R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Love Big Races-but too Long!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/92335-love-big-races-but-too-long.html)

rayhuang 11-30-2005 08:40 PM

Love Big Races-but too Long!!

Since everyone whos anyone is here on RCTech-I wanted to toss open an idea for shortening the big races to 3 days. Its just getting harder and harder to make 2 or 3 or 4 big races a year. It not only costs a lot, but theres lost vacation time and for me-its about finances and family!! I just dont want to be gone that long and an extra day at a race is a $300 no matter how you slice and dice it. Between lost wages or vaca time, theres another day in the hotel, food, tires, brushes, busted parts and the list goes on and on.

Anyone else feel the same?

I think anyone who complains they need the practice to get dialed in-I say whatever. Everyone has as few laps on a layout as everyone else-so it doesnt matter.

Ray

dakrat 11-30-2005 08:46 PM

ditto

A_Stratus 11-30-2005 08:47 PM

I agree... I would have loved to have raced in Cleveland this past weekend. I wasn't able to take 4 days off of grade 12 school. Plus if I was to take work with me, I know I'd be having too much fun and wouldn't do it anyways lol

In the way I disagree with it is, with all the people (496???) we'd only get to go on the track 2x to setup our car and learn the layout. Which can kind of be difficult to do at times.

Anyways, thats just how I feel... might add something else later.
Aaron

rayhuang 11-30-2005 08:48 PM

The Champs used to be from Thursday to Sunday-4 days. I can live with that, but its now 5 and its a killer. I hate Wednesday practice!!

P-DUB 11-30-2005 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by rayhuang
Since everyone whos anyone is here on RCTech-I wanted to toss open an idea for shortening the big races to 3 days. Its just getting harder and harder to make 2 or 3 or 4 big races a year. It not only costs a lot, but theres lost vacation time and for me-its about finances and family!! I just dont want to be gone that long and an extra day at a race is a $300 no matter how you slice and dice it. Between lost wages or vaca time, theres another day in the hotel, food, tires, brushes, busted parts and the list goes on and on.

Anyone else feel the same?

I think anyone who complains they need the practice to get dialed in-I say whatever. Everyone has as few laps on a layout as everyone else-so it doesnt matter.

Ray

Totally agree and I think the Reedy Race is the perfect race (schedule wise)!!!! No open practice...You run controlled practice, you qualify, you race and 99% of the time everyone finishes in the same order as if there was 3 days of open practice!

If you look at all the large european races they are mostly 3-day events (Fri-Sun) :sneaky:

EddieO 11-30-2005 08:55 PM

cleveland doesn't have open practice either.....all controlled, they just have two days of it....

Later EddieO

P-DUB 11-30-2005 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by EddieO
cleveland doesn't have open practice either.....all controlled, they just have two days of it....

Later EddieO

Sup Eddie...Congrats on Cleveland! Yeah, I know that, but Cleveland wasn't mentioned when I began typing...Hunt and peck method :ha:

cornerspeed 11-30-2005 09:10 PM

I agree with the above mentioned, big races burn me out. I don't think they show potential of some drivers actual abilities(like my own). It reflects on me in many ways that I can't describe, I think. They are not as fun and too long in between runs. I think it was posted before on another thread that on track time compared to how long at the track was rediculous.

ChadCapece 11-30-2005 09:14 PM

On Sunday, if you get to the track at 8am and leave at 6pm, then you just spent 10 hours to drive your car for 5 minutes.

P-DUB 11-30-2005 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
On Sunday, if you get to the track at 8am and leave at 6pm, then you just spent 10 hours to drive your car for 5 minutes.

That is one thing I truly miss about nitro racing...WAY more track time and you always have a chance to move up on main day :nod:

J.Filipow 11-30-2005 09:20 PM

I think one problem is that everyone wants to host a "big" race and everyone wants to attend one. There are too many events competing/conflicting with each other for attendance/participation; most racers have limited time and resources. I also agree with Paul and Don...The Reedy Race has an ideal format, IMO. CONTROLLED PRACTICE only! ROAR should adopt this policy for it's national events and I know many are in agreement with me on that!!

Mr. Shookie 11-30-2005 09:49 PM

I agree with Don Paul and Jay. But the Reedy Race has one thing that those big races has. Limited entry.
I think that if they would limit the total entries...
I mean lets be real. How many of these people can hang in the top 50-60 in the nation. If this were an actual sport you would have to qualify for Nationals not just pay your entry.
I say top 75 of each classes. Actually have a Regional than take the top 8 from each region for each class and call it quits.
That way you have 8 heats of each class and then three days is enough for Nationals....same goes for the Worlds top 75 from each region...North America, Asia, Europe, South America and on...
Now granted I am not top 30 in my region but I know it.
Now for those fun races...I.E. Reedy, KO, Novak, Champs, Snowbirds and on...
Limit it to 350 entries.
Factory guys get only 19T and MOD no Stock so guys who can not compete at that level will have a chance at glory...LOL
But it will never happen because of one really big reason..$$$$$ track owners and race promoters want it...
Now lets just say Scotty did it right at the IIC ran the tightest race schedule ever.
If the other tracks could duplicate that show then bump up the entry limit.
There should be some end to the madness.
OK RANT OVER.....
-Shookie <><

MikeR 11-30-2005 11:31 PM

Ditto- the bang for the buck is never there. If entries aren't limited then set up two tracks if possible:sneaky:. Todays radio gear can handle it.

seaball 12-01-2005 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Limited entry.

:nod: to me, a big race is defined by talent, not enrollment.

howard hudson 12-01-2005 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by seaball
:nod: to me, a big race is defined by talent, not enrollment.

I agree.