Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What stock motor brushes are you guys useing now? >

What stock motor brushes are you guys useing now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What stock motor brushes are you guys useing now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Putnam Greens and Blues all the way man. why have a pinto when you can have a vette!!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how can u say Putnams only last a few runs? mine last for 2 weeks...thats 2 practice days and two night of racing PER week...so thats about 35 runs
Old 12-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

C2, stock sedan and sometimes 12th scale I love Finish line
12th stock Parma RPM most of the time.
Ultrabird 4383 or Putnam X
Old 12-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've been really happy with F brushes thus far and in 1/12th stock I can get a lot of use out of them, 2 racedays and I don't see any performamce drop.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run 4 cell oval so i dont know how much my opinion matters, But i will say oval racers tend to be more picky on brushes and motors.

The all time best all around brush is going to be the reedy 767's..

I also like the xxx brushes. I have a pair in one of my motors, and i have prolly 50 runs on them and they are still going strong.. wel worth the money spent..

Now finishline brushes i was not a fan of.. I had brushes from batch one which in my opinion sucked.. i got some from batch two and they were better but not as good as i liked.. i went to a race a few eeks ago and got a few of the batch three from a guy who runs for them.. he showed me how he builds the motor with them, and i Love them now..

I love the putnam bule green combo.. i dont like they only last one run.. In my expirience i only use them at big races where i dont ind throwing them out after a run.. Ive tried everyhing and they just dont pull as hard after the first run..

If you motor is properly geard and not abused you should easily get 20 runs out of any brushes.. Brushes that dont last or go bad are over heated .. as long as the brush keeps its original color you can clean the face or re serrate and use them again.. I know a few 19 turn guys who still use the orignal orion brushes.. Im sure everyone knows they have not been made for years.. A buddy of mine has a set he has had in 4 19 turn motors.. the brushes have outlasted the motors life.. he takes care of them and they seem to get better and better..
Old 12-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayhuang
C2, stock sedan and sometimes 12th scale I love Finish line
12th stock Parma RPM most of the time.
Ultrabird 4383 or Putnam X
Ray,
How often do you change the brushes in your Ultrabird? Just curious....
Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 767

If you are racing stock i would go with the 767's they are great.
Tyler
Old 12-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Glowster21
Ray,
How often do you change the brushes in your Ultrabird? Just curious....

12th scale-two or three runs for club racing, but every run for a big race or if I am trying to really qualify well. For Sedan-one run unless I dont have time to cut the comm, then its two runs max. I time it, gear it high and it gets hot-so the brushes just cannot last.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by burbs
I run 4 cell oval so i dont know how much my opinion matters, But i will say oval racers tend to be more picky on brushes and motors.

The all time best all around brush is going to be the reedy 767's..

I also like the xxx brushes. I have a pair in one of my motors, and i have prolly 50 runs on them and they are still going strong.. wel worth the money spent..

Now finishline brushes i was not a fan of.. I had brushes from batch one which in my opinion sucked.. i got some from batch two and they were better but not as good as i liked.. i went to a race a few eeks ago and got a few of the batch three from a guy who runs for them.. he showed me how he builds the motor with them, and i Love them now..

I love the putnam bule green combo.. i dont like they only last one run.. In my expirience i only use them at big races where i dont ind throwing them out after a run.. Ive tried everyhing and they just dont pull as hard after the first run..

If you motor is properly geard and not abused you should easily get 20 runs out of any brushes.. Brushes that dont last or go bad are over heated .. as long as the brush keeps its original color you can clean the face or re serrate and use them again.. I know a few 19 turn guys who still use the orignal orion brushes.. Im sure everyone knows they have not been made for years.. A buddy of mine has a set he has had in 4 19 turn motors.. the brushes have outlasted the motors life.. he takes care of them and they seem to get better and better..
What orion brushes? The ones with the copper color shunt and the little - inside the 0 on the back of the brush?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I use 767's, Putnam polarized, and 766's, and sometimes old croutons. I usually have to trim the croutons to fit.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by mcc-bri
I have been away from racing for awhile and havnt been keeping up with everthing and now that i have started racing indoor stock touring car again i was woundering what brushes you guys are using that are giving you good performance. Last time i checked it was the F brush everyone was talking about, is this still the brush to use or is there better and where can i buy the f brush online or any outher new brush that i should try?

from the UK
F-lines (me) love them easy on comm by far )bottom to top end power range, any spring combo`s work
putnam grn/blue (hard on comm but produce most power) soft spring combo`s , not as many runs before sparkle goes)
767`s , need hard spring setup to work (very good allrounder mid to top end, this was used by a lot of tuners in the states,proberly still is)
4499 (underrated this brush, very good from bottom to mid range ,soft spring range

XXX
it`s a good brush , but no punch , big open tracks this one last`s for ages
but not a racing brush

if i were racing racing for tipppy top power order would be

F-lines
putnams
767`s

club racing
F-lines
xxx
putnam
Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

i forgot
then there is all the cutting,slotting,drilling,filing,chamfering to all these brush`s to suit track

i just put full face F-lines in & go

it depends what you want really

they are `ALL` good
Old 12-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
how can u say Putnams only last a few runs? mine last for 2 weeks...thats 2 practice days and two night of racing PER week...so thats about 35 runs
Sorry the lap times tell me how long they last...
I check to see if the times drop after each run..
Putnums are great brushes..I have told Todd this.
They just don't keep the times down as long as F brushes.
The F brushes give me 5 good runs before they fall of on run times.
The putnams last around 3 good runs.
But if I was at a large race I would definatly run the Putnams...Great power if they are timed correctly..
-SHookie <><
LAP TIMES NEVER LIE.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I am going to give you guys something to think about....Alot of you run your brushes until the serrations are gone and then say they are done. (like 2 runs maybe??) If you take those same brushes and keep them in your motors they will build MORE power. My motors are slower on the first couple runs because the serrations haven't been worn away yet. The more contact you get to the com the more power you will have. Sat at the track I pulled a motor out of my car because it had to be cleaned and I wanted to check the brush wear. I cleaned it up and put it on the much more motor master and it pulled 37600 RPM with and 8.5 ave amps. This motor has at least 10 runs on a set of 767's. Oh and by the way..my motor's ave. temp after coming off the track is 200 deg.

So take what Ive learned and throw it in the mix and you know what you have?

NOTHING!!!!!

Stock motors are wierd and everyone reacts differently to different brushes. I have one with 767's 1 with F's 1 with 4305's and 1 with E's and aside from the freak of nature that pulled 37k they are all about 32k.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
I am going to give you guys something to think about....Alot of you run your brushes until the serrations are gone and then say they are done. (like 2 runs maybe??) If you take those same brushes and keep them in your motors they will build MORE power. My motors are slower on the first couple runs because the serrations haven't been worn away yet. The more contact you get to the com the more power you will have. Sat at the track I pulled a motor out of my car because it had to be cleaned and I wanted to check the brush wear. I cleaned it up and put it on the much more motor master and it pulled 37600 RPM with and 8.5 ave amps. This motor has at least 10 runs on a set of 767's. Oh and by the way..my motor's ave. temp after coming off the track is 200 deg.

So take what Ive learned and throw it in the mix and you know what you have?

NOTHING!!!!!

Stock motors are wierd and everyone reacts differently to different brushes. I have one with 767's 1 with F's 1 with 4305's and 1 with E's and aside from the freak of nature that pulled 37k they are all about 32k.
SO true....
I too have had those freaks....
With weird combos too...
But on average is what I was refering too...
I try every type of brush with every motor...
Most times I get the best power on F brushes...for the longest time.
Also The serations....yes I know...
The reason why most people don't like the F Brushes is because the don't brake them in long enough.
I brake mine in for 5 minutes at 2 volts before I even put it in my car. Serations half gone by the first run.
-Shookie <><

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.