R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #91
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
The biggest sticking point I see here is the battery thing, so I have a question: If you were in charge of ROAR, what would you about batteries?

Now think about it. One manufacturer came out with a cell that exceeded the dimensions for a sub-C cell. They were asked if they could make the cell meet the size spec. They did, and ROAR allowed cells produced before the change in competition.
Actually I dont recall anyone really bitching much about the GP3300's after they were grandfathered in. They were bitching about the chance of them not being legal.

Quote:
Now new cells are coming out that are one millimeter longer than previous. ROAR asked the racers for thier opinion if they wanted these cells to be legal.

Racers bitched.
Only one cell that has been submitted is 1mm longer than the other 2. ROAR has been petitioned by the one manufacture to change the rule to meet what IFMAR has changed too. Makes sense that ROAR should be the same as IFMAR but the industry standard for a Sub C cell is 43mm...why change it?

Quote:
One thing ROAR did in order to try and control costs in our hobby was to implement a policy of approving batteries once a year, trying to stave off the "cell of the week" problem.

Racers bitched.
The ONLY problem with the once a year rule for batteries is the time. It should NOT be in the middle of a season!! Right now guys who only run carpet have to buy new batteries at the start of the season and then again right in the middle of the season. Why not move it to the begining of carpet season or end of carpet season...Nothing to change to submission date and legalization date.

Just my thoughts.....even though there not worth much to most people.

EA

Last edited by EAMotorsports; 12-14-2005 at 08:02 PM.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
It figures. It would too much to ask for the ExCom to be in contact with each other regularly about important issues .
Again, an attempt to put me in my place. It amazes me that this method of communication probably works for you in other areas of the world.

Here, in the USA, with this female.... it does not.

I gave you the email addresses of those who can assist you. I suggest you attempt those first.

Yes, I know the battery situation. Yes, I know the answer. I am sorry I cannot come here and exclaim it at the top of my lungs. There are other considerations to follow before snooty Schumacher reps.

I will ensure those considerations are completed first, as I have been directed to by the Excomm.

Oh, and go ahead and file your complaints regarding my attitude here towards you. Its fine. I refuse to accept any more of your berating when just yesterday I sincerely extended my hand to help you.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #93
Tech Elite

oh, I hope I didn't surprise you with my response. Wouldn't want that.....

Respect is a two way street. You had mine.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:11 PM   #94
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Last edited by King Nitro; 12-14-2005 at 04:19 PM. Reason: N/A
King Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
The ONLY problem with the once a year rule for batteries is the time. It should NOT be in the middle of a season!!
EA
Eric, I do value your thoughts and only have to ask.. if the approval date was earlier or twice a year.. doesn't this cause a disadvantage to those events run prior versus those events run after the new cells get to be used?

One problem we have is we can't get the nationals completed prior to September 1 .... so everybody has the same rules all year long.

Just a thought...
Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoyote
Racers,

We can always help in some instance or another. I got out of racing over 10 years ago when I saw that our local track/club required a ROAR membership and didn't see anything coming from it. It seemed like I was paying my money for nothing. We never got any promotional help or encouragement. It never garunteed a race would be fair, or run right. It seemed more of a prestige thing with the racers, not something that actually helped promote the hobby. I'm sure a lot was up to the club director, but one of the racers should have stepped in and say "hold it!" If your club/track doesn't do enough, it's no one's fault but their's and the racers.

For a long time it seemed ROAR was in a balancing act with industry heads trying to control decisions to help their bottom lines and the racers trying to expand the hobby, with the racers loosing. Partly because who was on the board. I saw that and got out. We need Actual Racers in on these boards to help make decisions. And I'm not talking sponsored racers. Industry helps technology in racing. It's a BAD move to let Industry make Racing rules.
Maybe you should join NORRCA j/k
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #97
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

IMNSHO ROAR nees to:

1) Follow the lead of EFRA/FECMA/IFMAR first and foremost. I understand electronics industry standard and I understand that IFMAR may have made a mistake. The bottom line is if ROAR is going to be taken seriously in the international community and we need to be on the same playing field. As it stands now, we get viewed as some hillbilly rednecks by many of the international participants.

Did you realize that there are some events in Europe that spectators pay to see? Just think how cool it we be if we could legitimize our sport (not hobby) to that level.

2) Approve batteries more often in a fluid manner. Just think what a pickle we would be in if we approved bodies and other equipment once a year.<rhetorical>

3) Model operations and staff structuture a bit more like AMA http://www.modelaircraft.org/ I have never been a member but have lots of friends who fly and are members and they all have great things to say about it.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #98
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
It figures. It would too much to ask for the ExCom to be in contact with each other regularly about important issues .
If there is one thing I have learned about ROAR in the last 4 years it's that communication is no existant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Eric, I do value your thoughts and only have to ask.. if the approval date was earlier or twice a year.. doesn't this cause a disadvantage to those events run prior versus those events run after the new cells get to be used?

One problem we have is we can't get the nationals completed prior to September 1 .... so everybody has the same rules all year long.

Just a thought...

what difference does it make if Eric wins the Paved onroad nats with 3800's and I win the carpet oval nats with 4200's what I am saying is I don't see the disadvantage when you are talking about offroad buggies and trucks to touring cars and oval cars. I race Oval so I could car less what cell Joe dirt won the off road stock nats with. and as far as saying it isn't fair if the on road paved nats ran on 3800's and the onroad carpet ran on 4200's you talking about to different animals can't compair the too. doesn't matter.

this is so simple make the submital date 1 may then make the batteries come legal every sept 1st. I like the once of year deal.

Now Why all the suspense!!!!!!!!! What cells will be legal in 17 days???????
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
IMNSHO ROAR nees to:
2) Approve batteries more often in a fluid manner. Just think what a pickle we would be in if we approved bodies and other equipment once a year.<rhetorical>
Difference in level of investment and life cycle between batteries and bodies.

I agree with ROAR in the once a year approval of new cells, the other major world organizations also approve once a year. I think ROAR should change the submittal period to January through March with new cells being allowed in April. The offroad guys wont like this much but it will put the approval date of cells to be the same as the rest of the world and it would stop new cells from being legalized in the middle of the carpet season. Since the carpet onroad is a bigger market and offroad is less affected by new cell technologies, this would be my suggestion on the battery situation.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #100
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=davepull]this is so simple make the submital date 1 may then make the batteries come legal every sept 1st. I like the once of year deal. QUOTE]

but what about tracks that don't even have a winter season like FL or CA I know that the track in atlanta ran into november outdoor pavement. not everybody is on a 6 month in 6 month out schedule. just to keep some sanity at roar I would think jan 1st makes life easy.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:20 PM   #101
Tech Master

did you happen to see where I live? we can race pretty much year round. as long as there isn't a hurricane. i don't see how having the date sept 1st vs jan 1st makes a diffence to us. why I am in favor of a sept 1st is for all you poor sucks that get snow and have no choice but to race indoors. btw I would kill for a carpet track. back on subject touring cars are the major class in they have 2 seasons indoor and outdoor. and out of those 2 indoor has alot more major races thus making a sept 1st new cell approval date key
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #102
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why not go with 6 months prior to the event like what IFMAR does. This allows technology to keep going but then also puts a freeze so all the racers know what is legal and what is not legal. You could also do this with bodies and would eliminate finding out 2 weeks prior to an event that a new body is legal. Of course the biggest problem with this is not all the Nats are the same time in the year from year to year and sometimes it isn't until a few months before that you find out where the event is especially if it is early in the year.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Another Raffaelli???
keep trying Jim.........not gonna work.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Now that is funny!!!

Raffaelli thinks he's out... he's wrong...

doh
Old 12-14-2005, 06:49 PM   #105
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
IMNSHO ROAR nees to:

1) Follow the lead of EFRA/FECMA/IFMAR first and foremost.
Do I even have to mention brushless?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote