R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We run 12 here in SLC on asphalt because we don't have a carpet track and it is pretty damn fun other then the tire wear issue. I honestly don't bother turning tires down for the asphalt does it for you and it is really noticeable if you have a layout that has say more right turns then left, your front tires tell you that. I have had days where I like running my 12 better then running my sedan but I won't give up either. In fact what I would give up is off road if someone would open a carpet track here in Salt Lake City!!
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:45 PM   #32
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW
I think the biggest problem I have with my 12th scale is tire maintenance. I seem to go through fronts like their's no tomorrow. With rubber tires on sedans, they last quite a while and I dont have to worry about chuncking or gearing up in responce to tire wear.

Spec classes only work if the racing organizer creates it. "Gentlemen" agreements don't work, it has to be organized.

-Frank
I've found that rubber tires aren't nearly as fast after 3 racedays, if you can avoid chunking tires 1/12th foams will last far longer than that.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:57 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too, wondered why there was such an appeal for 10th scale touring. These cars cost twice as much to get started, twice as much to upgrade (since there are twice as many parts) and twice as much to run each week.

12th scale cars cost half the price, go just as fast, use less cells, and are just as much fun. Not to mention they weigh a 1/3rd less so your tires last longer and there is less wear on the two gears.

When I was a teenager (nearly 20 years ago), there were a lot of younger drivers. Today, at age 32, I'm one of the youngest drivers at race nights!

I don't know about you, but I really don't enjoy getting beat by someone with less talent, but spent more money on his car. That's why I love 12th scale so much. There is not much you have to do to the car to be top notch. It comes down to focusing on setup, strategies, and good driving.

Long live pan cars!! They look cooler too!
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #34
Tech Master

The last bunch of guys who came on this thread see things the way I do. Thats kinda cool, around here I'm the one out of 100 that see things the way he does. I'm one of the younger racers (16) as well and my friend's have all caught a glimse of RC racetracks. They all comment how the hobby would appeal to them more if their jobs could cover the cost of RC & their girlfriends as well.

On a more comical note: They also noted "Its such a damn sausage fest..."

Question: Where can I get some adaptors to put my touring tires on a 10th scale pan car? I gotta use up those TC tires somehow
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:11 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run 1/10 and 1/12 pan cars as well as TC (and a whole lotta nitro). I love 1/10 pancar it's my second favorite class (1/8 on-road is #1 ) the cars are just point and shoot, almost no set-up, they are dirt cheap and are wicked fast! I am lucky though in my local club we have on any night we decide to run them 10 guys show up with 1/10 pan in hand. That being said I have to say there is something special about running TC it just makes me smile seeing my RDX fly around the track stuck like glue, maybe it's all the extra effort and setup that has to go into them that makes it special.
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:23 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After 1/10th pan reached critical mass in the late 1980's early 90's, it burned itself out. This occured mostly due to the class getting faster and faster. It was a horribly expensive game with the motor and battery wars going on then like they were. Were talking 1700SCE's here...

Touring was humbly kicked off as an alternative to the almost F-1 like 1/10 pan classes. The "father" of the class was the Tamiya TA01. Touring was supposed to be a "fun" class that ran scale sedan bodies in parking-lot racetracks. It was meant to put the fun back in RC with it's beginner-friendly 4wd handling.

Well...I honestly can't remember the last time I raced on a parking lot, however it's safe to say that touring has changed quite a bit and not for the better. I see it burning itself out by 2010, much like 1/10th pan because people will simply be sick of it.

What class will replace it??? Who knows, however my guess would be a fully independent suspension 2wd design. Perhaps with Lemans / GTP / LMP / CAN-AM type bodies. Sorta a cross-breed between a pan and TC.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 AM   #37
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
After 1/10th pan reached critical mass in the late 1980's early 90's, it burned itself out. This occured mostly due to the class getting faster and faster. It was a horribly expensive game with the motor and battery wars going on then like they were. Were talking 1700SCE's here...
Wow, Sounds just like the direction TC is going...

Too bad you predicted 2010, I'm already sick of it....

I think LiPo and Brushless are going to have a big say in the direction on-road racing goes. I can see some incredibly light and efficient vehicles comming alone as a result of these two innovations. I envision a car with 2wd, super easy to adjust (maybe a scaled-down pivot ball?) independent suspension with a shell looking kind of like the batmobile crossed with a touring car
Old 12-10-2005, 02:31 AM   #38
Tech Regular

Heres a nice simple answer for you, i race TC because i enjoy it. Why else would i do it?? It can be done cheaply if your willing to put time into becoming a good driver. As others have said, if you don't want to pay for the batteries/cars/motors maybe have a look at a local knitting club.

If you prefer to race pan cars go ahead and do it. Just remember that no-one throws money at racing touring cars because they have too, it's because they want too. Therefore your arguments are redundant.
pyrosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:51 AM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosian
If you prefer to race pan cars go ahead and do it. Just remember that no-one throws money at racing touring cars because they have too, it's because they want too.
I guess I have come to accept this. I am unsure why anyone whould enjoy TC racing as opposed to pan car racing. My theory is that there is much more money involved in TC and you guys with the money just can't resist having the latest and greatest stuff. By your "if you don't want to spend money, then take up knitting" logic I could say "if you want to throw money away, take up drugs" I believe this is bad for the hobby because there is no reguard for the younger up & comming drivers who can't afford to compete at the level their skill dictates. I guess this why we don't have many young up & comming drivers anymore.

I care about the future, I am the future. I don't like the way the hobby is going and I am speaking up. This is R/C RACING and I'm looking to preserve the RACING as opposed to the direction the hobby is going.

Going back to Soviet & my predicitons, heres a little sketch I made up of what I think an on-road electric RC vehicle's suspension will look like in 10 years. A scaled down pivot ball front end for the front of a 2wd car.
Attached Thumbnails
Why touring?-future-suspension-design.jpg  
Old 12-10-2005, 02:59 AM   #40
Tech Regular

bacuase 1:10 touring is mutch more like a real car and in my club thers a lot of race on low budget theres is only 5 persons maby that has as expensive equipment as i have
Rasmus TbEvo IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:13 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice

Why race 12th scale pan cars when you can run 10th scale pan cars? I never understood why that class died out, only to be replaced by a smaller, slower pan car. They cost the same as the 12th scale kits, and they're a hell of a lot faster. Im just curious.

I race touring cars, but I'm also wondering why these cars are creeping up towards the $500 mark. Seems kinda crazy to me, but If there is a demand, someone will supply, I guess.
jay272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Maybe TC racing is more apealing than pan cars because its got more of a feeling of racing a full scale car, its got the same type shocks, sway bars, things like that, and its as close to full scale racing as most can get. sure 400/500 dollars is a lot to pay for one, but if you compare this to other hobbies/sports ie bikeing, hunting, camping, fishing, skiing, on and on.....it actually comes in pretty low on the scale as far as money spent, the best part is, if you want to work at racing on a smaller budget, you can buy excellent equipment that is probably more hi tech than most of us can get full use of, for a fraction of what it originally cost from some one either leaving the sport, or upgrading to the newest thing out, you just need to decide what it gonna take for you to have fun, because if it isnt, you wont be in the hobby long. I started racing rc cars in 81 and I still enjoy it as much as anything I have ever done, its all about what you expect to get of racing that needs to control what you put in, just like any other hobby/sport
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #43
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I like racing touring but they are expensive to run but I spent a ton running pan cars and still have friends that run pan cars today and man they spend the money just like I do. Anytime the word racing is involved it is never cheap.

I ran some nitro dirt oval for a few months and that was cheap in the class that was the most popular around here was nitro truck oval. Mainly consists of GT's XXX-NT's Jato's and so on with stock a arms and one of two types of rubber street tires that all the track requie around this area. Ran it 7 weeks on the same tires and only money spent was my entry fee. Average class size was from 10 to 30 trucks each week.Entry fee is only 10 bucks. Now that was cheap racing. I ran the stock motor in my Jato and could keep up with all the motors out. Nice thing with the truck class too much HP just makes the trucks not work so well.

I guess overall anytime we say where racing everyone tries to go faster and along with better driving means alo buying faster motors, batts, tires, and newer cars. This is just the way this hobby has been since I started 22 years ago. If you race expect to spend money.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #44
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Hollowman

I like every Rc car but i don't have the money for all of them just do youre thing run 1:10 TC or 1:12 i run 1:10 TC and i if i see somewhone with a 1:12 pan car or a 1:8 offroad buggy i think whoa i want one to but i don't have the money or sometimes the skills and then i settle with my beautiful 1:10 TC .

Greetings Florian
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:07 AM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BONZAIII Send a message via Yahoo to BONZAIII

I'm sure your wife thinks the same thing about you BlackKat.Why can't all you guys look like Brad Pit?Why do I have to be married to this guy?Why does evrybody have to be different?

You see BlackKat not everybody feels the same as you do.Not everybody like the same thing.Everybody has different tastes.

If we all felt the same way as you do there would be no r/c racing.There would be no manufacturers because there would be no need to design new cars.Dude it's called competition.
BONZAIII is offline   Reply With Quote