R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #301
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS CHAVEZ
how many different springs are there for this motor?

How many colors and rates?

Is the silver spring the soft spring?

Thanks.
Springs & things are here

Money Motor includes medium stiffness, Gold coil springs
radio_car_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #302
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

hi everyone! sorry, this may have been asked before so dont flame me for asking again. just so much info here to go through.

i have been running the Komodo and Reedy Quad Mag motors recently and have already found a good gearing for each motor.

Question i have is, all things being equal (car, track size/layout, etc), how should i gear a CP 19T? Compared to lets say a KD or Reedy Quad? I have no idea if the CP is a torquey or more rpm-ish compared to the other two.

I know KD is a more RPM motor and at out track i gear it with a final drive of 6.36 (i run rubber tires on asphalt). A reedy quad on the other hand i would gear with a much taller pinon to get a final drive of about 5.80. In my Xray T2 using a 116T spur, thats a 3 tooth difference in pinion size.

Does the CP fall somewhere in between a reedy quad or KD?

Any help on a starting point would be great! Thanks!

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #303
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Couple of q's, I cut my comm for the first time and am switching to infinity/silver springs. I broke it in for 10 mins, should all the serations be gone on the brushes?
Is it ok to use shims that are wider than the ones it comes with? I lost one and the lhs only has a composite one, but it's wider than stock shim.

Is there any timing difference if the endbell is put on 180 out? I don't think it should change.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray
Couple of q's, I cut my comm for the first time and am switching to infinity/silver springs. I broke it in for 10 mins, should all the serations be gone on the brushes?
Is it ok to use shims that are wider than the ones it comes with? I lost one and the lhs only has a composite one, but it's wider than stock shim.

Is there any timing difference if the endbell is put on 180 out? I don't think it should change.
What voltage did you break the motor in at? The serrations should be about 75%-85% gone in the break-in ... some people like to even break-in brushes until the serations are completely gone. As for shims, as long as the arm does not bind, meaning it has the correct for-and-aft play, you should be okay - but a proper size shim (washer) is ideal.

With the endbell having a tab and the can having a notch, you can't install it 180 deg out unless you have cut the tab off.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #305
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
What voltage did you break the motor in at? The serrations should be about 75%-85% gone in the break-in ... some people like to even break-in brushes until the serations are completely gone. As for shims, as long as the arm does not bind, meaning it has the correct for-and-aft play, you should be okay - but a proper size shim (washer) is ideal.

With the endbell having a tab and the can having a notch, you can't install it 180 deg out unless you have cut the tab off.
I used 4v because thats what I was told to use, but reading this thread most used 2, I'd say they are about 75% gone.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:08 PM   #306
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray
I used 4v because thats what I was told to use, but reading this thread most used 2, I'd say they are about 75% gone.
Run the motor at 2V for another 6-8 min.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #307
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Run it at 2v for 4 minutes and then 4 volts for 1.5 minutes.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:03 AM   #308
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBORAT
hi everyone! sorry, this may have been asked before so dont flame me for asking again. just so much info here to go through.

i have been running the Komodo and Reedy Quad Mag motors recently and have already found a good gearing for each motor.

Question i have is, all things being equal (car, track size/layout, etc), how should i gear a CP 19T? Compared to lets say a KD or Reedy Quad? I have no idea if the CP is a torquey or more rpm-ish compared to the other two.

I know KD is a more RPM motor and at out track i gear it with a final drive of 6.36 (i run rubber tires on asphalt). A reedy quad on the other hand i would gear with a much taller pinon to get a final drive of about 5.80. In my Xray T2 using a 116T spur, thats a 3 tooth difference in pinion size.

Does the CP fall somewhere in between a reedy quad or KD?

Any help on a starting point would be great! Thanks!
The gearing for the Reedy Quad is a good starting point. But you may end up using a 1 to 3 tooth larger pinion.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #309
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What temperatures are you guys seeing on the CP when you pull it off the track after a race? I was using an FDR = 6.09 and it read a temperature of 195F. What would be the ideal temperature range, and do you gear basically inorder to keep it within that temperature range?
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #310
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX
What temperatures are you guys seeing on the CP when you pull it off the track after a race? I was using an FDR = 6.09 and it read a temperature of 195F. What would be the ideal temperature range, and do you gear basically inorder to keep it within that temperature range?
It somewhat depends on the track layout/grip, drive frequency of your ESC, driving style and air temperature. Keeping those things in mind (I'm easy on the throttle using a fairly high frequency on the ESC), for me there are two temp ranges that I shoot for.

Low grip/more than two straights/cool air temp: 165-185F
High grip/a lot of corners/hot air temp: 180-200F
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #311
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is it the consensus that the silver springs are the way to go with this motor (onroad, rubber)?
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #312
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX
Is it the consensus that the silver springs are the way to go with this motor (onroad, rubber)?
Definitely for TC racing. You may even benefit from adding a small shim on the pos side with the silver spring.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #313
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
Definitely for TC racing. You may even benefit from adding a small shim on the pos side with the silver spring.
what does this do.... add more spring tension ??
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #314
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
I've never heard about doing this, can you use shims to increase the brush length to run the infinity brushes until they're almost nothing? Or does the spring tension actually increase significantly with a shim?
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #315
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
I've never heard about doing this, can you use shims to increase the brush length to run the infinity brushes until they're almost nothing? Or does the spring tension actually increase significantly with a shim?
You can use them for both purposes. Adding the shim to the pos with the silver spring on a new motor will in effect increase the tension significantly.

To keep the tension after 4 to 6 runs, as the brushes wear down, just add the appropriate sized shim to each side.

You can get the shims from here.