R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Need Help Making a 19 Turn Motor

At our local track we are starting to run 19 turn spec, but I cannot get a 19 turn motor locally. I did find a 19 turn Chameleon armature and wanted to put it in a Monster Horsepower Stock can with bearings from a mod motor. When I was put the motor together it seemed very slow.

I am using new stock brushes (Reedy 767) and have shimmed the motor to reduce play. I have tried purple springs on both sides and tried green red spring combination.

I am assuming that this combination of a stock can and 19 turn armature should work. Has anybody done this in the past?

Is there anything that I am missing to get this motor to run faster?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mulligan Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

chamelon arm is a hemi wind.. meaning it runs in reverse polarity.. if you put in in a monster can your timing is negative 27 degrees. and it is retarded your motor is slow because its at -27 degrees.. did you notice you had to solder on the leads backwards so it will rotate in the right direction?

have your lhs order you a motor or you can put the chamelon arm in a mod can and adjust the timing that way.

to be "legal" you need to get a locked can 19t motor..then everythings matched up.. the don't cost much more than a stock motor..

where you located.. ? you can always order through an online hobby supplier like stormer, tower or bruckners.
Lou Decruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Regardless of its hemi wound or not.....as long as its spinning in the correct direction, it will be running at 24 degrees (not sure where you got 27) advance.....whoever made up this stupid myth about it retard timing is nuts....

The reason it runs backwards is that stock motors are crosswrapped, which requires the magnets to be in the can different than a modified motor....however, timing still is advanced or retarded in the same direction with the endbell, as its based on rotation, not the magnet configuration....

There are many 19t motors to choose from, we sell all of them at www.teambrood.com

Later EddieO
Old 12-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Thanks for the responses.

So I guess all I have to do is switch my pos and neg to get the proper armature rotation and I should be fine.

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I believe that the magnets in a monster stock are weaker than in a 19turn motor so your motor will be slower than a normal 19t.
Right Eddie O?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Switched the pos and neg and it made a huge difference. The motor is turning the right way and fast.

Thanks for all you help guys.

I know that it will slower than a 19T motor but it faster than a stock motor. Until I can get a 19T motor it will have to do.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 19t magnets are better.....the stock magnets are ppowerful enough, they just don't resist demagnetization as well, hence why they need to be rezapped....

Later EddieO