R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #61
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

japanese nationals are run on 23turns 8 mins (at least one catgory).. why not switch standard to that ? Batts should have no pbs handling it..
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #62
Tech Apprentice

Default Time

An extra minute doesn't add that much time to the races. Even the big ones. Do the math. Cleveland this year had 51 heats. Around half were TC heats. An extra minute would add 25 min per round. 4 rounds...extra 1 1/2 hours for the entire 4 rounds. This time could be made up over the two days. The mains on Sunday...We spent ALOT of time between some rounds. The extra 25 min. would not be an issue.

Everyone TUNES to 5 mins.

Everyone KNOWS HOW TO TUNE to 6 min.

6 Min. would not be a problem!!
Twin 1 Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What about...

I like the idea of longer TC races. but I can see the points made against it. I beileve at most big races they run a triple A main format. The idea was first introduced because no one wanted a national championship decided in 5 minutes. But I think the current format of triple A's sucks, win the first two and you don't have to run the third, what kind of crap is that? Add to that most nitro racers are always whining about longer mains.

So what about this? Keep the qualifiers at 5 minutes, but make the A main 8 minutes, or maybe even 10 minutes. This would put a premium not only on setup and skills, but race management as well. If the guys in the A are really that good, the length of the main shouldn't matter.

Back during the brief life of F1, those races were 10 minutes, and that was with 2000 cells.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin 1 Kevin
An extra minute doesn't add that much time to the races. Even the big ones. Do the math. Cleveland this year had 51 heats. Around half were TC heats. An extra minute would add 25 min per round. 4 rounds...extra 1 1/2 hours for the entire 4 rounds. This time could be made up over the two days. The mains on Sunday...We spent ALOT of time between some rounds. The extra 25 min. would not be an issue.

Everyone TUNES to 5 mins.

Everyone KNOWS HOW TO TUNE to 6 min.

6 Min. would not be a problem!!
I was just going to post the same thing, but you beat me to it!
The only concrete argument AGAINST changing races to 6 minutes is that it will make long race days even longer, but you've just proven it won't be that big of a difference! Even if changing to 6min races DID take longer to run a race day, I know I'd choose staying longer in the end to have 6min races over finishing a little earlier with 5min races. I'm not sure why people are against this, IT WAS CHANGED FROM 4min TO 5min ONCE BEFORE. WHY CAN'T IT BE DONE AGAIN?? Longer races = more track time. Track time = fun. You do the math.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

jiml,

So...what your saying is to eliminate modified racing altogether? All the top drivers in the world can putt around with 23 turn motors, great idea!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #66
Tech Addict

NO he's not saying eliminate mod but make them run longer. This would stop peopls using 6&7 turn motors and wind up so hard that they only last 5 minutes before a rebuild but to make them run 6-8 minutes. They have to run a higher wind motor like a 9turn+ and adjust the timing and gearing to suit. There would less maintenance on the motors because there are being pushed as hard.
Superkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #67
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkarter
NO he's not saying eliminate mod but make them run longer. This would stop peopls using 6&7 turn motors and wind up so hard that they only last 5 minutes before a rebuild but to make them run 6-8 minutes. They have to run a higher wind motor like a 9turn+ and adjust the timing and gearing to suit. There would less maintenance on the motors because there are being pushed as hard.
Why not make everyone slow down and use 540 motors and 1500mah packs cause then we can run 7 minute races really slow so no ones cars get wrecked and then everyone has a fair chance....
COME ON>>>>>
The reason why I got into this hobby is because of the insane speeds.
I like the 6-7T races they are more interesting and it takes more than luck to win...Talent is real in those classes...
If you want to race longer races at your club go for it..
I have tried serveral times and I get the same resonce...the new guys don't have the money to by the high mah cells....
I like 5 minute races my packs are all discharge curve trained to that amount of time...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The main reason a person does not run the 3rd race in a triple a main format if he won the first two, is to prevent hacking to up the position of teammates.....

John Doe wins races 1 and 2....and then proceeds to take out his teammates main competiton during the race, allowing his teammates to secure better finishing positions....

It's actually a ROAR rule that they can't run the third main....

In the end, yer asking everyone to go SLOWER so they can run longer.....nobody wants to go slower....we are racers, we want to go FASTER....

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #69
Tech Addict

Don't give me that cr#p sure running a 6& 7turn motors for five minutes takes real concentration. But it would take even more concentration and skill to run consistantly for 6 or more minutes at almost the same speed. We had a guy run 6mins mains for 19 turn here and some guys with mod motors decided to join us for the night they ran for 6 mins with 7 turns no problems
Superkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #70
Tech Champion

Eddie, you mean there's a ROAR rule you like???

Shookie, if you're in this hobby only for insane speed, why aren't you running nitro?

Touring car has always been 5 minutes, but off road used to be 4. You could also run 7 cells in off road mod.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #71
Tech Elite

There are a couple I like :P

Electric in pretty much all scales its in is faster than Nitro.....nitro needs to be a on HUGE tracks to even begin to show its potential.....

Touring car when I started racing it in 1998 was 5 minutes for stock and 4 minutes for mod....

We used to 7 cells in modified offroad, until they figured out that you could go just as fast with 6 cells and it was easier to make runtime, as 6 cells discharge at a slower rate than 7.....

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #72
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Why not make everyone slow down and use 540 motors and 1500mah packs cause then we can run 7 minute races really slow so no ones cars get wrecked and then everyone has a fair chance....
COME ON>>>>>
The reason why I got into this hobby is because of the insane speeds.
I like the 6-7T races they are more interesting and it takes more than luck to win...Talent is real in those classes...
If you want to race longer races at your club go for it..
I have tried serveral times and I get the same resonce...the new guys don't have the money to by the high mah cells....
I like 5 minute races my packs are all discharge curve trained to that amount of time...
-Shookie <><

Typical bible-thumper; his way or no way. Give me a break.
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #73
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
There are a couple I like :P

Electric in pretty much all scales its in is faster than Nitro.....nitro needs to be a on HUGE tracks to even begin to show its potential.....

Touring car when I started racing it in 1998 was 5 minutes for stock and 4 minutes for mod....

We used to 7 cells in modified offroad, until they figured out that you could go just as fast with 6 cells and it was easier to make runtime, as 6 cells discharge at a slower rate than 7.....

Later EddieO

Electric is faster than nitro? Pass that joint over here! Seriously though, you're comparing apples and oranges. Electric motors, most notably D/C motors, have been renowned for their torque and 100% power from 0 rpm to full speed. Not coincidentally, that top speed is lower than a two stroke engine. Two strokers are characterised by their crazy rpm's, and fast revving. They, however, are not known for torque. Apples and oranges.

BTW, I do know that I am saying this to a tuner.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Fastest two RC cars ever.....electric........Steve Pond I think tried to break the record with a gas car....he was almost 15 miles an hour off....

Come to my offroad track, 120x60 indoors.....4wd electric is always faster than 1/8th scale gas.....mod truck is always faster than gas truck....

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2005, 05:36 PM   #75
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Fastest two RC cars ever.....electric........Steve Pond I think tried to break the record with a gas car....he was almost 15 miles an hour off....

Come to my offroad track, 120x60 indoors.....4wd electric is always faster than 1/8th scale gas.....mod truck is always faster than gas truck....

Later EddieO

Understood, but you said it yourself, "nitro needs to be on a HUGE track to even begin to show its potential....."

A track suited to the all-out performance of a nitro vehicle will be grossly unsuited to a similarly-sized electric.

Apples and oranges.