R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Checkpoint didnt design their motor for Roar rules as it will never be used for a handout at a Roar race anyway. They vent holes on the side of the can do not meet roar rules either (another stupid rule on Roar's part). When I asked Dewayne about it he said that he had spoke with Roar about the vent holes before they decieded on a hemi wound arm and Roar said that they would NOT legalize the motor like it was with the vent hole being too close to the end of the can. And Checkpoint was NOT going to redesign their entire can just to make Roar happy as it is the same can as the Mod motor other than the notch. So they decided to use the Hemi wound arm as well since it will be competing agains the Reedy motor head to head on the track's as 99% of the tracks in the country do not use Roar rules for the 19 turn motor rules.

EA
Have you seen how big the are??? Yeah .0020" is just too big to have the motor approved. I see why ROAR wouldn't approve it...NOT!!!
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #107
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
Have you seen how big the are??? Yeah .0020" is just too big to have the motor approved. I see why ROAR wouldn't approve it...NOT!!!

Yea I know Fred....Ive got some sitting in front of me...Im not bashing Checkpoint...I do not blame them. I would not change it either.... I was just stating why they would not be roar legal and what Duane had told me.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yea I know Fred....Ive got some sitting in front of me...Im not bashing Checkpoint...I do not blame them. I would not change it either.... I was just stating why they would not be roar legal and what Duane had told me.

EA

I am in total agreement with them (CP) and you.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #109
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I only see 2 capacitors on the motor...
is there a third? or do I need to solder another one?

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies
I only see 2 capacitors on the motor...
is there a third? or do I need to solder another one?
There's no need for a third. It will be fine.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #111
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
There's no need for a third. It will be fine.

THanks!

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #112
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

FYI/Update...

I ran the "money" motor in my MF2 during a practice night at the local indoor offroad track -- it's a BIG track, with lots of big jumps...

With the stock springs, the motor seems to have allowed WAY too much brush bounce. geared conservatively (based on other motors I've run and on TD45 RPM readings, etc.) it only took two (2) practice runs to turn the comm that nasty purple/gray color that shows bad brush contact. the portion of the comm outside the brush track was that red/brass color that indicated over heating. The motor also had the odor of excess comm heat...

The stock springs appear to just be too soft to handle the vibration and hammering that offroad produces. I have the stiffer springs to put in (Medium/Hard Silver), so we'll see how that works...

This in no way is a "slam" on the motor -- it ran strong and never faded on the track during these two runs, it just was very "unhappy" in terms of temp due to the brush bounce...
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:04 PM   #113
Regional Moderator

I gave my Money Motor a run this weekend in my sedan on a medium sized carpet track with foams. Heres what I found:

-First I noticed that there was a lot of arching on the comm by the positive brush. This was as I was breaking it in. I thought it was a bit much, but I wanted to run it as is first.

-My first run with the motor, I geared it at about 6.13, which is much more conservative than the 5.8 many people mentioned here. The thing was ballistic!!! The top speed was a bit much for the track, but it was clearly a fast motor. The temp coming off the track was 140 degrees. Hotter than my C2 motors, but there seemed to be no ill effects

-After about 3-4 total runs, I wanted to open the motor up for the first time. First thing I noticed was that there were no balancing cuts on the arm, so I hope that just means I got a perfectly balanced one without the need for adjustment at the factory. There was some burning on the comm, obviously from the arching I first saw when I broke in the motor. I cut the comm on my Cobra lathe and found that the comm wasn't cut perfectly flat from the factory.

-So I cut the comm and rebuilt it, broke it in again and gave the brushes a chance to reseat with the newly perfect comm. After that, the arching was gone.

-Motor was very smooth and the comm showed no more signs of burning.

*The higher running temp doesn't seem to have any effect on the performance, the motor didn't soften at all during the 5 min race.
*I expect that with rubber tires and on a more flowing track, the temps will drop a good 10 degrees at least. Carpet racinig (with the high traction and heavy throttle usage) is tough on motors.

*I'm very happy with the motor. I do plan on trying the Infinity brushes and maybe some different springs.

Very worth while purchase.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #114
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

I experience the same but it seemd the performance was not afected.
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Got mine today I'm looking to race this motor on big flowing track. Can I gear this motor same as my C2?
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Got mine today I'm looking to race this motor on big flowing track. Can I gear this motor same as my C2?
You could start there, i went up a few teeth from my C2.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #117
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER

hey darksied my name is jason ertachter i run for checkpoint and i pretty much only race on rubber tire asphalt and if i can come off the track and my money motors only 140 i would be pretty happy on average mine are about 150 to 170 degrees i try to keep it no higher than 160 i run it about 15 to 20 times before i even think about opening just letting you know my thoughts
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #118
Tech Adept

Default If you want money motors...

www.jphracing.com, call or place an order online. Dont mean to sound push but we have more then anyone. Over 60 still left in stock. Just in case some of you are still having a hard time finding them. Ask for jake or dave.

For those looking for a good setup for the motor try:
Silver springs on the pos, and neg.

The only time I run o-rings in my motors is if I am using brakes, so I ditch all that stuff. 1 0.020 shim on the bottom of the arm shaft and then what ever it takes on top to shim out the slop. At least 0.005-0.010" endplay is still needed.

Drill a #56 hole in each brush. Clean the brushes with a fiberglass style comm stick, faces, all surfaces that contact the hoods... Dont use motor spray on the brushes. IMO it just makes the brushes arc more. Dont use comm drops.

Clean the hood with a q-tip spinning in a dremel. You can also use some contact cleaner on it if you run the motor a lot. It seems that these motors mod or 19t, are very dependent on good brush - hood contact and if that is not clean enough then you will see power suffer as a result.

Break-in the motor for at least 5 min, at 1.5 volts or what ever you like, w/fan. Let it cool then run it, or dyno it, or do what ever you want to do to it.

Last edited by JPHRacer; 04-12-2006 at 11:00 AM.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #119
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Approximately how big in inches is a #56 bit? 1/16" maybe?

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #120
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTRACHTER
hey darksied my name is jason ertachter i run for checkpoint and i pretty much only race on rubber tire asphalt and if i can come off the track and my money motors only 140 i would be pretty happy on average mine are about 150 to 170 degrees i try to keep it no higher than 160 i run it about 15 to 20 times before i even think about opening just letting you know my thoughts
Wow! Jason what was you FDR?