R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   LRP VTec 4200 mAh cells! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/93037-lrp-vtec-4200-mah-cells.html)

erock1331 12-07-2005 07:19 AM

I think roar submission for new cells ends around September for the following year doesnt it?
I guess we are capped at 3800's for all of 2006.

Thank god, lol

HarshGuy 12-07-2005 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by erock1331
I think roar submission for new cells ends around September for the following year doesnt it?
I guess we are capped at 3800's for all of 2006.

Thank god, lol

Yep submission date is September for the following calander year

This is where the ROAR rule of submitting cells once a year makes sense. Anyone who is trying to be compeditive buys new cells every year anyways.
Yep, however issues arrise when club races and other big races allow for bigger cells during the year, racers go and buy those "latest and greatest", then have no "good new cells" to run for ROAR events ...not saying I have an answer, just stating a fact, this bit us in the but with the Region 12 paved regionals we held in September ...a lot of racers did not attend because the only cell they could use was the 3300 and they already had purchased 3660 - 3800's because of other large races/local club races, etc...

erock1331 12-07-2005 07:40 AM

Same thing kinda happened at the ROAR Oval paved nats as well.
Most allowed 3700-3800's for summer racing and when the nats hit in Oct most did not wanna buy new 3300 sticks.

I guess tracks are just gonna have to start making a pact to not allow the higher capacity cells. That's if the 3700 and 3800's are still available to buy.

erock1331 12-07-2005 07:41 AM

Anyone know if this is just a relabled IB cell ?
Mayby a new IB4200 ?

I saw some of LRP's 3800 cells and they looked identicle to the IB3800's

ChrisP 12-07-2005 08:24 AM

Is it possible that this is strictly to answer the proposed 44mm rule change??

if the rule DOES go to 44mm you KNOW that they manufacturers are going to pump out cells to meet it....

I'll stick with my IB3800's...they've already brought the IR down so low and Voltage up so high that they are more than enough battery for me...for now :D

Brian Anthony 12-07-2005 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisP
Is it possible that this is strictly to answer the proposed 44mm rule change??

if the rule DOES go to 44mm you KNOW that they manufacturers are going to pump out cells to meet it....

I'll stick with my IB3800's...they've already brought the IR down so low and Voltage up so high that they are more than enough battery for me...for now :D

Offically IFMAR is the only ons to go to the 44mm limit. ROAR is still deciding it seams. EFRA said they are going to stay at 43mm. Being the president of EFRA and IFMAR is now the same person I would be interesting to see if one sactioning body changes their rules.

I remember reading that the current IB with a length of 43mm will support up to 4500mAh. Imagine how much a 44mm cell would hold. I also believe the current 43mm GP3700 can support up to 4200mAh.

walterhenderson 12-07-2005 12:17 PM

Yes they are the are IB type cells. As are the epic cells.
As far as roar goes i have heard that they bumped up the size to 44mm. As I have also heard that with 44mm, the IB family of cells might be able to go as big as 4600mah(rated).

thecrow2k 12-07-2005 12:21 PM

Higher capacity cells is great for the support towards the cause of longer races which being the average club racer, I am all for.
However, I hope that these cells arent being brought up in capacity at the detremental effect of voltage and IR. Many racers are going to be running these and end up with maybe 150seconds of run time left in the cells, which frankly is a waste and for the extra cost of the higher capacity cells, it won't be worth it.

jeffb 12-07-2005 12:24 PM

Wow, pretty soon you will need an hour to FAST charge your packs. We will have to start our club races a little earlier in the day! :rolleyes:

nnick 12-07-2005 12:35 PM

Anyone knows if the size in increased to 44mm and hence the extra capacity??

Now let's how GP will respond :)

Nick

Danny/SMC 12-07-2005 12:43 PM

I will have some info to post regarding size and weight just waiting to make sure I can talk about it.

Scott S 12-07-2005 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jeffb
Wow, pretty soon you will need an hour to FAST charge your packs. We will have to start our club races a little earlier in the day! :rolleyes:

So true unfortunatly. My new IB's take 45min. Meanwhile my deadshorted 33's only take about 29 min :lol:

jeffb 12-07-2005 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by thecrow2k
Higher capacity cells is great for the support towards the cause of longer races which being the average club racer, I am all for.
However, I hope that these cells arent being brought up in capacity at the detremental effect of voltage and IR. Many racers are going to be running these and end up with maybe 150seconds of run time left in the cells, which frankly is a waste and for the extra cost of the higher capacity cells, it won't be worth it.

My guess is that any newer cell with higher capacity will not be lower in voltage as that will surely be a hard sell to the racer, if the voltage is actually lower then the only advantage might be in 8 min TC mod where you can select a faster motor and still make 8 mins.

In stock racing you at least finish at 5 min with a somewhat higher pack voltage, so if you are slowing down you know it's your motor not your batteries!

beerbarron 12-07-2005 02:18 PM

I like the label better than the one on the 3800's. It looks faster, so it must be faster too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MR JOLLY 12-07-2005 02:21 PM

can`t keep up with this

i just charged my EA IB3800 topped off @4567mah on a step charge

so i`m going to write 4200 on my cells with a felt tip pen

atleast i`ll have big no.`s on my cells :rolleyes: