Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Non-Oval  High Speed Open Tracks >

Non-Oval High Speed Open Tracks

Non-Oval High Speed Open Tracks

Old 12-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Default Non-Oval High Speed Open Tracks

The on-road 'road course' tracks are almost always designed to put as much racing surface into a given number of square feet as possible. This means they will most likely have several slow sharp turns.
Most road courses have 10-12 turns,

I am wondering if there are tracks which are pretty much all high speed turns and only 5 or 6 turns. Where you are almost on full throttle the whole race and a touring car would be competitive or superior to an oval car in the 1/10 scale.

I saw a picture of a banked high speed track called Little Taledega which was not oval but all high speed. I was thinking of something like this which maybe had another turn or two.

Also,
is there actually be any interest in this or do oval guys only want true ovals and road course guys want lots of twisty turns.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That track you mentioned is still oval. It is modeled after Talladega in Alabama. The extra "turn" as you called it on the front straight is called a "dog leg" I believe charlette aka lowes speeday has the same type of characteristics. Probably others too just having trouble visualizing them right now. If you want to run just high speed with a touring car run it oval. There are many track across the country that are using 4wd sedan based cars that way. Road course, IMO, is meant to be more than just wide open around the whole track. I think the track at Socal incorporates part of the banked oval into the sedan track. So there is a higher speed portion of the track. I welcome any additions or corrects to what I have said.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats part of the skill in getting around a road course is get all ur braking markers right and apexs through the turns. A lot of time can be made u[p under brakes particulary i they run a one-way. Where as on the oval if you spend a lot of the lap at full throttle or half throttle there is little chance for passing.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Tibshelf UK!!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Talking

lolololol a non oval track where you race oval cars on it but want to have a touring car beat the oval car on a road course that has 5 turns and you can run wide open on it with a touring car? holy snikes! please i want what you are taking! lololololol