R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #91
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So the Infinity brush is better for power AND logevity? Because if thats the case, I would rather pick some up now, before I ever go out and run the motor.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
32 pretty tall order for rollout
Rollout the Atlas motors of all varieties at 32 to 34 depending on the track. From what we have all been told, the Money should have been way undergeared at 32. Still have some testing to do but overall not that impressed. The jury is still out on this motor for me.
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ran one last night for the first time in and FK04 on the dirt oval with 63mm tires. Started the same as my Reedy QM, a 5.87 fdr, it needed way more gear. We ran a 5.48 in the main and still think it needs more than that. Motor came off cool and still had great punch off the corners, I think once the gearing is right, it will be really good. The infinity brushes might not be as fast as the atlas brushes, they are a lot harder silver brush, may not be that much of a difference though. If you get 10 runs out of a set of atlas brushes then for 30 runs if would cost you $12 (3 sets of brushes) vs. 30 runs from one set of infinity brushes would be $10, so not that much of a difference
Old 04-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #94
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by polesitter61
If you get 10 runs out of a set of atlas brushes then for 30 runs if would cost you $12 (3 sets of brushes) vs. 30 runs from one set of infinity brushes would be $10, so not that much of a difference
plus you also are better off with the three new sets of brushes as i always find a 'sharper' feel with new brushes.
Bony85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #95
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Since there seems to be some debate as to which produces the most power, I guess I'll just stick with the Atlas brushes for my first outing next weekend. And play around with the gearing to see what makes the motor run best for our small/medium sized indoor carpet track.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #96
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Very good idea...should've taken your own advice in the first place O'Donnell came thru with this motor; I've used it for two days now and the motor rips (and I run it in my 12th scale) Coming out of the corners-YIKES!! Leave the Atlas brushes in (just gear correctly),the Infinity ones are optional 'hop-ups'

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 04-02-2006 at 12:02 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #97
Tech Adept

what roll out are useing it with in your 1/12?
thx
Lou
look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #98
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by look
what roll out are useing it with in your 1/12?
thx
Lou
With our layouts we try and keep it around 1.90-2.00

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 04-10-2006 at 12:10 AM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

OK -- Managed to pickup a "money" 19t at the LHS... Now I have a comment and a question...

COMMENT:
When seating the brushes, the motor seemed erratic... Then I tried to dyno it on my TD45 (@ 7.0v for Offroad 6-cell numbers)... REALLY erratic -- bizarre readings (RPM readings Way low at some readings, normal at others, with no pattern to it)... Pulled the motor off the dyno, pulled out the brushes and found fine copper debris in the hoods was hanging the brushes up... Cleaned the tubes with a Q-tip and solvent, cleaned the brushes and the comm... Back on the dyno -- Very normal, no more issues, GOOD numbers... Probably a one-off manufacturing or assembly issue at the source, but I thought I'd mention it -- "no harm, no foul" for me -- motor is fine now....

QUESTION:
Given the brush hang problem, and that the brush springs are (I believe) soft to medium in stiffness -- should I try stiffer springs for OFFROAD? The local indoor offroad track only runs 19t and Mod, so I want to try this motor there in my MF2 truck... With the vibration and landings (some big jumps), I now wonder about brush springs, but hate to change them if I don't have to...
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #100
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I took mine apart today and it is also Hemi wound.... so unless ROAR changed their rules (again) this motor wont be legal
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #101
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman
I took mine apart today and it is also Hemi wound.... so unless ROAR changed their rules (again) this motor wont be legal
Checkpoint didnt design their motor for Roar rules as it will never be used for a handout at a Roar race anyway. They vent holes on the side of the can do not meet roar rules either (another stupid rule on Roar's part). When I asked Dewayne about it he said that he had spoke with Roar about the vent holes before they decieded on a hemi wound arm and Roar said that they would NOT legalize the motor like it was with the vent hole being too close to the end of the can. And Checkpoint was NOT going to redesign their entire can just to make Roar happy as it is the same can as the Mod motor other than the notch. So they decided to use the Hemi wound arm as well since it will be competing agains the Reedy motor head to head on the track's as 99% of the tracks in the country do not use Roar rules for the 19 turn motor rules.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Thanks Eric. I agree that most tracks only care the motor is 19 turn tagged arm and locked timing. I just thought I read that this motor was being submitted for approval. I wish ROAR would get their act together on a sensible 19 turn rule
Old 04-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

ottoman, congrats on the empire taking down the wtcs championship in 19t foam. have you guys run that motor and figured out rollout on that motor yet? If so what size track and how did you like it ?
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet
ottoman, congrats on the empire taking down the wtcs championship in 19t foam. have you guys run that motor and figured out rollout on that motor yet? If so what size track and how did you like it ?
Thanks Wallstreet We ran a couple packs through it at Trackside Friday night.... same layout as the Hurricane Series race.... Power looked good... we rolled it out at 1.26... seemed pretty close.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

Can someone shine in on some roll out sugestions for 12th scale?
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote