R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 AM   #91
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
I covered this on page 3. If you don't come prepared - you didn't come to compete.

I agree with this.

But here is the draw back, back when the race length was increased from 4 to 5, the batteries could make it, people said those wo didn't get newer batteries could run less motor, what happened, the battery companies held back the better cells and put non-factory supported racers at a disadvantage till the batteries were no longer an issue(which took about 3 years). And the Factory drivers continued to run the same exact motors. This notion of people saying change gearing, run less motors, is not valid for a pro -vs- con positive reason to do it. It was proven back then that the factory drivers will not go any slower to try and save equipment because their budget is way more than a non-factory driver.

I still stand by my assumption that the majority of the people who want longer races at a NATIONAL level do not even race outside their OWN state. I am actually wondering how many that want longer races are actually ROAR? members
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #92
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

What is an additional minute in TC race going to do to the racers, what it is going to do to the overall program ?

Well there are many views on this issue, and the only real way to figure it out is start at the local club level, if racing 6 minutes is popular, then it will filter up. The R/C Racing community is very resistant to change, so asking a small group of racers that race at the national level to change to 6 minutes is not going to happen.

We all race within a set of parameters, and try to go fastest within that set. If the parameters change, then we try to go as fast as we can within that new set. Sometimes those changes cause us to go a little bit slower, sometimes we go faster, but we still RACE. It is the nature of the beast.

Our local track is going to try 6 minutes stock... we will see how it turns out.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #93
Tech Regular

I second Tim Potters comments.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #94
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This all just proves to me even more how much racing has become "us" and "them." It seems all those in favor of increasing race times are more interested in more racing and just plain having more fun. Those against it seem to have more monetary (?sp) interest in their win/loss record. I can understand that. It takes a lot to put someone in the A main at a large race. And I could really care less what it takes. I'm purely in this for the fun. But then, I guess the team guys and sponsors would probably say the same thing.

Either way this time issue goes, some will not be happy with it. Can't please everyone.
Lost Aggresiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #95
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guess I am scratching my head......sorry, in a 6 minute main, you will put additional wear and tear on your motor and batteries....

If you do....I make more money, as racers will be buying more stuff more often.....

And I am arguing to NOT increase the time......

The same people will be winning in the end......the extra minute will help someone catch up every once in a blue moon, and really that will only happen if they are simply that much better of a driver......on the national level.....you won't be making up a 4 second difference.....sorry, doesn't happen unless the people in front of you crash too.....which is very unlikely they all will....

Later EddieO
Old 12-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #96
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

4 min heats......let's go FASTER!!!!
SNIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:53 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatkat
Nitro record- 101.7 mph-Steve Pond-SNRS4-Runway
Electric record-111 mph-Cliff Lett-TC3-Oval

I'm no genius, but that looks like a 9.3 mph difference. I'd guess that given more research and time, that the outcome would be different.

Don't forget that the electric record was set using 2400's, and the motor tech of the day.

I'm sure it could be surpased now. Through in some 3800's or some of these new LiPo packs, and a really hot brushless...... 111 could easily be beat now.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:46 PM   #99
Suspended

Quite likely.
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:44 AM   #100
Tech Adept

If the RC community doesn't want to change to 6 min races...SO BE IT!!!
Why the hell did they bother making better batteries,cars,tires motors etc.
I feel this is the real waste of our money.We spend our money to upgrade on equipment that can handle the extra time but... have no means to exhibit the true potential of us as drivers and equipment.
Sure we can do it on a local level but what's the point in that??
Twin-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:55 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Wasn't the problem with Cliff going faster is that the tires were coming apart?
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #102
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Kyle
If the RC community doesn't want to change to 6 min races...SO BE IT!!!
Why the hell did they bother making better batteries,cars,tires motors etc.
I feel this is the real waste of our money.We spend our money to upgrade on equipment that can handle the extra time but... have no means to exhibit the true potential of us as drivers and equipment.
Sure we can do it on a local level but what's the point in that??
Because the added mah lets the MOD guys run lower turns and still make runtime hense making the cars faster. I still have seen some 3700's dump in a MOD race. That is why.
IF you run stock and or 19T than you can stay with the 3300's and 3000's heck they still have really good punch. But I like the new cells for there punch throughout the entire discharge curve, regardless if it is a short discharge curve or a long one.

But I do think that when Lipo's take over, which I believe they will as soon as they become more user friendly and loose there stigma that they blow up easy, Heck no I have two Lipo;s already...Haven't had a problem yet. But the stigma is still holding back the general population from getting into them.
Soon though it will happen. As soon as Brushless motors can be equal to a 6 and lipo's are everywhere..You will see race times come up.
Heck I hope so. I think Off ROad is where it will be seen though. Too many die hards in On Road that still love brushed motors. I for one love brushless in off road...No worries about dirt and rocks messing you up halfway through a run and No Maintance.
But we will have to wait and see.
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #103
Tech Regular

We just had a local big race here (SRS) offroad and there were also a couple of gas classes. The gas guys had 20 minute mains. What a gas

20 minutes on the track in 1 race. Woooohooooo where is my gas truck, honey where did you store my xxxnt ad edition?

After the race I tested a Novak GTB brushless in a XXXT, Oh baby was that nice. I think Novak has hit a home run compared to the original brushless sport. That motor /esc was everything and more than any mod I have ever run in that truck. I'm not a mod expert but the GTB is a blast and very contollable.

I suggest a new class- Brushless truck/buggy with 5 minute qualifiers and a 10 minute main.

Later this week testing TRF415/mod/carpet/ brushless.

L8r
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #104
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
Wasn't the problem with Cliff going faster is that the tires were coming apart?

I think so. Steve coulda done more too, but he had stability issues.
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #105
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
I suggest a new class- Brushless truck/buggy with 5 minute qualifiers and a 10 minute main.
L8r
Racers Haven in Bakersfield is already running an 8 minute 19 turn truck class and it seems to be working,They also do 6 minute 19 turn TC class.But with these longer race times you will see your maintenance costs go way up and most tracks will go from 3 heats to 2 heats so everyone can get out on time.