Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving - Practice Theory

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:02 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Alex_kipper
Todd i agree with you that the more you practice, you get faster, and you get more knowledge of you car. But what bout me, i can only have access to the track once a week, and that is race night! i only get to run 1 pack for practice, and that is when the track is just laid out. Any ideas for me?
Unfortunately everyone has different situations so it makes it hard. A lot of people are saying that the Europeans are so fast right now. They are too a certain extent. I do not think Europe produces better drivers at all. European drivers have very limited access to the track at a major event. They may have 1 to 4 practice runs before they are qualifying. By doing this they learn how to get the most out of their cars sooner. Us as Americans have 3 days to get the most out of our car. My point is to you, learn how to get the most out of that single practice run and try to get yourself faster and more consistent on a weekly basis.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Here are some things I've complied (ignore references to jumps and off road and sub in on road car):

Practice with other cars as much as possible. Learn to follow slower cars without touching that car. Learn where you can pass on the track. Don’t try to pass over a jump, it’s too risky. Also practice by yourself until you can drive a smooth consistent line without going wide in the corner, land on the downside of every jump and then learn to do it traffic.

1: use the lap timer on your radio, write down the times after, compare your times to the last race times there; also concentrate on getting the lap times not as fast as possible, but as even as possible. At the fall series (off road) track a 24 was a great time but if your next lap was a 30, a guy turning a 26 and 26 would be faster.

2ractice from the drivers stand and marshall your own car, you'll get real tired of up going up and down the stairs if you are your own marshall (you'll be really motivated to not crash), plus running up and down can simulate race jitters.

Making changes to your car:
1: Do it half as much as you want to. If the car is different every time you drive it, you'll never get a feel for what it'll do at any given time or situation. You must adapt your driving style to fit the conditions, the car cannot be perfect everywhere. If it's good for 90% of the track don't go crazy trying to get that other 10% of the track just right. Getting that other 10% might just tune out some of the other 90%, and your back where you started or worse.

2: Keep it simple. Don't go out and buy the latest greatest Al/Ti/graphite/radio bit for your ride unless it's an absolute guarantee that it will improve your lap times or reliability. You'll save time and money better spent on practice and consumables like tires or motor brushes.

and:
Mental/Physical prep for race day:
1: no alcohol the night before
2: good sleep the night before
3: eat a good and/or filling breakfast
4: regulate your self chemically, take your prescriptions, eat enough so that you don't get low blood sugar, don't drink too much caffiene, if you smoke, get enough to not get fits but not so much that it slows you down
5: eat lunch
6: go to the bathroom before your mains
7: mentally prep for YOUR race, don't get into what others are doing, focus on your car and your race plan; visualize how the race will go, from the start to the middle where you'll deal with traffic or fight for positions, and then getting to the finish line
8: be happy knowing you did your best no matter where you finished
Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I found this game very usefull lately

http://www.virtualrc.com/default.aspx

you can practice and replay a run to check your line. sometimes fast people will email you a replay if you ask so you can compare lines.

you can get a adapter and use you regular radio and receiver.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayBee
That is EXACTLY why I bought a 12th scale
For me its the opposite. I can barely drive a TC but man, I can wheel a 12th scale around the track.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If anyone wants to test and improve their reaction times, I made a web page that will do just that. I have left this web page up for over 7 years and plan to keep it up forever so I can see if my reaction times change as I get older. So feel free to bookmark it, as it should be there for a long time.
http://www.webwonderland.com/reaction
(For a basis, the average person's reflex time is a quarter of a second. So if you get anything below 0.25 seconds, you have fast reflexes.)

Last edited by James35; 12-22-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cool test

Fast- .157
worst- .172
avg. - .1659999
Old 12-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RKeasler
Cool test

Fast- .157
worst- .172
avg. - .1659999
I'd hate to have to dual you, Old West style

Fast-.220
Worst-.281
AVG. .2464

I like test 2 better:

I scored a 34
Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

WHat does this mean, I way below average this sucks,

is their anything to do to make me better LOL
Old 12-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

never mind i just read the quic tip, I above average now LOL
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok that thing is addictive!

avg.-.166
best-.16
worst-.17

Now why can't I drive these damn little cars!

I tried the second one once and got a 30-but if I had a better mouse I could beat all you guys!

Great thread!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cmain
I found this game very usefull lately

http://www.virtualrc.com/default.aspx

you can practice and replay a run to check your line. sometimes fast people will email you a replay if you ask so you can compare lines.

you can get a adapter and use you regular radio and receiver.
That is the best game for those who don't get enough track time. It is ultra-realistic (after playing it re-volt feels as "rc-pacman"), you can connect your own radio using a special USB adapter (30$) and practice for hours without spending a penny on tires . The only problem is however they say it is free once you get into it you will buy new tracks and spend a hundred easily.

The electric On-road version is on its way - they say 2Q 06

I tried something couple of times which seemed to work for me (average joe level): I usually run stock but for practice I toss in a 19 turn. When I go back to stock for the race it feels like slow motion. I manage to keep much tighter lines - and also I dont wear off my stock motors
Old 12-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

But what do you do if you don't have a good enough graphics card?
-Josh
Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Tech Addict

Will that USB adapter let you use your radio with other games as well. Like NFS
Old 12-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That would be really freakin cool, to play a racing game with my radio.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

that reflex game is addictive haha!
average 0.13
best 0.11
worst 0.16

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.