degrees of timing. I had the fdr at 6.18, having dremeled out the pinion cover to allow the gearing to be set at 66/26. I then added in hybrid boost, setting it at 60%, with a 140k rpm limit.

The drive train survived with no problems, and besides some pretty significant torque steer on acceleration, it handled well too. Adding 50k oil to a front gear diff and a relatively loose ball diff in the rear helped the handling. So did the TRF shocks.

I hadn't fully charged the battery because I knew I wasn't going to spend too much time testing the setup. It was at about 8.1V. After a few minutes, I decided it was a successful test and picked the car up. My finger brushed the motor and immediately got burned, causing me to drop the car. When I temped it, the temp gun read 255.5 degrees at the center of the outside of the can!! I could smell burning electrical smells. The speedo's temp only read 123 degrees.

So I screwed a fan on over the motor, dropped the boost to 40% and the max rpm to 130k, and let it cool off. After about fifteen minutes, I went back out to drive the car again. It was still quite fast, with only a little less torque steer. After the second run, the temp was back over 200 degrees (and at least dropped rapidly, leaving the fan running for a few minutes).

I'm shocked the temperature of the motor got so high and it didn't annihilate itself. I probably did significantly shorten its life span though...