R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #46
Tech Elite

That just goes back to the races here in the U.S. needing to step it up to be on par with the rest of the country. I wasn't at the IIC (or Cleveland for that matter) but I heard good and bad things from people that were at each of those races.

I've been to off-road races all over the place and I have yet to see one compare to the IFMAR Worlds in Sweden. It sounds like the IIC was the same kinda thing in terms of on-road. If the races are run correctly, you won't hear people complaining.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #47
Tech Elite

It is hard to run more cars unless the track layout is slower. Oval races only do 8 cars at most for the speed reason. Mainly to give the marshall enough time to hop, skip and grab the car out of the way before somebody else boots it 3 rows into the seats. The last snowbirds on-road layout was quuuiite short. 10-15 feet of dead space on the ends. could have slapped an extra 30-40 ft of running line in. But in order to fit more cars on any track it has to be slower. 12th might be able to fit 12 in there.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Murray
...With all the new technology in personal transponders and 2.4 radios, would it be too far fetched to increase the amount of racers in a heat/main from 10 to 12-15???..
It seems like a sound idea. But the traffic is a killer. We've indirectly implemented what we call a 2 scond rule for the amount of cars in the mains. If a lap took the fast guy 12 seconds, no more than 6 in the heat (2 seconds per car). Any more than that (without a heat full of top class drivers) is a demo derby...

20 second lap, 10 cars is fine.... yadda...

just my .02

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #49
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have to throw my hat into the ring with the guys who've said Vegas is where it's at. Nice weather, great atmosphere, the race is run extremely well, the annoucing is spot on...the list goes on and on.

I'm serious: if you have to choose one large race to attend per year, this is the one to attend.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
It seems like a sound idea. But the traffic is a killer. We've indirectly implemented what we call a 2 scond rule for the amount of cars in the mains. If a lap took the fast guy 12 seconds, no more than 6 in the heat (2 seconds per car). Any more than that (without a heat full of top class drivers) is a demo derby...

20 second lap, 10 cars is fine.... yadda...

just my .02
1 second intervals or we could use the old standby, grid set row starts. - just don't paint the carpet the color of the pipes or carpet
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #51
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Combine the complaints that major races are too long along with some saying that we should have longer runs because of battery technology (especially with LiPo getting more popular), and we'll be down to 1 Qualifier and 1 Main..

The day was 24 hours long back then, it still is now, and isn't changing anytime soon (we can all wish..), so something else has gotta give.. the number of entries, or you simply have to run an ultra-smooth operation with a strict timetable and no concessions. I guess we'll be using the IIC as a benchmark from here on in..
Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I'm really just asking if the promoters and racers would prefer:

Glorified club races are 1-day (2-days with open practice day).

Big race, but not National (150 to 250 entry races) 3-days MAX.

National events (Champs, Vegas, ROAR nats) 4-days max.

IFMAR/World Championship level event 5 days max.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #53
Tech Elite

There are way too many classes at most of the big races. Why does there need to be four classes for each car type? Limit the entires and get rid of stock to start. Heck I would even get rid of Masters, but that is another argument.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #54
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
I'm really just asking if the promoters and racers would prefer:

Glorified club races are 1-day (2-days with open practice day).

Big race, but not National (150 to 250 entry races) 3-days MAX.

National events (Champs, Vegas, ROAR nats) 4-days max.

IFMAR/World Championship level event 5 days max.
WORD......
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
There are way too many classes at most of the big races. Why does there need to be four classes for each car type? Limit the entires and get rid of stock to start. Heck I would even get rid of Masters, but that is another argument.

But then every one that shows up to the event do not get a trophy
Old 12-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Quote:
True....
If this is a LARGE, Nats, Champs, WORLDS.....
Than get rid of Stock, Stock motors were designed for novice and intermediate guys....They don't really need to be at a Nats or CHamps of WORLDS either.
Look at KO Grand Prix USA...
They only have 19t Spec and Open Mod...
Lots of guys 200 run in two days and you can still be home in time for dinner each night.
Could add more entries but being home before midnight on Sunday is always good for work on Monday.
CUT STOCK....Heck I am moving up to 19T because there is too many old people who stay in stock and 19T is fading...
If your fast with a stock you can handle a 19T....Or GOSH even the mighty MOD's...Sorry if this stings but if your fast prove it with a faster motor...
Besides look at the lap times....Heck I have seen a guy turn .2 sec per lap slower with a well tuned stock then with a 19T...sheesh why bother with Stock altogether...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinR
But then every one that shows up to the event do not get a trophy
ROFLOL.....boo hoo...racing model cars for plastic trophies....
Granted Express has the best TQ trophies that could have been thought of...
McMoney pit boards...NICE...
-SHookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Old 12-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Murray
Before you all laugh at this, give it a little though....

With all the new technology in personal transponders and 2.4 radios, would it be too far fetched to increase the amount of racers in a heat/main from 10 to 12-15???

This alone would cut the time down considerably to make it more managable.

Just a wAcKY thought....
the local track that frank calandra races at runs 15 in a race

Quote:
I have been saying this for 10 years Rick. ever since they added novice rookie spec tire with equalizer motor class to oval classes at our local track. we only had 30 entrees total any given friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
The day was 24 hours long back then, it still is now, and isn't changing anytime soon (we can all wish..), so something else has gotta give.. the number of entries, or you simply have to run an ultra-smooth operation with a strict timetable and no concessions. I guess we'll be using the IIC as a benchmark from here on in..
and the Mains at Vegas DID NOT RUN ON SCHEDULE they had the same BS with needing a minute and introductions. plus the one hour FUBAR in the schedule that they printed off the first time. I had to take off monday just so I could make my flight as it wasn't done till near 8pm that night.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:

Well, a lot of Masters people like to race each other rather than the young people that quite frankly kick our butts. Plus it really doesn't add to the overall time if we were going to attend anyway. Three heats of Masters doesn't take any longer than three heats of regular stock.

Who knows about 19t and stock, lot's of opinions on that one.

Limit entries, you bet! Cleveland would have been much nicer with 400 rather than 500.

Ted
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack
Well, a lot of Masters people like to race each other rather than the young people that quite frankly kick our butts. Plus it really doesn't add to the overall time if we were going to attend anyway. Three heats of Masters doesn't take any longer than three heats of regular stock.

Who knows about 19t and stock, lot's of opinions on that one.

Limit entries, you bet! Cleveland would have been much nicer with 400 rather than 500.

Ted
True. If everyone who planned on racing stock raced another class instead, the problem would remain. Take away stock (or Masters) class and you might get a few people who will decide to not race. Then limit the entires.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote