R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2005, 02:21 AM   #121

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Exactly: If you believe that all there is in Pan-Car tuning is tire selection, then you're obviously a TC guy, an Off-Road guy, or you suck at pan-cars. There's not nearly as much crap as a TC, but about 75% of the TC community looks up the fastest Team Driver's set-up for the car they run, or copies the set-up from someone at the track who runs their car.

Pan Car racing died because of BATTERIES. 12th scale and 10th scale pan were very battery hungry disciplines, and in the dark days before GP and IB, it was hard for the average guy to get good stuff. Now anybody can get good stuff.

10th scale pan is a little different. When it actually totally died off, the cars were so fast it was dangerous, at the last Worlds at which they were run (94 maybe) they absolutely DEMOLISHED the TC lap times. Someone who was there told me they were faster entering the straight than the TC's were at the end of it. Most mortals couldn't even get a car like that around a race track like most of the indoor tracks in this country.

TC's are great. I enjoy them, and they're a great on-road class for everybody. 12th scale isn't really everyone's cup of tea, and in a way that's good too. Imagine how long a race like the IIC would take if there were as many 12th scalers as TC's!
That's the whole fun of it: I run on an 1/8th scale outdoor track. The fastest I have seen a factory TC driver do around here was 16 seconds-flat. I did 15.5, with crap-batteries!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:45 AM   #122
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Lets just all run offroad and be happy!

J/k I race TC because its fun, granted I'm an offroad driver and rarely race TC so I guess it might get as "old" to me as someone who does it every weekend. Its a nice change from the bumps and jumps every once in a while, basically do what you want, do whats fun for you...thats the name of the game.

TK
Old 12-30-2005, 09:10 AM   #123
Tech Adept

I used to race carpet oval years ago... yawn.
If i am looking to get a "used" touring car to mess with... what brands, models should I search for?
Thanks...
Old 12-30-2005, 10:44 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
This is why I always eventually come back to TC. Because this is all anyone runs! Its a competative class. While 12th scale gets the racer in me because its more about having "those 3 adjustments just right" and more track time, TC gets the racer in me because of the competition

I wish I could compete at the local level with a TC3

Too true
if you cant be fast with a TC3 locally you cant be fast at all
Old 12-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #125
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Injection
I used to race carpet oval years ago... yawn.
If i am looking to get a "used" touring car to mess with... what brands, models should I search for?
Thanks...
since your in Milwaukee and will most likely race at S&N's trackside you can get an old Associated TC3 or Losi XXXS G+ and have people there get you on track in no time
Old 12-30-2005, 11:20 AM   #126
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Why race at all?

After comparing different classes and talking about the history of rc classes, this discussion always comes to the same conclusion: money and competition.

As for classes, I like touring cars more because they are more complicated than pan cars. There are more parts and more things to tinker with. In addition I prefer to race outdoors over racing indoors, and for the most part, outdoor on-road racing is touring cars.

On to money and competition. If you look at any kind of competition anywhere, many people will do whatever they can to win. You can't blame xray, associated, corally, hpi, tamiya or losi for trying to make money and releasing more expensive cars that racers will buy. They are a business, not a charity. If they can convince you that a new car every 6 months or every year is the ticket to winning, most racers will buy the new car. Put it this way, if I could guarantee you a win in a club race for $50, would you pay me? (No cheating involved, although for some it wouldn't matter.)

Now on to the prices. People have complained about rc prices for as long as there has been competition and hop ups. If you compare rc to other hobbies or sports or competition of any kind, how much does it really cost? I'll bet most working adults who race have far more time invested in the hobby, than they will ever have money invested. Rc is expensive for a kid who has to buy everything himself, but is it really expensive for an adult who has a decent job? Is $2,000 per year spent on the hobby too expensive (I'm simply making a point and understand that most racers spend less, some spend more.) Let's compare rc racing to other adult activities: How about a $400 golf club, or a $200 tennis racquet, or going to a bar after work and spending $20 on drinks, several times a week. (For golf, I'm not even counting greens fees, other equipment, balls, etc. (same for tennis))

I have been playing with and racing on and off for 15 years. Over time, I have come to appreciate rc racing more for what it is to me: a fun hobby and a distraction from real life. For a lot of people, this distraction is cheap even if they spend 2x what they now spend on the hobby. I personally don't spend anywhere near $2,000 per year on rc stuff, but I spend many times that with my time. I am not super competitive, and enjoy a win against a friend much more than a win against the track's fast driver (if I ever get one.)

Usually, the key to stop the whining about the cost involved in racing is to simply try to beat those who are at a similar level to you in terms of driving skill and money invested. You will have more fun, and will stop trying to beat the national level driver who laps you every race. AND if you can narrow the gap between yourself and that driver, you will have fun knowing that you are getting better.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #127
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs
I'll bet most working adults who race have far more time invested in the hobby, than they will ever have money invested
I seriously beg to differ

Then again, I race with the "NorCal" group so its all different...LOL
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #128
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
since your in Milwaukee and will most likely race at S&N's trackside you can get an old Associated TC3 or Losi XXXS G+ and have people there get you on track in no time
thanks for the info! Yes i used to race at trackside when they were in greendale. Maybe i should sell my RC10L and pick up a TC3...
I saw a bunch on eBay... also considering an old buggy or truck.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #129
Tech Addict

I havent read through this entire thread, and Im a young guy, so I may be out of league with this answer. I didnt grow up racing R/C, I have been competitive for about two years. And never once have I ever considered 1/12th scales for a few reasons. One being 1/12 scale is a very presice vehicle that demands very very good driving ability and need to be kept up with at all times. This as you probably know, is not a user friendly race envoirment. These cars are smaller, faster, quicker, thereofore are much more prone to high speed crashes, which in-turn costs money.
Besides this, I think the next problem is one that calls on R/C as a whole. The lack of attendence as of recent I think has a tremendous effect as to what classes are the most popularity. It is very hard (and unfair) to ask a new racer (the ultimate goal) to pick up a radio and new car (more money than they had hoped) and race with the top and best in the 1/12 pan car class. I think when we all work to get new poeple into it, and get them comfortable with the cars, you will get your wish and a more lively pan car class. Until then its going to be TC where a newbiew can make a RTR TC4 look like his mustang in the parking lot....have fun, and roll
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:25 AM   #130

That's why I'm preparing a few Pro10 cars with a good, driveable baseline setup for newbies to try. That way, they can give this remarkable class a serious and fair shot.
Pro10 cars are like 1/12th, just way more forgiving.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:30 AM   #131

I ran my narrow Pro10 at this indoor track yesterday:
http://www.megadrom-geilenkirchen.com/
There were some factory drivers out there practicing mod tc. With 2 year old-really worn out packs and a crappy 12turn motor I could keep up with fastest of them, at some points even gaining ground on them. Tyre wear was almost non-existant for me, my old and worn body just got a few cracks added to it.