Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Designing my own Motor Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You need a way to transfer the chill from the one side of the peltier and the heat from the other, so two heatsinks are realy needed, one to cool the motor and one to remove heat from the peltier. Remember, the more heat the peltier creates the cooler the other side is.

You should be able to buy, off the shelf, a 12Vdc peltier of the size you need.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

qwerty- there is a pretty lengthy and detailed thread on this forum regarding home brewed coolers...run a search for the Team Pharriswheel thread.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

here is my qwerty-fan v1.10

i am now gonna work on my qwerty peltier fan

Last edited by qwerty; 12-16-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I made my own with the following stuff purchased in Sydney Australia and in Aussie dollars.

1) 2nd hand CPU heatsink with fan $10 or free
2) Peltier for Jaycar Electronics $20
3) Artic Silver Thermal Adhesive $20 (this thing is enough to make 5 units maybe more)
4) 540 heatsink or cooper tubing piece $5
5) wiring, connector, and shrink tubes $5

Can be view in Windsor or EC. Not as pretty as muchmorestuff but it works better
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

anyone know where to get some copper plates from 40x40mm??

also i read in the teampheris thread, that he stacked 3 of them together... how is this possible having one hot side and one cold side?

thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

My recommendation would be to just buy the Team Much More unless you want to do something like a science experiment. They can be had for $80.00 and they'll save you a lot of time and frustration.

I would look up member Teamphariswheel (his name is Jeff). He made about the best ones I'd ever seen. I would PM him or maybe he can chime in here. he's a super nice guy. He had a thread on this where I believe that this was discussed in detail. I would search for that very helpfull thread.

But the parts lists I have see on this thread seem light on parts to really build one correclty that will allow the peltier to last as long as possible. Remember once the peltier burns out, you have to throw the entire thing away, you cannot just replace the peltier (if you plan on using epoxy that is). Also remember the colder you can keep the hot side of the peltier, the colder the cold side will get.

-Fan - $10.00
-CPU Heatsink - $30-$40.00 for a good one
-Peltier - $15-$20.00
-Artic Siler Epoxy (the best) $15.00
-A device that will allow the unit to attach to the motor of the car - $2.00
-You also need a Copper plate that should be arounf 1/4" to help tranfer the cold from the peltier device to the Motor clamping device as you cannot/should not epoxy the motor clamping devise directly to the peltier - $5-$10.00
-$5-$10.00 for Misc. extra parts

If you add that stuff up to comes to more than the Team Much More Unit. You can probably buy all the stuff I mentioned for cheaper and you can buy just plain cheaper stuff but that kinda defeats the purpose. You can also build one that gets colder than the Team Much more unit but any colder is not necessary and in some cases too cold is bad for the motor.

I made one for a "science experiment" just to see if I could do it and it came out very nice. When all was said in done I had countless hours of research involved, a lot of time to find the parts and assembly of the unit and over $110.00 in parts.

It works awesome and gets the motor down to freezing in no time but it is big and bulky and the Team Much More unit is just more practicle. But at least I can say I did it.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by koabich
My recommendation would be to just buy the Team Much More unless you want to do something like a science experiment. They can be had for $80.00 and they'll save you a lot of time and frustration.
can you tell me where, cheapest i can find the MM unit is for $99
Old 12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

I also forgot to add that the best way to mount the fan is to have the air blow across the fins...not blowing away from the fins or blowing toward or into the fins of the heatsink.

Take the Team Much More unit. The fan is on top of the heatsink blowing the air directly into the heatsing. Ideally, you would want the fan mounted on the SIDE of the heatsing so that the air is blowing across the fins and not directly into them...does that makee sense? While this is always best, it's not always feasable and nor does it go well with packaging and hurts the looks of the unit.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by erock1331
I just rechecked my ebay account. Superior Hobbies was selling them for $84.00. They don't seen to have any listed right now on their website. They are either out of stock or they are no longer carring them.

I am not a big Team Much more fan at all but I purchased this unit and I must say that I like it a lot and use it ever time. Even at $100.00, I think that it is a worthy investment.

It's small and compact. It looks really slick and it WORKS!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

have had very mixed reviews on the MM cooler......

i like to try my hand at my own, and put in the strongest Peltier possible...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by erock1331

Try R/C Champ.

Much More Thermo electric motor cooler - Discount price 7840Yen

Thats $65.90 USD

If you want to order - email HERE
Old 12-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jack2
Try R/C Champ.

Much More Thermo electric motor cooler - Discount price 7840Yen

Thats $65.90 USD

If you want to order - email HERE

what is shipping to the states though ?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

this is my home made motor cooler!
Attached Thumbnails Designing my own Motor Cooler-motor-cooler.jpg  
Old 12-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by qwerty
have had very mixed reviews on the MM cooler......

i like to try my hand at my own, and put in the strongest Peltier possible...
What are the mixed review you've had? That sounds odd. I have never heard a complain about them.

Remember that using the stronger the peltier the larger the heat sink and fan you must use. It's not as simple as slapping a bunch of part together. If you cannot keep the hot side cool, you'll never get the cold side cold.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by koabich
What are the mixed review you've had? That sounds odd. I have never heard a complain about them.

Remember that using the stronger the peltier the larger the heat sink and fan you must use. It's not as simple as slapping a bunch of part together. If you cannot keep the hot side cool, you'll never get the cold side cold.

i read the last few comments, one guy said drop of only a few degrees for the MM cooler...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...hlight=peltier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.