R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground-round
I think some are missing the point. Except for a handful of people in the world, this is just a hobby. You participate at whatever level you desire. You don't want to take vacation time and spend the extra $$ to attend a big event...don't. I think once a driver reaches a certain level (local hot-shot who maybe has some limited level of sponsorship) they feel they have to attend some of these races. Guess what, you don't.

There ya go
Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #32
Suspended

Exclamation

My one suggestion: Enough with the 15 minute long pre-A-Main introductions!

At the Champs, there were 8 A-Mains. Some of which there was a 10 minute break for anyone that might be back-to-back.

Then spend another 10 minutes introducing everyone. Then another 2 minutes wiping off tires and setting the grid.

Ya know what....You get to list just THREE sponsors, ONE special thanks, your hometown, and name. On to the next person.

When you start introducing 80 different drivers, each with a list of sponsors and thank-yous a mile long, nobody cares! After the first couple, nobody is listening anymore! It all just runs together in one big blah-blah-blah.

A lot of racers like to stay and watch the A Mains, but not when you have to sit through all of that!
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

My thoughts- Most of the time it's not the money that is the factor in having to be there the extra couple days, it's vacation days that's needed to be there.

There's probably easily $3000 worth of stuff I take to the race track (as most of us here I'm sure). If you can justify spending that much on equipment, you can throw out another $30 for a room and $20 for food that extra day.

Problem is, there's 7 major races a year that have that "extra day" (if you tried to attend most of the big ones).

However, I enjoy being away from home and hanging out with other racers who I only see at these races, and doing the bench racing, meals, parties, etc. That's the other half of the fun of going.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #34
Tech Master

CypressMW. Scotty is accpeting applications for the staff of the IIC for 06....
Old 12-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
CypressMW. Scotty is accpeting applications for the staff of the IIC for 06....
Really! Charlie, you tha man! Do you think the great Scotty might be interested in having an extra anounncer, even if it were lowly old me?
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #36
Tech Regular

The biggest problem that I have is running from 7:00 to 2:00 every night. It's just plain stupid. The only way to reduce the long days is to limit the entries. 10 heats is at least an hour allowing only 1 minute between heats (way more if some are 12th). So, 400 entries instead of 500 (or so) saves a ton of time.

I don't care how you limit the entries but 400 entries is plenty.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RC Racing Has Gotten WAY WAY WAY too Commercialized. It Used to be a Handful of local Racers (With Personalities or You got asked to Leave) Got together in a City Park with a few Utimas, Optima Mids, RC10's, JRx2's and we had FUN. Now Club race entry fee's are up to $15.00. The so Called Pro Drivers Run around Like they are Celebrities (Not all of them) Greg Hodapp and Ray Darroch are Two of the most Pleasant Racers/People I have met in a Long Time. The atmosphere Really Sucked in Cleveland, I think the Organizers/Promoters are Kind of Money Hungry and Not Really Nice at all. No wonder the Numbers are Down. I was Kind of Forwarned about the Atmosphere. But, I have never been to Cleveland so This was the First and last Time I will go. OUT OF CONTROL/ATE UP/COMMERCIALIZED/OVERPRICED Congratulations Mike for PULFERIZING the Competition I Could'nt have been More Proud You PULFERIZED Them Congratulations Ray Darroch for Making the Modified Touring Main You kicked some Serious Commercialized Asses IT'S WHAT YOU DO And Yes Ray Huang That Race was WAYYYY TOOOO LONNNNG.
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
The biggest problem that I have is running from 7:00 to 2:00 every night. It's just plain stupid. The only way to reduce the long days is to limit the entries. 10 heats is at least an hour allowing only 1 minute between heats (way more if some are 12th). So, 400 entries instead of 500 (or so) saves a ton of time.

I don't care how you limit the entries but 400 entries is plenty.
More Entries the More Money and Crappier Ran Event
Old 12-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Default More entries = more money

Not that I have a 20 year long history of attending, but this was probably the last Cleveland I will go to.

I am so sick of paying big money to:
- listen to announcers whining about wanting free merchandise
- having A mains take 3 hours because of all of the waiting around
- having inconsistent decisions made on when a heat would wait for someone as opposed to when it wouldn't
- using old, warped plywood instead of getting new tongue/groove
- waiting for an old $50 printer because of a reluctance to buy a newer one
- showing up for 7 am starts that never started at 7 am
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #40
Tech Elite

It used to not be timed on an unprepared track. nor did buying the land, paying taxes, mortgage, insurance prems, etc etc come into play. Or in many of these cases, location rented, track materials supplied, hand-out motors.. or in otherwords, organized.
Mason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys
Not that I have a 20 year long history of attending, but this was probably the last Cleveland I will go to.

I am so sick of paying big money to:
- listen to announcers whining about wanting free merchandise
- having A mains take 3 hours because of all of the waiting around
- having inconsistent decisions made on when a heat would wait for someone as opposed to when it wouldn't
- using old, warped plywood instead of getting new tongue/groove
- waiting for an old $50 printer because of a reluctance to buy a newer one
- showing up for 7 am starts that never started at 7 am
I don't know the entry fees for the race but, if its not run well, its just not run well. Doesn't matter if you're in the backyard or at the world champs.

edit: just checked out the entry form. I am assuming stock and 19 are hand-outs. it doesn't specify that they are, only that you can buy extras. $5 difference for bringing your own motor or racing a handout? LMAO CRAZY

announcers wanting free merchandise? lol. after 200 entries you can pretty much throw waiting out the window. wood, thats on them. what the hell are you waiting on a printer for? any decent race program will allow them to print it out later if somebody has to buy ink/paper/a new one lol. sounds like these guys woke up on the wrong side of the bed that week.

Last edited by Mason; 12-01-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Mason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

If you Kissed Enough a$$ for the last 10 Years there....Yes they would wait for You even long eough to Run back to your room and solder in Your Motor Correctly. If you are not one For Sucking up You wer F*%^ed. WE DONT HAVE TIME WE GOT 500 Entries. Lets Roll Em.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Great topic guys.....

I'm a big fan of the "big" races even though I have neither the time nor talent to go anymore. I went to Cleveland once in '94 (YIKES!!!!) and had one of the best time of my life!!!!!

Now, I enjoy reading the live coverages and following our local budS on the 'net....

I just wanted to throw this idea out there to see if it would have any merit on future "big" events.

Before you all laugh at this, give it a little though....

With all the new technology in personal transponders and 2.4 radios, would it be too far fetched to increase the amount of racers in a heat/main from 10 to 12-15???

This alone would cut the time down considerably to make it more managable.

Yes, a track layout would have to be redesigned to accomadate extra vehicles, and wouldn't be as technical (i.e. wider lanes), but the extra cars on the track might be even more exciting for the drivers and spectators....

Maybe not for 1/10th scale, but maybe for 1/12th???

Like someone said before, 1/12th scale takes up the most time at any event....

We, as race directors/promoters, need to take advantage of this new technology too.....

Just a wAcKY thought....
Ray Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:20 PM   #44
Tech Elite

I don't think lower entries are going to fix anything..cut practice down (like, in half) and even RAISE entries...more entries means more people at our events, that's more money for the track, more reason for the companys to sponsor the event, and more people having fun.

We just need to stop putting events in the middle of nowhere. Pick a place where racers with a family can spend their vacation time and not feel guilty about it. Vegas is an obvious choice, Florida, San Diego, other places like that where you can turn your wife and two kids loose for a couple days and they won't hate you for dragging them along.

I agree there are many cases where a race schedule should be tightened up but driver introductions are not one of them. That five minutes, fifteen minutes, half hour, or whatever..is the time that the people who earned the right get to publicly thank the people who helped them get there. As a racer, that's one of the most exciting parts of the weekend.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #45
Tech Rookie

the problem is not with the entrys. the iic had 3 mi in between each race and no min grace it didnt matter if you were a world champ or not after 3 race went off. the handout with the time of your race was awesome you knew right to the min on when to you had to be ready. most people run two classes at big races and runing all the b, c, and so on together sucks if a driver is in the c in one class he most likely will be in the c in his 2nd or close to it by far the iic was the best race i have ever been to. not because of the location but with how well it was ran. if every national event was ran like this this thread would not be here
R Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote