Like Tree52Likes

TT-01 Forum

Old 10-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Do you guys think the TEU-101BK can handle a modern 27 turn stock motor?
I tried it this past Saturday, with a TA-01 chassis @ TAMIYA track, and the speed controller overheated after a few laps, since I was running a high gear ratio (24t/66t). Need to run lower gear ratio obviously. The good thing about this electronic unit is that it's equipped with a heat protection mechanism. It worked again after cooling down. This speed controller is designed for use with a silver can or sport tuned motor. Just pay attention to the gearing and it should be okay, but the car will be slow. A motor temperature gauge will also be handy. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=45029
Old 10-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default ORC Amemiya SGC-7

Can anyone give feedback on the ORC Amemiya SGC-7 for TT01? Does it improve handling and steering?
Attached Thumbnails TT-01 Forum-top.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Does anyone have a set up sheet for the TT01? Thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Does anyone have a set up sheet for the TT01? Thanks.
A setup sheet? What are you racing your TT01 in? RCGT/Drifting? Maybe I can help, but I have never seen a setup sheet for a TT01.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 PM
MD
Tech Champion

I race my TT01 in a touring car class,, sometimes in a TT01 Spec Class, and sometimes in GT3. I also work with a school club and I want to get the kids to get into the habit of recording changes in their setups. I don't think a set up sheet exists either. I have contacted Tamiya and they don't have one. So, i threw it out there to see if anyone had one.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I race my TT01 in a touring car class,, sometimes in a TT01 Spec Class, and sometimes in GT3. I also work with a school club and I want to get the kids to get into the habit of recording changes in their setups. I don't think a set up sheet exists either. I have contacted Tamiya and they don't have one. So, i threw it out there to see if anyone had one.
Unfortunately I do not either. What I do is I look for a setup of a car somewhat comparable to the TT01 and I use the camber/droop/toe settings as well as shock oil and gearing recommendations. I have the TT01 3racing conversion kit so I get alot more options than just a regular TT01.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM
MD
Tech Champion

dfiantii - Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
MD,

Where in Illinois do you race in a spec TT01 class? I have been wanting to race the TT01 I have in a spec class since all it does is collect dust now that my son doesn't race spec in the TCS anymore. Talking to the guys that run the spec TT01 class at their tracks it sounds like fun.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
MD
Tech Champion

f1larry,
We raced TT01 Spec at Hobbytown in St. Charles this summer for a few races. Some of the guys dropped out and two of us continued to run and we ran with the TransAm cars. Since we didn't have the advantage of Doc's red dot motors we geared up and ran Traxxas stinger motors. It was fun and fast, not as fast as the TransAm guys,. The cars handled well and we didn't have any high priced chassises, electronics or batteries.
I volunteer time with the Hadley J.H. R/C Club in Glen Ellyn and myself and some parents ran the class last year and that was fun, but I don't know if we will have time this year.
I think it's very good inexpensive spec class. I would like to see it go in this area. The rules restrict the hop ups, tires and gearing. And, as I said previously, it's a cheap chassis.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Suspended

I like seeing this chassis still has a following, this kit can be use for drift, touring, even rally.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheech&chong
I like seeing this chassis still has a following, this kit can be use for drift, touring, even rally.
Last Saturday was our largest Senior Spec (TT01) turn out. We had 21 TT01s with an A,B and C Mains. The racing is so close and competitive, many of the racers from the other classes (1/12th, Stock and Vintage) are buying TT01s so they can participate.

Of course, Doc Mertes is the source of the horse power. We have 30 Red Dot Motors. Each racer "blindly" picks a motor for the day, then returns the motor at the end of the day.

I'm attaching a copy of our rules sheet for anyone interested in starting their own series.
Attached Thumbnails TT-01 Forum-senior-spec-racing-class-rules-small.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Your Senior Spec Class is a great idea! We tried to get it going this summer and it didn't take off. But, I would love to get it going in our area. I think this kind of thing is what the touring car class needs to revive it for racers with limited budgets. Because, we didn't have the advantage of Doc's motors the two of us that stuck with it went to the Traxxas Stinger motors and 25/55 gearing. We were put in heats with the VTA guys.I had a lot of fun and I broke one steering knuckle all sumer. You guys are doing a good thing!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Your Senior Spec Class is a great idea! We tried to get it going this summer and it didn't take off. But, I would love to get it going in our area. I think this kind of thing is what the touring car class needs to revive it for racers with limited budgets. Because, we didn't have the advantage of Doc's motors the two of us that stuck with it went to the Traxxas Stinger motors and 25/55 gearing. We were put in heats with the VTA guys.I had a lot of fun and I broke one steering knuckle all sumer. You guys are doing a good thing!

Yeah, we are fortunate to have Doc and Ray K as local racers. They are responsible for getting this series going.

Honestly though, having a Spec motor is the right way to go regardless of the motor brand. The tough part for you guys is convincing 5 or 6 other guys to get on board. A lot of new and seasoned racers look at the TT01 and think "cheap junk" because it doesn't have carbon fiber or alloy parts (Why is it that people feel they have to spend a whole lot of money to have fun???, Human nature???) Or they see the slop in the transmission and steering and immediately discount this chassis as a true race car.

In fact, racing is really about the competition, and the fun. Otherwise, there would not be people racing rider mowers, motorized bar stools or even Pine Wood Derby.

If you guys can afford it, build 2 or 3 "loaner" cars. Make the cars complete with electronics, batteries and an inexpensive radio. Offer these loaner cars for free to whoever shows up first (people like free stuff). Then have your race director setup a heat specifically for the TT01 Spec car. This is a great way to generate interest, and encourage newbees to invest in equipment to run in your Spec Class.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Geppetto - I agree with you when it comes to convincing others and the little respect they have for cars like the TT01. This summer we were placed in the VTA class and one of the VTA guys hit my TT01 as we entered a turn. He spun out and caught the curb. I had inside position and his comment was, "a Tamiya car broke me." I just laughed when laughed to myself. I was thinking, "I had position" and your expensive graphite car with lots of aluminum tapped the curb and you're out."
Thanks for the ideas. I hope we can get it going. I think one of our problems will be to attract guys who have gone from touring cars to off road trucks like the Slash. I think one of the reasons the Slash Spec Classes have been so successful is the price and it reminds us of why we liked r/c to begin with. I hope we can get the same thing going with the TT01's. Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just to add to the TT-01 praise list:
We run a spec tub chassis class out here in Southern California where my sub $100 TT-01 Enzo kit soundly beat the Cyclone S, OFNA, and other brands in the qualifiers and main this weekend. And that was with only bearings and the 28T/52T pinion/spur (4.83 FDR), otherwise the car was stock: stock speed control, friction shocks/springs, plastic drive shaft, and a non-magnetically enhanced unbroken in silver can right out of the box. The car was very well behaved.

Because the car is so durable and cheap (and a couple friends also have them if parts are needed) we’re practicing using the TT-01 as our car in an upcoming Enduro. More testing to take place, but “Team TT-01” may have some surprises in store for the carbon fiber beauties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.