Search

$%^%$^ONE WAYS$%^#$%

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default $%^%$^ONE WAYS$%^#$%

Hello everyone.

I own a Tamiya 415 equiped with a center oneway and a front oneway yay...

Heres my beef.

This is my first car with a front oneway, and i have been racing with it for about a month now with no problems.The car was dialed, it was so fast and the handeling was predictable!!!! Then one day i decided clean the oneway with motor spray, and I relubed it with Trinity Royal bearing oil.
Do da do the shit hit the fan..
The car rear was sooooo loose under acceleration when coming out of a corner. This has never happened before i never changed the setup.
I have been busting my head open figuring out why it is doing it? The tires arnt old the setup i have is exactly the same as the top driver i compete against and his car is planted everywhere, like what mine use to be.

He told me its my oneway causing all these problems. HELP!!!
How should i lube the oneway ? Grease? Oil? Dry? What?

Edward Pickering
Old 12-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Have you checked to see that the one way is grabbing under power.

If it is slipping under power for any reason, you would basically have rear wheel drive. The motor spray you used may have had some ill effect on the synthetic material that the torington bearing is comprised of. Just a possibility.

Or, one side is grabbing and the other isn't

Or, have you checked to make sure that you don't have a dog bone that is broken, or a wheel pin, or some other thing that would preclude one or both of the front wheels from getting power?

I would check those things.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Check all the mechanical things that pitcrew said and I know that you shouldn't use grease.

Serpent sells the proper oil for one-way bearings, not sure who else does but that's a start.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeffb
Check all the mechanical things that pitcrew said and I know that you shouldn't use grease.

Serpent sells the proper oil for one-way bearings, not sure who else does but that's a start.
Xray sells oneway lube,part# 309580..it does work.The problem is the trinity oil,clean it out and use a oil thats made for oneways.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Hello everyone.

I own a Tamiya 415 equiped with a center oneway and a front oneway yay...

Heres my beef.

This is my first car with a front oneway, and i have been racing with it for about a month now with no problems.The car was dialed, it was so fast and the handeling was predictable!!!! Then one day i decided clean the oneway with motor spray, and I relubed it with Trinity Royal bearing oil.
Do da do the shit hit the fan..
The car rear was sooooo loose under acceleration when coming out of a corner. This has never happened before i never changed the setup.
I have been busting my head open figuring out why it is doing it? The tires arnt old the setup i have is exactly the same as the top driver i compete against and his car is planted everywhere, like what mine use to be.

He told me its my oneway causing all these problems. HELP!!!
How should i lube the oneway ? Grease? Oil? Dry? What?

Edward Pickering
You need to use an oil without modifier in it (anti-friction additive), like 3 in 1 oil, or sewing machine oil.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
The car rear was sooooo loose under acceleration when coming out of a corner.

Edward Pickering
Pardon me, but this does not sound like a one way problem. It sounds like their is not enough weight being transfered to the rear wheels to keep the rear from coming out from behind. I don't know what your setup is on the car is, but you may want to soften the rear by going to light shock springs, lighter shock oil, or try different pistion for the shock. If you have the XXX Main book read what it says about being "loose on power", if not get it. It has helped me out with some of the problems I have had with my car.

Another thing is that not everybodies setup will work for you. Everyone drives differentso you may be able to use the fast guy setup as a foundation or starting point, but it may require some changes from there to get the car to handle the way you want it. This just what it sounds to me that might need to be looked at.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Tech Adept

the handling problem was only after the relubing, so it's gotta be the differential. like all rear wheel drive cars, the rear will come loose if throttle's not applied gradually
Old 12-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Did you put the diff back in the right way after working on it. Since the pully is in the middle, very easy to put it in the wrong way. Just like what I did. Thing spun like a top when I pulled out of corners

Another thing to check is whether the bearings in the one way are seated properly. If they are sticking out, they will not give you drive.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My guess is the lube on the one-way bearings.

Non one-way lube causes the roller bearings to slip against the retainers. So your one-way unit does not give you any drive to the front wheels.

This would have the effect of making your car RWD. Would also explain why your car is squirelly under power.
Degrease the oneway bearings and re-lube with a one-way oil. Machinery oil etc.

Should do the trick. (I hear non-rc oil is good. Nothing too slippery. Sewing machinery oil is often quoted. Cheaper too!)

Especially seeing as nothing else has changed on your car.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

it is the royal oil. a friend of mine used it on his oneway bearing in his gas cars 1st gear, and the thing would barely move when you applied the throttle, but after he cleaned the bearing and put serpent one way oil in the bearing is was back to normal. NOTE: trinity royal oil is not for one ways!
Old 12-12-2005, 04:26 AM
imr
Tech Adept

and oil that is especially for bearings (not one-ways), would that oil be good use?
I had a similar problem with my one-way, couldn't find out what the problem was.
The sewing machinery oil thing is worth trying.