R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default 700$...

i have 700$, and i obvously want a electric car, what car would you buy for 700$? i have a great understanding for them, but want the best of the best!
joey2*41/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Xray T2
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2*41/4
i have 700$, and i obvously want a electric car, what car would you buy for 700$? i have a great understanding for them, but want the best of the best!

700 for a race ready or a rolling chassis? 700 is not enough if you dont have the electroncis..
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

race ready, they cost that much? jeEEZ!

do i just go to www.xray.com to see where to get it? more descriptions would be neeto!
joey2*41/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to anthony390

FACTORY TEAM TC4
anthony390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2*41/4
race ready, they cost that much? jeEEZ!

do i just go to www.xray.com to see where to get it? more descriptions would be neeto!
If you seriously want best of the best, $700 is merely haft of it, not to mentiion you will also need tools to maintain your car and batteries.
If you interested in the Xray, you can go to www.teamxray.com .
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

I suggest do some research on the type of car you want and what you would like. Also check with your local hobby shop to see what parts are available to keep the car you choose running that way you don't have to wait days to have it shipped to you from an online company. Just my 0.02.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to nitrs4rcr2

joey2*

you got a PM from me!!!!!
nitrs4rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

find your local track and see what they run there.

Little price brake down.

Competition Rolling Chassis $280 + ($380 is what I paid)
Competition ESC $160 +
Competition FM Radio $200 +
Batteries $50 + (per pack)
Motors $35 for stock, and $60 for Mod
Charger $150 +
If you want a high end servo $100 + (KO,Airtronics,Futaba,etc...)

This doesn't include tires,bodies,a solderingg iron, and you'll probably want some tunning options like spring,shock oils,motor bruses,specialty tools,a set up board, etc......

Roly
Old 12-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

it dosent hit most of us that hard because most of the time all we need is the car, tires, body. but when you step back and really look at how much money you have in your car it will take your breath away
BrentL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Well first off if you plan on racing then set your budget at no more then $600. The best car is going to be the car that other drivers are running at your local track. This is because they can help you to set it up, w/out a well setup car you won't be going anywhere fast even if you just dropped $500 on a new decked out rolling chasis. Any esc that can handle up to a 10 turn motor should work out fine. You will need to find yourself a charger that can charge nimh battery packs and a good equalizing trey. Your cells will vary in voltage after being discharged many times. The equalizing trey will keep you from overcharging the individual cells which will ruin the nimh cells. Then you need a good stock motor and a motor lathe. You also need a radio with endpoint and trim adjustments. Then more then likely your local club races will include 3 heats and a main, thus you neeed 4 battery packs. Get matched packs and make sure they are assembled side by side. If they aren't assembled side by side the equalizer won't be able to do a thing. Then if you shop around online you can find yourself some older version matched nimh packs under $30 so you spend around 140 on the packs once you assemble them.All of the batteries and electronics to get into racing should set you back around $500. Now you would still need to buy yourself a car tires and ect. Now, if you were to look into nitro racing it is actualy not quite as expensive. You only have to drop about $50 on batteries and a charger instead of around $250. The items you will need excluding the chasis will include the following. Starter box, glow plug igniter and a battery for the box should set you back around $110. A decent engine, something along the lines of an o.s. cr-r., will be about $120. The faster the engine, the shorter its life and the harder it is to tune. Then a radio will set you back about $70. Of course you do need fuel, but those little .12s will give you a good 12hours of run time out of a gallon of fuel. Now you have around $275 to drop on a car. Your car won't be able to use the full power in an upper end motor unless there are huge 150 ft. straights on your track, yet something around 1 hp will keep up with anything on a tight track. Then you will have an extra $100 to spend on a-arms, shock rebuilds, fuel, and tires. My favorite way to clean up a nitro after a good day of racing is to remove the electronics and motor. Pick up some plugs so you can seal up the motor. Then spray down the motor and car with Simple Green, its an industrial strength nontoxic cleaner that will make your car cleaner then it was when you pulled it from the box. Then you hose it down. Shake it off, if you have an air compressor then blow off the car and spray a light coat of wd-40 over it. This will give it a nice shiny apearance and keep it from rusting. If you are going to spend this kind of money on a car then I would hope you take care of it. You can buy the simple green in concentrate form, about enough for 100+ washes for like $7 bucks at a home depot or lowes.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentL
it dosent hit most of us that hard because most of the time all we need is the car, tires, body. but when you step back and really look at how much money you have in your car it will take your breath away
I'm all too aware at how much $ is involved w/sedan racing.I'm looking for a new ride and I can't believe I have to spend $ 400 + and I still need to buy upgrades. Then in a year,or less, there will be a new model available which will make your car obsolete.Bottom line,it's getting way too expensive to race.
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandr91
I'm all too aware at how much $ is involved w/sedan racing.I'm looking for a new ride and I can't believe I have to spend $ 400 + and I still need to buy upgrades. Then in a year,or less, there will be a new model available which will make your car obsolete.Bottom line,it's getting way too expensive to race.

I have 4 cars. With all the batteries and equipment and tools, I have to say I am well over $4000.
And I consider that low since I am frugal about things.
I would say the initial cost of equipment to start off including a car puts you in the $1000-1500 range. That is if you plan on racing. However, then the price drops because after the initial cost, your only buying rollers. Unless you want to have equipment to run ALL your cars.
I think the mistake many new people make, myself incuded back in the day, is that you buy stuff you will never use or need.
Just buy the essentials and then buy stuff you NEED as you go along. This will save you big money in the long run. I have a pit box full of stuff that has me wondering, "why did I buy this?"
Case in point, A Matt Francis anodized Tire Balancer worth $50. WTF?!?!?
Oh, by the way: For Sale: 1 Anodized Tire Balancer.!
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

$400 isn't what it takes to get one. Go spend $100 on a used chasis that will suite your local tracks. The biggest differance between a xray tfk05 type car and a tc3 or xxx-s is that the newer car can be setup to bring its a-game on any track out there. A tc3 or xxx-s can't. Find out what locals run and pick something up. A properly setup car will turn laps with any other car at a local club race. As far as upgrades go there realy isn't a need for them. The car comes all decked out in carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium. You may need a spool or one way for certain cars, or a few differant pieces for setup. If you think 1/10scale sedans are expensive then try becoming a fan of Kyosho. and running 1/8th scale off road. Realy, the only class that doesn't pop out a new dominant car once a year is 1/10 off road.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
$400 isn't what it takes to get one. Go spend $100 on a used chasis that will suite your local tracks. The biggest differance between a xray tfk05 type car and a tc3 or xxx-s is that the newer car can be setup to bring its a-game on any track out there. A tc3 or xxx-s can't. Find out what locals run and pick something up. A properly setup car will turn laps with any other car at a local club race. As far as upgrades go there realy isn't a need for them. The car comes all decked out in carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium. You may need a spool or one way for certain cars, or a few differant pieces for setup. If you think 1/10scale sedans are expensive then try becoming a fan of Kyosho. and running 1/8th scale off road. Realy, the only class that doesn't pop out a new dominant car once a year is 1/10 off road.
i beg your pardon....a TC3 is just as competitive as any other car out on the market