R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #286
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER

lets keep this page on the front
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:39 AM   #287
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking AMP DRAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTRACHTER
lets keep this page on the front
I don't understand this motor. It's fast as all heck, compared to the other 19 turns but the amp readings on motor break-in are way lower then say the Komodo or the Reedy quad?
What am I missing here? I'm running the stock springs with the Infiniti brushes. Geared properly this motor flys!
Thanks in ampvanced!
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #288
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower
I don't understand this motor. It's fast as all heck, compared to the other 19 turns but the amp readings on motor break-in are way lower then say the Komodo or the Reedy quad?
What am I missing here? I'm running the stock springs with the Infiniti brushes. Geared properly this motor flys!
Thanks in ampvanced!
I have CP Moneys and Orion 19T that are ballistic on thr track but only pull 7A at 2v with a fan.

If you talk to any good motor guy they will tell you that to a degree no load amps mean nothing. It all about how it runs on the track. In fact too much amp draw will cause a late race fade in power due to heat and damage to the brushes and comm.

This is why sometimes you need to trim .010" or more from the traliing edge of the brush to reduce amp draw.

I never run any motor (Mod, 19 or Stock) over 9A at 2v with a fan. If I get more than that I break it in more or trim the trailing edge of the brush.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #289
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowster21
Silver springs, infinity brushes, roll it out around 32mm, HOLD ON TO YOUR A$$!!!!
This motor is as fast or faster than any Komodo out there and you don't have to tear it apart every run
Alright - I'll try that ... right now I have the stock (gold) springs and I have to say the motor is OK - just not a rocket like everyone on here is claiming.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #290
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Where are you geared? I have found that unless the motor is geared WAY up and right in the powerband, the motor feels flat (similar to the Reedy Quad flame). Once you get that sweet spot, it's VERY fast.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 AM   #291
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower
Thanks in ampvanced!
Max, next time you clean your CP19T, use some of the losi Red tire glue for bearing Oil... you will have a much greater amp Draw..... J?K

the Motor will have much higher amp reading..................

disclaimer
( dont really do this.................. you will ruin your motor )
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !

Last edited by JasonC; 09-29-2006 at 05:26 PM.
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #292
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
How did Bobby Flack gear the CP 19 in the IIC (rollout) - what springs and what brushes? Any other hints to get this motor to run faster?
I geared the Money motor at a 1.28 rollout. I know we went back and forth between brushes but I believe we ended up with the infinity's. I'm really not sure about the springs, I would say silver..hopefully Duane reads this and can help me out.

Hope this helps.
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #293
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Where are you geared? I have found that unless the motor is geared WAY up and right in the powerband, the motor feels flat (similar to the Reedy Quad flame). Once you get that sweet spot, it's VERY fast.
I tried it at around 32mm roll-out at my last club race and it was kind flat. I'll try changing springs and see if it helps. Hope it does - I love the theory behind the motor - and brushes. Add that I have been a Checkpoint fan since the original motors and I am hoping I can get this thing to rip.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #294
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
I tried it at around 32mm roll-out at my last club race and it was kind flat. I'll try changing springs and see if it helps. Hope it does - I love the theory behind the motor - and brushes. Add that I have been a Checkpoint fan since the original motors and I am hoping I can get this thing to rip.
Silver Springs make a BIG difference.....
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #295
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Having the arm shimed in the center of the magnets field is very important. This makes sure as much energy as possible goes into rotation as opposed to pulling the arm fore or aft back to magnetic center.
Can you tell me how do you know it's centered, I mean how can you measure it?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Flack
I geared the Money motor at a 1.28 rollout. I know we went back and forth between brushes but I believe we ended up with the infinity's. I'm really not sure about the springs, I would say silver..hopefully Duane reads this and can help me out.

Hope this helps.

Hey bobby how are you guys shimming the armature ? Are you guys using the standard rubber shim that comes with the motor or other types of shims ?
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #297
Tech Fanatic

how many different springs are there for this motor?

How many colors and rates?

Is the silver spring the soft spring?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #298
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

i also have another question for jason and or bobby

i take it you guys ran the infinity brushes at iic how many runs did you use the brushes for at a big race? Did you guys only use the brush once for each run ? Jason feel free to answer the shimming of the armature question also if you get to the post first.

* i know the infinity brushes last longer than the atlas but just wondering how many runs you guys used them for at a big race
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #299
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am having the same problem finding out how to gear my MSX for this car. I keep going up and up on the gearing but am afraid I am going to blow it out. Anyone able to give some tips on where to gear this motor with an MSX?

When are they coming out with the endbell fan for this motor as well? It would help alot.
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #300
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER

I USED 2 STES OF BRUSHES THE WHOLE WEEK AND SHIMMIMG I RUN AN ORING ON BOTH SIDES
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote