Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
I found a new Integy comm lathe on ebay. Heres a link to the one I found. What do you guys know about this one? What are your thoughts or past experiences with it. Integy Comm lathe on Ebay
Thanks for all your guys help. I really appriciate it. So you guys really like the Fantom, and Hudy. If i want a good lathe for a cheap price get a cobra. Ive noticed on the hudy lathes that they have these things that hold down the armature or something like that. and also noticed on the hudy lathes that they have bearings for the little slots.
Can you guys also list the different names of each lathe. Like the fantom, whats the name, or which hudy lathe do u recomend. There are different kinds of lathes each company makes and I get confused on which I would need and the big differences.
Thanks again.

Chris
My brother in law has one and is very satisfied with its quality..has had it for over a year. His only complant is the amount of space it takes up in his pit box.
-SHookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

Hey thanks Shookie for such a quick response. Would u still suggest me getting a diamond bit for that lathe if I get that one?

Chris

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Hey thanks Shookie for such a quick response. Would u still suggest me getting a diamond bit for that lathe if I get that one?

Chris
Chris,
Yes I would. He hasen't but he has bought two bits since he has had it.
I use a Hudy with a diamond bit & I am satisfied with the ultra smooth cuts I am getting.
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the same integy lathe and I am very happy with it. I haven't gotten a diamond bit, and I don't think I will, unless I can qualify for large-national type races (I'd also have to be able to afford to go to those as well).

-Frank
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I found a new Integy comm lathe on ebay. Heres a link to the one I found. What do you guys know about this one? What are your thoughts or past experiences with it. Integy Comm lathe on Ebay
Thanks for all your guys help. I really appriciate it. So you guys really like the Fantom, and Hudy. If i want a good lathe for a cheap price get a cobra. Ive noticed on the hudy lathes that they have these things that hold down the armature or something like that. and also noticed on the hudy lathes that they have bearings for the little slots.
Can you guys also list the different names of each lathe. Like the fantom, whats the name, or which hudy lathe do u recomend. There are different kinds of lathes each company makes and I get confused on which I would need and the big differences.
Thanks again.

Chris
I owned one of them integy auto cut lathes also. Had it for about a week and sold it. Pretty cool but the only drawback is that you have to adjust the stands or shim the armature if you cut different armatures of different manufacturers. Believe me you have to set up the stands perfect otherwise you get cone looking cuts and other problems. Tedious I say. The orion quick set is perfect because of its design in dealing with different armature lengths. I've owned 3 different lathes at one time and each have their pros and cons but overall I'd say get a lathe that gives you the adjustability similar to orion because you'll save a lot of time and hastle prepping the lathe just to cut a com.
calstarjig90j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't think the Integy lathe is difficult to set up. Just shim the arm, doesn't take much longer than adjusting the orion lathe. The blocks on my lathe came perfectly aligned with no conical cuts (I've used a micrometer to check the top of the comm versus the bottom).

-Frank
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:03 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Actually you can set up an armature on an orion lathe faster than integy's new auto cut lathe. Try cutting 10 or more different motors of different makes in one session and I bet you can cut on the orion much faster. Just pop em in adjust the platic stop and bam cut away. With the integy auto one you have to set up stops for the auto feature, maybe adjust the stands and maybe a couple shims here and there and holy smokes thats tedious. Not being mean to the integy lathe I just think it takes a long time and is tedious if you cut a bunch of motors at one time. That actually is the only reason I got rid of it. Anyways I guess its a matter of preference but just passing on some info that may help in some user cons and pros of the 3 lathes I've used.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

Like I posted earlier in this thread, I have the orion quick set lathe and it is great! Like calstarjig90j said, all you have to do is adjust the plastic adjuster and your ready to cut another size arm.

Orion lathe is underated in IMHO.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by picco007
Like I posted earlier in this thread, I have the orion quick set lathe and it is great! Like calstarjig90j said, all you have to do is adjust the plastic adjuster and your ready to cut another size arm.

Orion lathe is underated in IMHO.
Most definetly about your last statement. I actually had a hard time letting go my orion. But since my hudy has been with me a couple years, I ended up using some of the proceeds from my orion to upgrade my hudy's stand. I changed it to an adjustable fixture stand and it basically now functions similar to the orion. Pretty nifty option. Definetly does wonders to hudy lathes in respect to orion's quick set features.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #40
Tech Master

Did you get the axial support for your hudy lathe? That thing is awesome! If I needed another lathe I would seriously look at the Hudy tech lathe with the axial support. But I just bought the orion and I am starting to get the hang of it.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Sure did, got it recently and installed it. Brought new life to my hudy. No need to adjust the stands no more. When I saw the axial support on Ebay brand new I couldn't pass it up. I'll post a pic of it maybe later. Sure makes prep time to cut motors super easy now.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

Well I really only run one brand of motors and that is the EA stock motors. And I dont go cutting a bunch of differnt armatures at once. I just usuallly get the one i need cut and be done. So i dont really mind having to re-shiming it for a different motor. What are some fetures that the Integy auto lathe has that the Orion or Hudy doesnt have.
Thanks for all your guy's replies and help. Ive narrowed it down to the Hudy, Integy and Orion.

Chris

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

auto feature and 12 volt power input. That's pretty much it.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM   #44
Tech Master

I had the Hudy advanced lathe with the axial support. Then sold it and bought a fantom then sold the fantom and bought an orion lathe. All are great.

I just like changing lathes

I'll try to post a pic of mine too...........
Old 12-16-2005, 08:18 PM   #45
TEM
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstarjig90j
Sure did, got it recently and installed it. Brought new life to my hudy. No need to adjust the stands no more. When I saw the axial support on Ebay brand new I couldn't pass it up. I'll post a pic of it maybe later. Sure makes prep time to cut motors super easy now.
For those of us who don't have the axial support, You don't have to move the supports everytime.. just put motor shims or washers on the motor shaft to take out the slop. Works just fine...
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote