R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #46
Tech Adept

After reading everyone's reply,I still see no good reason why TC races can't be extended to 6 min.
IT'S ONLY A MINUTE PEOPLE!!!
The argument about the extra time is hard on equipment...common.
We beat the s--t out of our stuff already(over gearing etc).That doesn't fly with me.
Besides...If people are worried about there equipment,then we should drop the MOD class!!!
People would adjust to keep there motors alive.
If TC races were 4 min before then lengthened to 5min...people adjusted.
I don't see why it couldn't be done again.
Twin-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #47
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to trx1
Arrow

If it were me, heres what id do:

stock tc: 6 cell spec packs,motors, 81/21 gearring ONLY! 4 min heats. 5 min mains. green dot compound only!

mod: hand out 12t motors, spec packs. green dot tires ONLY 4min heats 5 mains..

top3 in mod and top 3 in stock, race... 19t motors, spec packs, 1 race,five min!
trx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Kyle
After reading everyone's reply,I still see no good reason why TC races can't be extended to 6 min.
IT'S ONLY A MINUTE PEOPLE!!!
The argument about the extra time is hard on equipment...common.
We beat the s--t out of our stuff already(over gearing etc).That doesn't fly with me.
Besides...If people are worried about there equipment,then we should drop the MOD class!!!
People would adjust to keep there motors alive.
If TC races were 4 min before then lengthened to 5min...people adjusted.
I don't see why it couldn't be done again.
Agreed. I'm a race director at my local track and even with the boss breathing down my neck to get the race day over with by 5pm on sunday, I'm sure I could still fit all the races in easily even if sedan was changed to 6min. ROAR changed from 4min to 5min a few years back when our equipment reached a threshold with the advent of 2000mah cells. We are now almost at double that original threshold, reaching almost 4000mah (most of my new packs do reach 4000mah while charging!), so I see no reason 6min isn't a possibility. I would run 6min at my track, but without other tracks in the area following suit, anyone not familar with our system would be at a severe disadvantage, so we'd have to change every track to 6min all at once or not at all.

Someone create a poll so we can gauge how many people are FOR or against this idea so we can have some concrete numbers to bring to ROAR.. after all R/C Tech is pretty much THE rc forum, we should be able to get an accruate evaluation of the percentage of people in favor of changing this rule by doing a simple sample.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:20 AM   #49
Tech Elite

The only thing a longer race will do is provide the racer with more run-time..argue all you want about how an extra minute could change the outcome of a race, it's the same for everyone and you'll always have x amount of time to get the job done.

Nitro races can be LONG. Sometimes you'll get a to-the-last-corner dash in a 60 minute main but the trend with longer mains seems to be that the length of the race is directly proportional to how spread out the field will be.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:15 AM   #50
Tech Initiate

well at out club we always run 6min races even just with 3300's
180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:39 AM   #51
Tech Addict

Ran a one hour electric enduro a couple of weeks ago. Lap times were just as fast in the last few minutes as they were in the first few. This was with one motor on one set of tires. The "equipment" held up just fine and at the end of an hour the motor looked good enough to go another hour. Stock motor geared a little conservative.

Dave
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:52 AM   #52
Tech Elite

We ran outdoor asphalt electric stock and 19t at 7 minutes for awhile last year, then went down to six minutes. Hardly anyone had issues with dumping or motors not lasting.

I think in a way, racing is getting too easy with these great batts and motors. Just about anyone can be a contender if they can keep their car on the track. Just gear the crap out of the motor, and charge at 10 amps, and your car will be fast as heck.

It used to be somewhat about finesse, timing (on the track) and gearing and things were so important. Those who didn't finish, didn't finish first....
Now its about how hard we can rape our stuff. If we made stock races, say 10 minutes, you would see people tuning their motors, gearing, and driving more conservatively(run time wouln't even hardly be an issue with 3300's let alone 3800's). In that sense, your tires and such probably wouldn't even hardly wear faster, infact they would wear slower, as in how many minutes you got on a set. Touring has almost become Drag Racing.

Lets have the racing come back to the driver.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:52 AM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Run 20 cars at one time and have 8 min races. Event holders can knock out two heats at one time and save 2 min. It's a win, win for race organizers and racers... More chances for multiple lead changes, more chances for tighter racing, and best for all, more chances for crashes and carnage.
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:33 AM   #54
Tech Regular

People are still bringing up their CLUB RACES longer races, To me that is great the clubs are doing that, but trying to get ROAR to do longr races at NATIONALS is still the TOPIC that no one is looking at. When you have 300+ entries, adding 1 minute is adding 1-2 more hours to an already extremely long day.

If a poll is set up, make sure to have a designation between national participant and non-national participant then ask whether or not they want longer races. I would still be that 75% of the people who want longer races do not even attend national level races.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:59 AM   #55
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadn1
Run 20 cars at one time and have 8 min races. Event holders can knock out two heats at one time and save 2 min. It's a win, win for race organizers and racers... More chances for multiple lead changes, more chances for tighter racing, and best for all, more chances for crashes and carnage.
ummm... no. this is not demolition derby
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #56
Tech Addict

When was the last time Roar had 300 entries at a national?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:24 AM   #57
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave
You have a point, but at the paved nats this year there was only 207 entries, and I would guess that 20-30 drivers ran multiple classes, so you had 170 people. Out of that 170 people, how many of them are the ones who are here wanting longer races at a NATIONAL level? I would bet less than 15% of them. Out of the ones wanting longer races, I would bet that 50% of them only run at the club elevel and do not attend major events outside their state.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #58
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S

Someone create a poll so we can gauge how many people are FOR or against this idea so we can have some concrete numbers to bring to ROAR.. after all R/C Tech is pretty much THE rc forum, we should be able to get an accruate evaluation of the percentage of people in favor of changing this rule by doing a simple sample.

Now this is a great idea.I'd do it but don't know how.Could someone please set this up??

Aaron W...This was the purpose of this topic,more track time for TC.
8 min is a touch long and 5min is way too short.This is why it needs to be increased to 6 min.
Twin-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Like T. Thomas said, most of you who want longer races are only talking about races at club level. If you got the big races increased to 6 minutes, you're adding a lot of time to a very long day, at the national level or higher, i.e. IIC, Cleveland, Snowbirds, Novak Race, etc... These are the big events anyway. Not ROAR events. And many racers use club racing as a way to prepare for bigger events that will always be 5 minutes. If the guys in your club want to run 6 minute races, fine. Have at it. But it's not going to do anyone any good who's serious about going to big races and is using their club races to help him get ready for the big ones. I know I wouldn't. I don't go to a lot of big races, maybe 3-4 a year. But they are the highlights of the year for me and I do spend most of my time club racing getting ready for those few races. I know quite a few others who do the same.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:16 AM   #60
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave

1998 ROAR Mod Offroad Nationals in Chicago, IL.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote