R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ray... i too understand what you mean.. but thats why i opted to pick my races... Snowbirds for one. And any other local "big" race thats in driving distance.... but then again anywhere in US is driving distance!!!
As my other racer buddies are at big races im at work, I really thought about going to Cleveland this year(i have never raced there before)... but then i thought about the enviornment.. i would rather save it and wait for Snowbirds and possibly IIc race...
I too get burned out after big races... usually get stressed and dissapointed with my results...How much time i took off and money i spent..
I usually take a break from racing all summer because i would rather do something on my weekends other than racing..... but i always make it a point to get back into it for Snowbirds!!

You know in any form of racing, your gonna spend money, take time off.... Just start limiting yourself if you have to!!
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #17
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

But isn't the Snowbirds even worse then Cleveland ? Doesn't practice start on Tuesday thru Thursday and then qualifying starts on Friday with Mains on Sunday ? And its only 3 qualifiers and a main ??????

- RC Gears for Android - Find it in the Android Market
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #18
Tech Elite

You have to look at the overall picture. Places like Orlando or Vegas are "vacation" towns. Many people get there the weekend before to enjoy the place with family. Orlando has been a bit more family/kid friendly in the past but Vegas has been turning it up a notch.

Not every event is a race just to be a race. They aren't billed as just a race either.

I agree with most people about races that are just races. no practice mon-thur, Fri controlled (maybe a round of qual depending on # of rounds), Sat Quals, Sun Mains. Most people want to get home and get back to work on Monday so they aren't burning a vacation/*sick* day on sleeping in. You could be using that at some other race.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:00 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree with Paul. Reedy is the perfect race schedule. Limited entries and 4 days. Vegas was great, but maybe one day too long. By Sunday I just wanted to run my mains and take off. But with that many people, plus you throw 1/12 scale in there with 8 minute heats, and that extends the days a lot. I don't know if I'd be able to handle the 'Birds. But controlled practice is something that I think ALL major events should have, just like we do at Reedy and Vegas.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Some of those larger races could benefit from 2 rounds of qualifying and using bump ups - Paul could get his track time.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I understand what people are saying as I would love to go to more bigger races but time, money and vacation limit that. Vegas was the first big race I ever attended and was quite impressed with how well it ran. I don't have anything else to compare it to but most seemed to think the samething as I. I know with it being in LV it was more of a fun time for my wife, I was just too busy to do anything else while there. Plus for me LV is only a 5 1/2 drive from SLC. I could not even begin to imagine what I would have to do to get my stuff packed in such a way to fly anywhere. I have no experience with that at all. I only do races I can drive to at the moment.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Controlled practices for sure! The most time I've ever spent at a big race was 4 days and by the time Sunday rolled around I was ready to hit the road,two - three days is plenty for me.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i think a 3-day fri/sat/sun is great. friday practice, qualifying on sat, mains on sunday. but then.. if you have a horrendously huge turnout, then 3 days wont cut it unless the track is running from 5am-5am formats ;|

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
(edited)

... but theres lost vacation time ...an extra day at a race is a $300 no matter how you slice and dice it.

Ray
http://www.atsushihara.com/schedule.html

go pro! get paid to travel and go racing.. check out Hara's schedule. LOL.

ahhh the price we pay for our hobby... doncha love it.
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #24
Tech Elite

that would mainly be an issue for outdoor county park racing where they are usually closed from dusk to dawn.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I think 4 days is doable for a National caliber event like Vegas or Champs. I think 5 days is insane and I have never talked to a racer who didnt think the race they were at could have been done in 4 days!

If theres an extra day of practice-well-you got to be there because everyone else is. I also think its nuts to see "glorified" club races stretched to 4 days too.

I like what some of you are saying about just not giving a hoot by Sunday.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I think some are missing the point. Except for a handful of people in the world, this is just a hobby. You participate at whatever level you desire. You don't want to take vacation time and spend the extra $$ to attend a big event...don't. I think once a driver reaches a certain level (local hot-shot who maybe has some limited level of sponsorship) they feel they have to attend some of these races. Guess what, you don't. A buddy of mine(real fast local guy) had been attending the Snowbirds every year since they combined the Oval and Roadcourse. Last year he didn't go. Ask him and he'll tell you it was the best decision he ever made.

For 99.9% of us, no one cares if we show up or not!
ground-round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, I think the Champs could be done in 4 days, but I'm one of the few who has to listen to 60 or 70 people whine about not getting enough practice, hence Wednesday evening practice, and three rounds on Thursday at the Champs. I distinctly remember people saying how well the 2K4 Champs went with the extra day. I'd prefer to do it in a four day format, two rounds Thursday, two rounds of Qualifying Friday and Saturday, then Mains on Sunday. I need to see the Vegas thing first hand next year. Anybody know if Scotty needs any help?
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #28
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

240 entries open practice friday 3 rounds saturday one sunday and the mains. which race was this? the halloween classic in cleveland. I took off at 5 on thursday practiced friday raced saturday and was back in NASHVILLE 8 hours away 2am monday morning. but then again it's 240 entries not 440+ for IIC 500+ for cleveland or 800+ for snowbirds. you double the days for the entrees.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

A four day format isn't really that bad,as long as it's done right.

Thursday - controlled practice all day.
Friday - controlled practice first part of the day,club race that evening/night,lets you shake your car down in a race environment.
Sat- Heats
Sun - Mains

Something close to this anyway,like was said it would depend on the # of entries.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground-round
You don't want to take vacation time and spend the extra $$ to attend a big event...don't.
I decided as well not to race at Cleavland that just passed (I had the time off already and could afford it).

I would have had fun racing, but I had more fun just watching and hanging out with every one. I enjoy club racing, club racing is most fun because of all the people that are there!

(FYI, if you get a chance to come to a club race at Action Hobbies, do so! It's always fun with a large turnout (Friday nights), and don't expect to get into the A-main unless you have your game on! )
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote